Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here's a mixed bag of clothing adverts:

1926 summer sportswear price list:
sportswearsummer1926.jpg

Brocklehurst silk ties, 1938:
1938brocklehursttropicaltie.jpg

1938:
1938-agentsforDax.jpg

Burberry overcoat 1937:
1937Burberry.jpg

1937:
1937-SportsClothes.jpg

detail of the same advert
1937-SportsClothesdetail.jpg

remind you of anything?
manifesto-man.jpg

That is the logo from The Chap magazine.

1937 Laundry advert:
1937-DaybrookLaundry.jpg

1931 summer sale prices:
1931-July-summersale-1.jpg

1927:
1927-Springsuitsformen.jpg

Last edited:

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
Thank you Two Types. I am not sure, I do not have a lot of details on the company. I am sure I have seen a wartime advert somewhere.

I was hoping to see some prices. The suit I have, is from Alkit Cambridge Circus. It is a light cream cotton.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Two Types. I am not sure, I do not have a lot of details on the company. I am sure I have seen a wartime advert somewhere.

I was hoping to see some prices. The suit I have, is from Alkit Cambridge Circus. It is a light cream cotton.

I will check for any prices. The adverts i looked at were the ones with illustrations. I suspect that the brand name is rather unusual, thus meaning that the search function struggles to find anything (since it is searching through scanned newsprint using some modern computer jiggery-pokery)

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
I have just found out Alkit was owned by John Moss's (Drummer from Cuture cub) adoptive father. I think pre war, it may have been primarily an officers outfitters?

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
Here is an early British suit by Hill Brothers London. I would say Mid 1920s.

001.jpg

005-2.jpg

It has fairly narrow trousers. It was made for a Brigadier General Seagram. He was a decorated officer from WW1.

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
This suit I is a charcoal grey/almost black three piece Edwardian suit. It is good quality etc. However, the name in it always intrigued me. It was made for a Brigadier General T.O.Seagram. I could not find out a lot until I looked at the WW1 London Gazette. In their, I have found he was Mentioned in dispatches in 1915 when he was a Major, Awarded the DSO on the 29th of December 1916, Got the CMG in 1919, and left the Army in 1920 with the honorary rank of Brig Gen, which he had done as an acting role on the Western front in 1918.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Nice pic. i can place the shop from the background. The church in the background must be the one that became that awful 1980s nightclub The Limelight. So the shop must have been on Cambridge Circus on the corner where the east side of Charing Cross Road meets Shaftesbury Avenue.

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
Sorry,

Not great pictures, but this is the Alkit suit. It is a washable cotton I replaced the buttons, it originally had the removable revolving shank ones, I suspect so it could be laundered.

Longgallery3.jpg

Magiccup.jpg

Kindest regards

Ben

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
A summer weight suit. The cut of the trousers are very baggy. There is no makers mark or label, the suit is about the quality of a Hepworths suit etc.

DSCF0374.jpg

DSCF0375.jpg

DSCF0376.jpg

A bit small, but gives you an idea

PicnicinthePark1.jpg

Kindest Regards

Ben

Nice pic. i can place the shop from the background. The church in the background must be the one that became that awful 1980s nightclub The Limelight. So the shop must have been on Cambridge Circus on the corner where the east side of Charing Cross Road meets Shaftesbury Avenue.

Yes indeed, and was until recently a branch of the risible Walkabout chain. The Alkit store pictured is now, of all things, a Pizza Hut. There is a decent pub a few doors down though (Is it the Cambridge Arms?), which is how I know the scene.

That would be Charing Cross Road, heading south to the left. bet there were still some bookshops then … Does anyone remember if that clock is still there?

image.php

bk

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
Just looking through some of my archives. Here was a suit I sold recently. It was made in 1937 for the Viscount Knollys. It is a rather loud check with plus fours. It was too big for me unfortunately.

viscount.jpg

viscount1.jpg

Ben Stephens

One of the Regulars
Here is a lovely 1946 Savile Row suit. It is made from such a light material, most people think it is a modern replica. It is silk lined through out as well.

1947.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland