Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short pixie vintage style for curly hair?

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
My hair is wavy/curly. I can make it go really curly if I scrunch a lot, but otherwise it just waves mostly. I'm thinking about whacking it off really short. Can I get some opinions/suggestions? Would I look ok with it?

Here's my pic currently:

steelerme.jpg

Here's what I'm thinking about doing:

curlypixie.jpg

Thanks!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My mom has slightly curlier hair than yours, but it looks like the same texture and general size of curls. She also has a similar face structure to yours, although her's might be a bit more round. In the 70s she wanted a short layered cut, and took a picture to a stylist and had it cut. She got home and it looked horrid, nothing like the picture. She actually wept, but decided to wash it. It was her favorite haircut she ever had, and from the pictures, it looks like what you want to get. It was stunning on her.

Long story short, she went back to the stylist and the person who cut her hair was gone. :( She was never able to get the same cut.

So, I think it would look good and work well on your hair and texture. I think it would be quite stunning.

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
Oh thank you! I wish you had a pic of your mom with the cut. It's so darn hard to visualize what it will look like on me. I'm hoping it will be lower maintenance yet still fun, professional, or whatever I want it to be you know? I'm just so tired of this mane of hair I have around my head. Yet I'm terrified that when I cut it...it'll sproing up into all these curly-q's. I doubt it tho. I've always had to scrunch to get definition lol...but the prospect of a mini fro just scares me.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
My hair (in my avatar) is naturally curly... curlier than yours, by a little bit, and mine is now cut to my shoulders and is just a little curlier than it was when it was longer. If that helps at all. :)

crwritt

One Too Many
Oh thank you! I wish you had a pic of your mom with the cut. It's so darn hard to visualize what it will look like on me. I'm hoping it will be lower maintenance yet still fun, professional, or whatever I want it to be you know? I'm just so tired of this mane of hair I have around my head. Yet I'm terrified that when I cut it...it'll sproing up into all these curly-q's. I doubt it tho. I've always had to scrunch to get definition lol...but the prospect of a mini fro just scares me.

I think it would depend on your curl pattern. Does your hair curl near the root or does it wait a few inches before it wants to curl?
When I had my hair short, it went fairly straight. Maybe start with chin length uniform layers and see how you like it, then go shorter if it looks like it would work.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

I'm sorry, but I don't have a pic. :( I'm probably not going to see my mom anytime soon to ask her for one either.

When my mother's hair is shorter, it is curlier and more defined. When it is longer, the curls get a little bigger/ looser. I think crwitt's advice to look at where your curl starts is good. My mom's hair is more wavy towards the top of her hair when it is long, and curly if it is shorter. It is dark (black) and is somewhat fine but thick.

You might need to use some type of gel in it to get the look. I don't think you'll end up with a "fro" unless you brush it too much. And just as a warning: all the people I know who have short hair need to wet it in the morning to style it. (If they style it. But that is the small sample that I know, and I bet these people always have showered everyday).

I have neither short nor curly hair (curls skip every other generation in my mom's family) so I can't be much help in that department, I only know what I have learned from others.

ScarlettOhara

New in Town
Thanks for the help everyone! Here it is! I like it....now granted she had to take the flat iron to it, but when you have hair this short, I don't think you have to worry about damage as much. I'll have to go back so often for trims (i.e.- 4 to 6 weeks) that damage isn't as much a concern I'm figuring. And I do still have old faithful the flat iron packed away in my bathroom, so it'll be fine to use it to straighten the top a bit. And honestly it only took her maybe 2 minutes to flat iron through it after she dried it, which took all of 5 minutes! Completely do-able I think. :)

newhaircutshort.jpg
[/IMG]

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for the help everyone! Here it is! I like it....now granted she had to take the flat iron to it, but when you have hair this short, I don't think you have to worry about damage as much. I'll have to go back so often for trims (i.e.- 4 to 6 weeks) that damage isn't as much a concern I'm figuring. And I do still have old faithful the flat iron packed away in my bathroom, so it'll be fine to use it to straighten the top a bit. And honestly it only took her maybe 2 minutes to flat iron through it after she dried it, which took all of 5 minutes! Completely do-able I think. :)

newhaircutshort.jpg
[/IMG]

I think it is lovely! Wow!

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars

newhaircutshort.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks great!!! Very fresh and fun looking!

SheBear74

Practically Family
I had cut mine into a pixie and shortly after (no pun intended lol) hated it! Now, had I looked as cute as you do I would have kept it short!!! You look great! Love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff