Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short stories

Milu

Familiar Face
Everything in the room had stopped until the story ended. For a half minute all was quiet and then the normal buzz of a bar restarted. Colomba brought a plate of grana cheese to the table and sat down.
“My mother told me a story once. An evening very much like this one in the osteria.
A group was sitting around the table telling ghost stories and talking of courage. One of the group was a woman. And you know what that meant in this place, especially 50 years ago.” She said with a wink. The woman had drunk a little more than was good for her and was arguing that the men were all cowards and afraid to walk through the cemetery at night. “If you’re so brave, why don’t you show us? Right now. On your own.” One of the men challenged, “and don’t forget to show us proof.” “I will, and I’ll prove it, I’ll stab my spindle on my mother’s grave. Is that proof enough for you?” So saying she got up, threw back her glass of wine and staggered out much the worse for wear. The men laughed and decided she would do nothing and not come back this evening.
The following day the woman was found dead in the cemetery, she seemed to have died of fright. She was found on her mother’s grave with a spindle pinning her dress to the ground. People living near the cemetery told that she had been screaming that her mother had grabbed her dress and wouldn’t let her go. Until she suddenly went quiet. Everyone was too afraid to go and see until the morning when they found her.”
Colomba got up and asked: “Another round of rum punch?”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran