Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I shorten this brim?

Woodfluter

Practically Family
IMO (who said I'm H?):

- It looks fine as far as width. I wouldn't mess with that at all. Proportions are right with your face. But in the end, all a matter of taste. Make yourself happy regardless!

- If you are compelled to trim, I'd look to some of the 1930s hats with high crowns and narrower brims as models. Have to admit those have style. Think Cagney.

- I have new and old hats with various brim widths and crown heights, and like them all. But have trimmed quite a few of the Akubras, including "western" types. Of my 4 Federation Deluxes, three are now equal-dimension and I like that better - pretty much what you've done already. I think the ~2.5" brim looks best all around with these, but I'm no enemy of dimensional cuts - my taste has just drifted toward the traditional proportions.

Happy trails,
- Bill

Last edited:

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
Hey, thanks for all the replies. Personally I am right on the fence about this so I think I will go with the majority and just leave it alone for now.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, I too like the way it looks now. I HAVE had a Beaver Brand Stony River, Creek, some damn body of water, trimmed to look like a fedora. Yours already looks good. The Fed is inexpensive enough that you would be as well off to get another hat. I've been to hat shops in Wichita (Hatman Jack's), Saint Joseph MO (Stetson Outlet), and Saint Louis (Levine's) and they all have a bunch to try on.

Later

EggHead

Practically Family
In my opinion (yet another one!) the brim looks a little wide. But perhaps it's because you are wearing a shirt with it. Take some pics with a jacket on or coat, it will beef up your body and brim may look fine.

Gumbo Book

Familiar Face
Trim to 2 1/2 all the way around. That's what I would do. But that's just my opinion. It could be that you just want another style of hat. 2 1/2 is the lowest I would go. In any case, you could steam the brim and make it more of a snap brim, this will curl the sides ( be very carefull there are lots of old cowboy tutorials that can give you an idea ) Giving what some would call a LC bash and changing the dimensions to the eye. So therefore you may not have to cut at all.
I too have lots of hats with different brim lengths, all of them look fine.
The hat "does" look good on you.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I'm kind of on the fence as far as trimming that brim is concerned. I'd leave it be, but I can see the attraction of slightly narrower brim in your case.

I never do anything irreversible when I have doubt. In general, I never do anything irreversible - doubts or not.
You've stopped aging then? Please, share the recipe! ;)

eto

New in Town
I would leave, looks good, if anything things gives you an excuse to buy a new one.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Suits you just fine....I'm sure the fellas here would let you know if it didn't :)

I agree that it looks just fine in the photo. I don't agree that those who think it does not look fine will necessarily tell you so.

Go with your gut and be true to yourself -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany