Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SHOW PETERS BROS customs indy hats

thecoolmiester

New in Town
Hey whats up? About 2 or so weeks ago :) I ordered the peters bros raiders indy custom hat and was interested in seeing some pics of the hat straight from other ppl who own them. So if you have some pic post them here :fedora:

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After weeks turned to months, mine never did arrive. I canceled the order and bought a beautiful vintage Borsolino. Want to see pictures of that instead? Never again with the Peters Bros., I tell ya, never again! :p
-dixon cannon

norton

One of the Regulars
Thats too bad. I ordered my first fedora from peters bros. and they quoted 6 weeks delivery, which would have put it on Dec. 24th. They called the week before Christmas and asked if I wanted it sent fedex to get before Christmas. I said it didn't matter and It arrived January 6.

It's a very nice 50/50 beaver custom and fits perfectly. I may make some changes in proportions on the next order, but I'll order from Peter's Bros. again anytime.

I say this as one who has been waiting 9 months for a Camptown with no delivery still in sight.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Here is my PB Custom. It doesn't resemble what was delivered. My order got messed up alittle and the specs were 'off'. I have done alot of fiddling with this one and am still planning some more tweaking. I cut the dimensional brim down to an even 2 1/2" and may take it down to 3/8 or 1/4 eventually. After trimming, I have steamed and reshaped the brim mutiple times. I put a c-crown in it and got the bashed height down to 5" in the front, down from over 6" (with center dent). I put it on the stretcher also because I couldn't fit this stiff beast on my oval head. Wetting and steaming the hat has stained the liner brown in alot of spots. I really haven't wore it around much if at all. It has been a constant work in progress.
The felt is stiff, stiff, stiff and has stayed that way despite me working it over and over again.
hatz002ox7.jpg

hatz005pu2.jpg

To be honest it will be a yard work hat once I get it looking how I want it to look. My TonyB lid became my go-to dark brown fedora and so this one just sits.[huh]

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
handlebar bart said:
Here is my PB Custom. It doesn't resemble what was delivered. My order got messed up alittle and the specs were 'off'. I have done alot of fiddling with this one and am still planning some more tweaking. I cut the dimensional brim down to an even 2 1/2" and may take it down to 3/8 or 1/4 eventually. After trimming, I have steamed and reshaped the brim mutiple times. I put a c-crown in it and got the bashed height down to 5" in the front, down from over 6" (with center dent). I put it on the stretcher also because I couldn't fit this stiff beast on my oval head. Wetting and steaming the hat has stained the liner brown in alot of spots. I really haven't wore it around much if at all. It has been a constant work in progress.
The felt is stiff, stiff, stiff and has stayed that way despite me working it over and over again.
hatz002ox7.jpg

hatz005pu2.jpg

To be honest it will be a yard work hat once I get it looking how I want it to look. My TonyB lid became my go-to dark brown fedora and so this one just sits.[huh]

Sounds like you aren't happy with that hat, Bart. But have you noticed the plants growing out of the crown? :eek: lol lol

I'm wondering if bart's PB might be a Western-weight body. Just speculatin', you know, but if that indeed is the case, I can certainly see how the hat might remain stiff despite the steaming and wetting and all. The felt used in the Western-weight bodies supplied by the folks many (most?) of us patronize is some sturdy stuff. It's quite markedly thicker than the dress-weight bodies, and one whole heck of a lot stiffer.

It's a nice enough lookin' hat, judging from the photos. Maybe it'll prove itself to be a serviceable rough weather lid.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
Sounds like you aren't happy with that hat, Bart. But have you noticed the plants growing out of the crown? :eek: lol lol

Thats the other thing, wetting the crown to reshape it caused a bouquet to grow out of the top:D
Not that I don't like it, but I bought it when I was new to fedoras and it is a prime example of why it is good to wait on your first 'custom' until you have really nailed down what works for you and get a good understanding of what you are looking for in a lid. And really, thats why this forum is so important, people can get some knowledge so they don't purchase a nice hat, but thats not nice for them.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
I'm wondering if bart's PB might be a Western-weight body. Just speculatin', you know, but if that indeed is the case, I can certainly see how the hat might remain stiff despite the steaming and wetting and all. The felt used in the Western-weight bodies supplied by the folks many (most?) of us patronize is some sturdy stuff. It's quite markedly thicker than the dress-weight bodies, and one whole heck of a lot stiffer.

It's a nice enough lookin' hat, judging from the photos. Maybe it'll prove itself to be a serviceable rough weather lid.

Yep Tony, its their 'stiff bullet proof rabbit'. And the rabbit musta died of old age. It seems to be western weight with ALOT of stiffener. Not a bad hat, but if I had known more about what I liked and didn't I wouldn't have bought it. If it wasn't for so many great hatters here though I imagine I would buy from them again. But I would be a smarter customer.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Colby Jack said:
Bart...was yours the 'bulletproof" felt or the softer one they offer?

Its the bullet proof. And do not underestimate that choice of wording.lol It is bullet proof. And after rereading my posts here, I want to make sure that I don't come off as bashing Peter Brothers. The hat is as advertised, the specs were 'off', but I chose to keep it. They are nice people to talk to, I just bought the wrong style for me. And thats my fault.

thecoolmiester

New in Town
If you choose PB again be really, really specific. Like me. i specifically told them everything down to the ribbon color, and of corse requested soft rabbit blend.

carter

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
The definiton of 'stiff':D
pb002tz8.jpg
I'm in the midst of converting a Stetson Muleskinner into a fedora. As Bart's photo attests, you can steam the dickens out of the heavy felt and reshape the brim but, once it drys, there is no felt flop. Whatever shape you have is there to stay.

As Kabuto has written, a heavy western-weight felt makes a very good "work" hat. It can also be pretty stylish if you take the time to work it over.

I'll post some pictures when I'm done with this one.

Sorry this is a tad :eek:fftopic:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails