Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Vanessa

One Too Many
Show us your hair. . .

We have all these threads going about how to do this or that with your hair. . .but no final product for people to admire.
So. Show us your best vintage hairstyle re-creations and tell us how you did it.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Alright. . .somebody's got to have a halfway decent picture of their hair. If I can post my mug here, you can too. :rolleyes:

Here's how mine started:

pincurls.jpg

Pincurls set the night before and allowed to dry completely, no setting lotion.

During the day:
c4939a0d.jpg

I took out the front side curls and fluffed them out & hair sprayed it to death. . .then rolled them up, leaving the back pincurls up and tucked underneath the hat.

That night:
IMG_3983.jpg

Took the rest of pin curls down, more hairspray, more teasing. . .then combed the hair up smoothly to the crown and pushed combs in to hold it. Then artfully arrange curls on top and pinned & sprayed some more. (Addi did all the artful arranging - she did a great job! Ask her to do your hair, too. ;) )

decodoll

Practically Family
sorry...no wonderful hair pictures, just a question. How did you manage the pincurls in your long hair! I always thought your hair had to be on the medium to shorter side to do them. When I try them, I make a complete mess no matter what length my hair is at the time!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Grab the hair right near the scalp and curl around finger from root to tip. The biggest mistake I made when I first started doing pin curls was to try and do them like a hot roller & roll them from the end towards the scalp.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, it looks great. I've tried it from the scalp and wrapping it around my finger...very hard to do. But I have layered hair and that might be why. Vanessa, is your hair layered? Have you had to practice a lot to do the pin curls so well?

Vanessa

One Too Many
ITG: My hair is all one length, about 6-8 inches past my shoulders. I don't really practice per se, I just do my hair up in curls a lot so I've had to get good at it. [huh] The more you do it, the neater it gets over time. I don't even need a mirror most times now.

Now - who else has a picture to post, hmm?

Naama

Practically Family
That night:
IMG_3983.jpg

I know, it doesn't really has to do much with hair, but well in some way it does. Do you wear fake lashes on that photograph or do you have a great mascara or just great lashes? By the way, your hair looks great on this too! And your haircolour is great!

Naama

Vanessa

One Too Many
ITG: It all depends on how much time I have & how long I need the curl. For the best set & the most long-lasting curl, I use foam rollers with just-got-out-of-the-shower hair. It sometimes may take up to a day or more to dry, but I can get a good 3-4 days of pre-frizz curl. (And sometimes I look like Shirley Temple the first day :rolleyes: ) I'm going to invest in a cap hair dryer to speed the process up. Pin curled hair usually only works for a day or so.

Naama: Those are most definitely fake eyelashes and thanks.

But gosh, :eek: enough about me. . .I want to see your hair pictures.

maisie

Practically Family
I can't do pin curls, no matter how hard I try! This may be because my hair is thick, or layered, or it may just be because it looks way to complecated!!!!:rolleyes: :)
So instead I use rollers, the ones you sleep in, and considering how thick my hair is, the curl can last up to 2-3 days. (Longer if I didn't spay SO much hairspray in it!!) I will see if I can post up a picture of me at a 1940's dance I went to earlier this year if anyone would like?

Kaela

Vendor
index.cfm

This one is just lazy done with a curling iron! but it's the best this style has ever turned out!
well, let's see if this image shows up!

Kaela

Vendor
alright, I guess I'll just make you all click links!
index.cfm

Ok, so that's of my hair set in pin curls, with a little spritz of setting lotion.

index.cfm

The picture of my avatar is just from luck. My hair is naturally curly, so I crimp it while it's drying and put in a little setting lotion, and when I brush it out, as if magically, the waves all line up, and my hair looks just like the long haired movie stars of the 40s... like think, Veronica Lake. It's not easy to tell in that picture because it's blurry...
there's this, too.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=36201167&imageID=353155320

that's all for now!
Enjoy!

Vanessa

One Too Many
Hi there Kaela! If you want to go back & edit your posts. . .here's how to post pictures:

-right click on picture, select properties.
-highlight & copy image 'location'
-click on the 5th button from the right in the "post a reply" toolbar - it's the little mountain/sun square
-paste image location & voila!
-Instant Pictures.

:)

Kaela

Vendor
Ok, just one more!

Just one more view of the curling iron one.
th_P1010019.jpg

th_P1010021Small.jpg

I just part a small side section at a diagonal angle away from my face, and comb it up and out straight. Then I put bobby pins on either side of the section of hair, spray it on either side and roll it with the curling iron, tapering it so that the back part of the roll vanishes into the back of my head. I let the curl cool while I clip it temporarily up, then do the otherside. When I go back to the cool curl, I brush it out if necessary, or I"ll just wind it tighter around my finger and shape it better, then I put a bobby pin across the two pins on either side and if it's windy or I'll be runnin' around, I put a couple more on the inside of the roll!
And there you have it!
P1010034Small.jpg

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Kaela's

Kaela's h-do ---It looks great! And thanks for the detailed description of how you did it. I will have to try that technique this weekend!

maisie

Practically Family
A picture of my hair just before going to a 40's dance this summer (considering I had to camp that weekend I think it turned out alright!!:) ;) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21