Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoulder baq vs. Ruck

shortbow

Practically Family
Ever have a question that you can't put into words?

I have about half a dozen shoulder bags of various sized and styles and quite a few rucksacks and day packs, etc.

I really like shoulder bags for their convenience and get-at-ability.

Trouble is, they always seem too small or too big.

When they're small enough to be comfortable with a load that properly fits, they're too small to carry enough gear.

When they're big enough to stow everything I want to carry for a day, they're too heavy and uncomfortable.

BUT when I use a day pack, I lose the benefits, panache and accessibility of the shoulder bag. Means stopping and removing the pack, setting it on the ground and rummaging. By that time, the bird is long gone, the photo is missed, whatever; lots of fooling around just to get at some little thing.

Ergo, don't know how to ask the question.

So, any comments?

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Sounds like you need a WW2 US Army Officers Musette bag. Big enough to slide a laptop into or even pack enough stuff for an overnight (I actually did that once, carry on via South West, only packed the one bag) But small enough to easily and comfortably sling on one shoulder.

Matt

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Bagjack make a variety of very versatile messenger and other bags with a patented 3-point strap system that is just awesome. Doesn't look vintage at all, though. I have mine for ten years now, using it every single day. It's simply the most functional bag I ever had, beats every other rucksack or bag I know of. They recently started a more budget line without cutomization options but you can also have them fully customized to your needs and specifications if you have the money.

http://www.bagjack.com/ and their budget line http://www.baicyclonshop.com/ Watch the video in the first link to get an idea what they can do. This is not their standard strap system, though. In the second link go to Features Messenger and scroll down to see how the strap system works. I just realized how much it evolved since I bought mine. Now you can even carry the bag like a rucksack if you want to. Can't do this with mine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo