Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your British suits

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
notice how the higher Gorge on Mario's jacket (R) plus the lapels being narrower gives a much longer lapel appearance.
the button placement on both jackets is about the same, but because the peaked lapel jacket (L) has wide lapels and a lower gorge, the lapels appear much shorter.
it should be mentioned that the top button on R isn't fastened which increases the lapel length appearance even further, but not by too much.

comp.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
1950s British three piece. The label was cut away so I am at a loss to know who made this one...

No alteration necessary, fits me as it which is somewhat rare...

401129398.jpg

401129402.jpg

Nice gray and blue herringbone pattern.
401129406.jpg

401129407.jpg

The only marks I've found are these old stamps inside the waistcoat:
401129393.jpg

401129411.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
herringbonekid, I really like the comparsion images. I learn a lot. Thank you for making the afford. What does this say about the estimate age of Marios (almost) suit?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
herringbonekid, I really like the comparsion images. I learn a lot. Thank you for making the afford.

:arated: I can only agree with Flo (and what a clever way to use Photoshop!). :)

What does this say about the estimate age of Marios (almost) suit?

The age of the suit was no estimate, it's actually written on the label: 5/49.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the gorge height on these two jackets is virtually identical. the American one on the right is maybe half an inch higher, but because it's a two button and consequently has a lower top button the lapel is much longer.
for me, the jacket on the right with the longer lapel is just about as near a perfect proportion for a two button peaked as you can get, while the English lapels look truncated. this is really personal taste... there's no right or wrong in these matters. that shape of English peaked lapel is very common. they were nearly always three button and didn't roll down to two.

compA.jpg
compB.jpg

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
the gorge height on these two jackets is virtually identical. the American one on the right is maybe half an inch higher, but because it's a two button and consequently has a lower top button the lapel is much longer.
for me, the jacket on the right with the longer lapel is just about as near a perfect proportion for a two button peaked as you can get, while the English lapels look truncated. this is really personal taste... there's no right or wrong in these matters. that shape of English peaked lapel is very common. they were nearly always three button and didn't roll down to two.

I agree. I've got a suit made by Burton in the 40s which has a jacket almost identical to that brown one. I've never really been satisfied with it. The proportions of the two-button jacket make it much more elegant.

Flat Foot Floey

The age of the suit was no estimate, it's actually written on the label: 5/49.
Aaah yes. But it was called unusual...for the age and for a british suit.

So it just looks more like a suit from the late 50s, right?

I think Sproily has suit jackets with a gorge and buttoning similar to that brown pinstripe suit. I think they are earlier though. I must say I quite like it that way.

Phong Van Lee

New in Town
Gentlemen, here is a ‘mystery’ Shetland wool suit: no tailor labels of any kind, though the plus-fours’ buckles have a British maker’s name and the waistcoat’s back buckle says “British”.

This suit is absolutely wonderful!!!!!!

I just found that one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-K..._Tailoring&hash=item3f140843d8#ht_1936wt_1163

This is nothing for the fancy contryside picknick, but I think it could be used unscrupulously on my oil spitting 1927 AJS......

It should about fit me and the price is not extraordinarely high, but what do you all think, is it a sin to wear down a vintage piece????

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Nice one. And there are those upside-down scalloped rear pocket flaps again.

It may have a few stains and repairs but I certainly wouldn't want to see it abused as wearable oil rag... :eeek:

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

This is nothing for the fancy contryside picknick, but I think it could be used unscrupulously on my oil spitting 1927 AJS......

It should about fit me and the price is not extraordinarely high, but what do you all think, is it a sin to wear down a vintage piece????
I consider 750 gbp a lot of money and wouldn't like to see this beautifil suit wear out or getting stained by oil. :eeek:
It is also a german suit But who am I to tell you what to do with the stuff you buy. It is your decision.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
... IMHO, perhaps socks of a similar colour?

Funny you should say that. The original plan was to wear a pair of1920s knicker socks (see below), but I couldn't get them in time for last Saturday's event:

l_931b83b765aa4339bed63984c20ee317.jpg

Plan "B" was to get hold of a pair of lovat blue kilt socks that would match my lovat blue wool necktie. Unfortunately, L.A.'s one and only kilt store was out of lovat blue socks:

lovat-blue-hose_large_1.jpg

Plan "C" was to find a pair of beige long socks with flecks of lovat blue and orange (among other colors). Luckily, American Apparel had 'em. Apparently, they were good enough for the Prince of Wales too:

serveasp.jpg
KMprinceofwales.jpg

Last edited:

The Elizans

Familiar Face
CC41 WWII suits

Hello,

Some great British suits on here!

This is a CC41 Hepworths suit that I wear quite often for gigs and work. Style on rations! Fantastic, hard wearing fabric, even the moths won't eat it!

DSCN2885.jpg

DSCN2875.jpg

I have five of these 1940s suits in total. I love the blue pinstripe fabric. I've included a swatch showing a comparison between several subtly different pinstripe designs.

DSCN2908.jpg

Here's a nice drawing from Montague Burtons 1938 catalogue:

File0002_edited.jpg

I have the whole catalugue, I will upload it all at some point!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Some great pinstripes there. It interesting all the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) pinstripe variations there used to be compared to what we commonly see today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo