Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Pedigree! The Heritage Thread.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
My father's side is Prussian/German, from 2 brothers who came to Liverpool around the 1880's to emigrate to America, and never made it any further! They had something to do with carnivals, one married a Gypsy and they ran a carnival by the Liverpool docks (alas, I imagine it's of the fleecing-out-of-a-weeks-wages kind rather than the bearded-lady-type). Don't know much about my mum's side but as they are Kenny's from Liverpool it's likely to be Irish.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
My mother's father is a 5th generation Londoner. He married a Swiss woman who was the first person anyone heard of in her family to marry someone from more than 7 miles away. On my father's side you have to go back to the 1880s before you find someone who wasn't born in Australia, and then you find English and Scottish.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Your Heritage?

I will commence this thread of displaying your ancestral roots:

My blood consists of 3/4 English (very proudly I might add), and 1/4 Austrian. As Germanic peoples are very similar to English peoples, both sides of my family are not that different.
According to Ancestry.com in the 14th century my Grandfather's ancestors were in fact English nobility.

england_flag_02.gif
+
au-lgflag.gif
= Me.

Your turn!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Italian - but my maternal grandmother was German, so some of that snuck in there.

I don't know anything about my family past my great-grandparents (and not even much about them) so as far as I know we were nobody special lol

rue

Well let's see.... I did my family tree and I found out that.....

On my mother's side, I am German (most came from Alsace before France took it from Germany), Norwegian and English.

On my father's side, I am English (17th cousin to Queen Elizabeth II), French and Irish.

Basically a mutt ;)

rue

^ :)

Oops.... almost forgot.... my paternal grandmother was related to the Winchesters. Not the crazy lady that built the house (at least not by blood) but her husband was my grandmother's cousin.

Last edited:

harty

New in Town
I am adopted, and just recently (within the last couple of years) discovered my heritage. My mom's side is nearly completely French. Which probably explains my love of cooking with butter. Real butter. No margarine.

Also my penchant for writing/philosophy, which it turns out I share with my 2 full brothers and 2 1/2 siblings.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Mostly dutch with a little delaware indian thrown in for fun. My mother has been working on our family tree for years. Not only am I a direct descendant of Jan Janszoon, the notorious dutch pirate and scourge of the spanish fleets along the moroccan coastline ... his son was the first muslim in the new world, had the first koran here (still in the family until the 1950s), the son was banished to his own island as he was too violent for the colony (Coney Island), also related to the first female murderess in New Jersey, a line of prostitutes, a priest killer and church thief who was chased across england/ireland until he hopped a boat here around the turn of the century, and the same property in New Jersey had been in the family for 300 yrs (until 1980 or so).

So really ... if I seem cranky and eccentric, its not my fault. Its the bloodline. :D

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
My paternal grandfather is from a small village in Southern China, outside Kaiping (alternatively called and pronounced Hoi Ping). In fact, the vast majority of Chinese immigrants to North America came from this region.

My maternal grandparents were California born "Nissei" children of Japanese Immigrants. I am less clear on the regional origin of my maternal relatives in Japan.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Traced my family back to a Scottish preacher, that toured the US in the early 1800's.
Cherokee Indian came in, as one of his sons married an indian girl adopted from another family (from Ireland as well).
That's as far as I can go with my Great(x2) Grandmother. As for her mother, nobody knows due to poor record keeping.
I'm still researching the preacher's side.

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
Russian, English, Irish and Dutch. My mother was born in Russia, near Rostov-on-Don. But her family left during WW2, eventually wound up first in Austria, then Brazil during the late 40's. Eventually came to the US in the early 1960's. My dad was the mix of all 4, because he had a Russian grandmother. I was able to do a search of his relatives, they came from the listed countries. So I am a little over half ethnic Russian, but can only say Da, Nyet, and Vodka!!

Our kids are more mutt like than me since mom is French-Irish (what do you expect being a Mainah) So they have some French in them along with my mix.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
On my father's side, all are German immigrants that came to the US from about 1830-1850. They raised sheep for 5 generations in the US, including my parents. One side of my father's family hailed from Alsace-Lorraine, the other part of the family from around Wittenberg.

On my mother's side, all are Polish immigrants that came to the US right before WWI. I don't know from where.

Historically, most of the family were farmers, up until me. My mother's parents left the farm, but my mother returned to farming as an adult as her profession.

Interesting fact: Both of my parents had uncles on their mothers' sides who were gored by bulls when they were young.

Last edited:

superstarmegami05

New in Town
I'm quite a mix of various things from what I've found while doing genealogy research.

On my mother's side, there's mainly Welsh, English and Irish. My dad's side of the family tree hasn't yielded many results but what I have found is that there's a mix of German and Norwegian on that side. Although ancestry.com hasn't helped me much on this side, I do know that there's Finnish roots somewhere in there as well. I noticed that some people mentioned that they have ancestors that have been here since before the US became the US. I also fit into this category.

Supposedly there's a bit of Native American somewhere on my mom's side as well but I have yet to find proof of this.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Typical local Hawaiian "chop suey": English, Irish, Puerto Rican, and Filipino. Probably a little Chinese and Indian in there too...

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
When I started to research my family history I was hoping to find a rich diverse heritage & hopefully a convict or colourful character or two......
Nope, I'm a 4th generation Australian, both sides of the family were free settlers & prior to living in Aus, both parents families are of English heritage. Actually that's not entirely true, before my GG Grandfather settled in Aus he lived in New Zealand & married a Maori woman, so I'm also of Maori heritage (I find this really interesting & would love to find out more about my GG Grandmother).

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
My mother is Italian, my father is Greek. I want to know where I got my fair skin and blue eyes, but a geneology search revealed nothing. I'd blame the milkman if I didn't look just like Dad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24