Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Can one of the English loungers explain Burton Clothes to me? Are (were) they sort of an English J Press or Brooks Brothers?

I know that today, they are a still a clothes retailer, but that they focus on casual wear.

Burton is a general outfitter. Its founding principle was that, by controlling all the facets of production - from weaving the cloth to tailoring the clothes to sales - they could supply high quality garments at affordable prices. They had a strict principle that a suit of clothes should cost a week's wages for the average man. This was much, much cheaper than the standard "credit tailors" of the day, and represented a real advance in the ordinary working man being able to clothe and shod himself well. They had stores all over London and "the Provinces". One of their marketing strategies was "There's a Montague Burton store within a bus ride of your home". They also offered a bespoke service, and MTM, for the better heeled.

I would say that they were way below the standard of brooks Brothers. They were positioned below the likes of Austin Reed, Horne Brothers, and other large retailers but above the likes of Hepworths, Willerby, etc.

These days, I'm sure they don't make the cloth themselves, and their stuff is quite crappy, but it's still relatively cheap. I'll bet you can get a functional suit for about a weeks wages.

p.s. Your PM box is full. If you're interested in having any Burton's catalogues, just get in touch.

bk

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Can one of the English loungers explain Burton Clothes to me?

On one of the earlier pages on this thread I posted links to the 'Moving Here' archive. The links take you to examples of 1930s Burtons catalogues that include quite a lot of text about the company. Definitely worth a read.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
$T2eC16Z,!wsE9suwyQVdBQV8LPeK8Q~~60_57.JPG

Buy it now = $295 !!!!!!! Blimey.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
BK (and anyone else): You don't happen to own any original Festival of Britain ties, do you? They were such fantastic designs i'd love to find one.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
A few British suit adverts from the 1930s:

Easter 1938:
New-1938Holidaywear.jpg

Suits by Alexandre, 1938:
New-AlexandresuitsApril1936.jpg

OK, these aren't suits, but the adverts are british and they go with the theme:

Style for summer 1938:
New-1938summer.jpg

And 'Yankee Shirts' for summer 1938:
NewSummer1938.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Nice find FFF, here's one I got a few weeks ago in a local charity shop; it's completely unmarked/ unworn save a very small bit of stitching coming undone on inside pocket, it cost £15 but fits like a dream, I've had the sleeves taken up a fraction and just need to get the waist taken in a bit, wore it a few weeks ago just adfter I got it whilst standing at a vintage/retro collectors event;
2nq9oc1.jpg

2hhgb5c.jpg
9gafjr.jpg

11hszs2.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
the trousers are high waisted with brace buttons and zipper fly, single rear pocket with button/loop fastener, here's a few detail shots;
slnspi.jpg
16ln56q.jpg

25swmd2.jpg
5l7uqw.jpg

Correct colour is shown in above photo of waist closure clasp
does anyone know the tweed as I'd like to get some to get a waistcoat made up!
ff709v.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I would think getting an exact match for the tweed might be tough. Why not try it with a nice cream or dark green waistcoat?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Doing winter purging to make up for other purchases...

I'll probably be posting this classic 1960s/70s Hector Powe in the classifieds this weekend. I know its later than the Lounge's normal tastes but its a classic British three piece in the "Tinker, Tailor, Spy" and/or Michael Caine 1970s flick style. Lovely material as well.

368934893.jpg

379902871.jpg

368934894.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here is a suit i bought recently in Levisons (Cheshire Street, London).

shirt--jacket.jpg

As someone with a 46/47 inch chest and 40 inch waist, true vintage clothing is rather rare to find. So I was pleased to find this suit which I guess dates from the late 1940s or early 1950s.

jay-suit.jpg

jacket.jpg

I find it hard to accurately date pieces from that period, but the trousers are very high waisted, making think it can't have been made much later than early fifties since (in my understanding) the waists began to creep lower after that period. The trousers may not actually look particularly high waisted but I have a long body and short legs, so it can be deceptive.
Interestingly, the trousers are made with belt hoops and had no sign of ever previously having braces buttons.
trousers.jpg

It is by Jay Tailors:
Jay-Tailors-Label.jpg

The suit isn't in great condition and may not last for too long (especially since i can be very hard wearing on clothes). But, when it collapses, it will be ideal to use to make a copy.

I know that lots of people here on the FL like their suits to be flash, but I rather like the everyday simplicity of suits like this.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap
A "plain" grey DB is probably unmatched in versatility and was considered a staple item of any respectable wardrobe.
At least that's what the German menswear "authority" of the 30-60's Freiherr von Eelking said. ;)
I agree with him fully on this... and am looking since years for a comparable grey suit in my size (38/40) ^^.

I like everything about this suit... and it looks solidly late 30 to 40's to me (stylistically), thanks to the buttons not being set below the pockets, the sharply peaked lapels and rather small chest pocket. Of course a 50's dating wouldn't be out of question.
Since it has no CC41-labels I assume it must be before 1942 or indeed early to mid 1950's, no? (Or the label was removed... but why would one do that... [huh])

How wide are the legs?

BTW the buttons on your left side seem to be placed closer to the pocket than the other side (could be mistaken about that)... easy to fix anyway.

Best Regards

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy