Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

1950s floor lamp for fifteen bucks! :D :D Six feet tall. Either teak or walnut. Very well made, and no damage to the cylindrical shade.

DSCN0854.jpg

I've been on the prowl for one of these kinda lamps ever since I first saw Gene's post, a year and some months ago. I found one, this past Thursday ...

GEDC0445.jpg

Thanks, fellas. I didn't get such a screamin' deal as Gene got on his (15 bucks, fer cryin' out loud), and I doubt it's of the same quality (neither teak nor walnut, as best I can tell), but it's the real McCoy and it has great style and who knows when another at all like it will pop up again, at any reasonable price.

Last edited:
You are apparently well-versed on such matters, 'Bang, but for the benefit of us considerably less so, could you let us in on how you know it dates from 1943? Is it a military-issue item, maybe?

What sort of work does it need? And is that likely to run into significant amounts?

PoohBang

Suspended
You are apparently well-versed on such matters, 'Bang, but for the benefit of us considerably less so, could you let us in on how you know it dates from 1943? Is it a military-issue item, maybe?

What sort of work does it need? And is that likely to run into significant amounts?
lol not that well versed... just read the back...
DSC00546.JPG

a good cleaning will run close to 100 and I have no idea what the hands will cost or a new dial. Probably $50.00 but that might be low..

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I bought this waistcoat today:

IMG_0324.jpg

Yes.

I bought ANOTHER waistcoat. This one is kinda terra-cotta tan-brown. A bit of a story behind this one.

In London in January, I got a chance to buy a tan waistcoat. But I couldn't find one that fit, being a short, tiny Asian guy. Then yesterday, I went to the local thrift-shop and found a tan waistcoat which looked pretty cool. Only it was HEEEWWWGGG!! Far too big for my tiny frame. So I passed.

Today, the Fates of Fashion hath smiled upon me. I went to the same shop and found TWO IDENTICAL waistcoats. Twins. Gemini. Same size, colour, manufacturer. A pair. And they were perfect for me. I took my time and picked the better one and left the not-so-good one for the shop. In reality they were both in perfectly excellent condition, I don't think they'd EVER been worn (or if they were, then worn only ONCE). The not-so-good one had a label that was rather faded and worn. The one I bought looked brand new. Absolutely NO imperfections at all.

PRICE: $7.

nightshade13

New in Town
I just started getting into thrifting and yard sales, but I've picked up a few things I liked so far:

First up is a hand-colored watercolor print by Martin Barry of the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Anne Pfeiffer Chapel at Florida Southern University. I have always been a fan of FLW's architecture and as Florida Southern is just about an hour east of me in Lakeland, this made me very happy.

000_0429.jpg

Next, we have a leather-wrapped stainless German-made flask (though I suspect it is not particularly vintage), a crystal "Merry-Go-Round" shot dispenser, and an etched glass decanter from a local yard sale. The box is neither vintage nor from a yard sale, but made a handy platform for the photo:

000_0435.jpg

I also picked up a neat little Rivo lighter marked "Swiss Made" and "Michael Z. Berger". The lighter has a tiny automatic watch face built in marked "Nelson Antimagnetic Swiss Made". The case is in nice shape with very few scratches, and it lights perfectly.

000_0440.jpg

Next up, a pretty emerald green glass decanter with gold accents and six matching shot glasses. Very pretty and picked up from Goodwill.

000_0436.jpg

Finally, two very nice pieces that I was given as a gift by a neighbor and very close friend of the family (who picked them up himself from a garage sale). And very stubborn - he insisted that I take them and would not even let me pay him anything for them. He and his wife have been going to garage sales every weekend for years and gave me some pretty good tips. This is a Shick Injector razor with bakelite handle (apparently you can still find the blades for them new in stores, so I may be trying it out after a good disinfecting) and a pair of Shuron Ful-Vue 12K gold filled bifocal spectacles. Very neat pieces (to my mind anyway):

000_0433.jpg

I also picked up several nice pieces of men's clothes. Not vintage but nice nonetheless - Armani, Burberry, YSL, and Dior sport coats; a Zegna and a Martin Greenfield suit jacket that I can wear as a sport coat with some jeans, and about 15 Armani, Hugo Boss, and Dior shirts all in my size and apparently all from the same donation. And finally a pair of cordovan Bostonian Crown Windsor wingtips in near-perfect condition. I am enjoying this new hobby. It combines my love for a good treasure hunt with my (slight) addiction to clothes and shoes. And I am fascinated by some of the finds in this thread. I keep hoping to come up with some of these diamonds in the rough that many of the previous posters have discovered. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through your finds.

nightshade13

New in Town
Nightshade, what IS that box in the photos? What is it used for and what is it's history?

The box is just a little jewelry/trinket box that was given to me by a friend several years ago as a token of appreciation. I use it to hold some coins that I want to hold onto and random rings, cufflinks, spare buttons, and other assorted items.

PoohBang

Suspended
Nice unit, I'd get it serviced and leave the case and dial comsetics as they are.

I was going to, until we discovered the face is so bad that bits are falling off and would wind up into the new serviced works and then I'd have to start over. I'm not planning on messing with the case at all. But the rusted hands and crumbling dial will need to be replaced. I'm working on finding some NOS parts for it. Should have it all done hopefully next month.

Mark D

One of the Regulars
Giddy?

Surely if you just bought a wood-fired stove, that would mean you're stoked?

LOL. Yep. Stoked is a good word. The thing is actually designed to burn coal but I can burn wood in it. The firebox is cylindrical (a bit narrower than I would like) with a round bottom so I'm just going to have to cut a cord or two a little bit shorter than I normally would so the logs don't hang up in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183