Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shortening a jacket

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Is it possible to shorten a jacket from lets say a 48L to a 48R?
Will the location of the pockets relative to the jacket length look odd?
I'm guessing the difference must be about an inch or so...

This is not a vintage piece.

thanks,

Robert Conway

Robert, after years of searching, I 've found a great tailor. He's a little old Greek man who tailored in Athens in the 60s, so he knows vintage cuts. He really works miracles sometimes, and I'm reminded of the tailor in The Great Escape who made civilian suits out of uniforms. But the one thing he always clicks his teeth at is when I bring him a long and ask him to make it a regular. 'Can't be done, my friend,' he says. 'The cut will not look right.' He's a failry laconic fellow and I can't get much of an explanation out of him. So is he right? I don't know, but I trust his opinion on that so I no longer buy longs with the intention of having them cut down. This probably doesn't help, does it?

Regards,

Senator Jack

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Sure it helps.
;-)

I see his point. If you shorten the jacket the pockets may end up in the wrong spot, although I would be willing to guess that many off the rack jackets have them in the same location, regarless of lenght...

You wouldn't have any idea how much of a difference there is between a regular and long jacket? An inch? Maybe two?

thanks

Yeah, that inch or two might as well be yard, huh? I personally can't see why it can't be done. It does seem like you should be able to just lop off the bottom and sew it up. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the cut of the break, or rather the resulting cut of the break. I don't believe he tells me it's not possible because it's too much work. I've given him some pretty invloved jobs in the past, and he's always come through.

Regards,

Senator Jack

I know the desperation; I've been to tailors all over the city and no one seems to get it right. Or they don't want to be bothered.

Mr. Tom, as we call him, is here in Astoria, just two blocks from my apartment. I'd say he's well worth the trip. I won't have anyone else alter my clothes now, and when he goes away to Greece for a few months each year, I have to stockpile my finds till he gets back.

I'll get you the name and number of the dry-cleaner he works at. He's not there every day, and when he is, his being an old Greek man mandates that he takes off to the kafenio for a few hours.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy