Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should Hat color match suit?

wvf3

New in Town
Hi Folks,

First post: I was wondering if Hat color should be considered as it relates to suit color. I prefer wearing black suits but have my eye on a charcoal fedora. Any comments/suggestions? Thanks.

Will

warbird

One Too Many
The hat shouldn't clash, but doesn't have to match. Personally I wear a lot of blue suits. I find grey and some brown hats work well. Probably some other colors as well, but I stick to conservative matches as that is the world I live in. I do not like black suits personally. They are not corporate appropriate, semi-formal appropriate maybe. I would think most shades of grey hats would work well with a black suit.

In fact most greys work well with almost any color. I would say that color is the most versatile. It is the one color which I am most lacking. Grey hats work with almost any color. They might not work with some gaudy outlandish colors, but the again those suits look horrid no matter the color of hat.

Feraud

Bartender
wvf3 said:
Hi Folks,

First post: I was wondering if Hat color should be considered as it relates to suit color. I prefer wearing black suits but have my eye on a charcoal fedora. Any comments/suggestions? Thanks.

Will
Those two should match just fine.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Wouldn't black or gray go with just about anything? I'm asking because I really don't know for sure but it seems like they should.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
KY Gentleman said:
Wouldn't black or gray go with just about anything? I'm asking because I really don't know for sure but it seems like they should.

pretty much, yah...like what someone said above, "eye for color matching". its kind of like you're standing in front of a mirror and you just kinda go, "yahhh...that looks good..." thats what happens to me anyway...

NonEntity

Suspended
Welcome wvf3

Black hat with a black suit certainly works--the matching principle--but black on black can project a rather severe image, which is fine if that's what you intend.

I'd suggest going with the contrast principle, which shows imagination and telegraphs a warmer feel:

Gray would be an excellent choice. There are an infinite range of shades, and it's probably the most versatile of all colors.

Silverbelly goes well with black, as well. Light but not white, it's the color of the hat LBJ made famous, the Stetson Open Road.

Of course, it's not just the color of the hat that's important. Make sure the fedora you select not only goes with your head/face shape and frame, but also echoes the general style of clothes you wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic