Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

DNO

One Too Many
Now that is a beauty!

Thanks...it never fails to amaze me what one can find in thrift stores. My wife and I hit 5 rummage sales today. Little odds and ends (tie tacks, some jewelry, some books) but nothing as interesting as that tea pot or the flatware canteen. Loads of fun looking, though.

Any idea if pewter of this period is safe to use? Wouldn't mind brewing up in this one.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
IMG_0623.jpg

Black, clip-on suspenders in almost new condition. Everything is mechanically sound. The brass is a bit scratched and scuffed, but everything is working, nothing is broken and they cost me $5.

I'd like it better if they were button-ons, but beggars can't be chosers.

Last edited:

BigFitz

Practically Family
Polaroid Land Camera

I haven't done much thrift shopping but today I found this old Polaroid. I don't know anything about them but it seems to function properly. A little rust on the inside but seems in good shape otherwise. I figured I couldn't go wrong for $5.99. Anyone able to tell me about how old it might be? Apologies for the camera phone quality pic. I'll try to post some better pics in a couple of days.

polaroidlandcamera.jpg

DNO

One Too Many
Nice looking camera, BigFitz. I'm not a camera guy, so I can't be of any help but I love the looks of that one.

I found this little leather pouch containing two kinda flimsy coat hangers at a rummage sale on the weekend. I'd guess from the '50's.

clotheshook.png

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Any idea if pewter of this period is safe to use? Wouldn't mind brewing up in this one.

I really couldn't say - I have a lot of chrome pieces that I would be reluctant to use simply because I don't know if they would be ok - anyway I prefer to just look at them and admire them (and keep them in as good condition as they are now!)....

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Chrome should be fine, as for pewter my understanding is as long as the lkiquid does not spend a long time in contact with the metal's surface (which contains lead I believe) then again you should be fine..after all I guess you're not going to use it everyday...as to whether pewter 'taints' the taste of tea I know not!

DNO

One Too Many
Thanks for your answers about pewter. I doubt I'll actually use the pewter tea pot, although after so many years of painting using cadmium and cobalt based colours, I doubt a little lead would do much...heck, it might help!

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Heck DNO I am in the same boat, I used to spray with all sorts of nasty stuff and also when I first started work as an engineering apprentice I used to get the dirty jobs like removing worn out asbestos rope seals etc!...hopefully as I finished working in that trade over 10 years ago I may be ok and other than my left ear which no longer works well due to smacking steel plate with big hammers on a regular basis!

DNO

One Too Many
I suspect we're not alone, esteban. I haven't touched a tube of paint for a few years now...maybe I've stopped glowing in the dark. They finally suggested that cadmium and cobalt based colours may not be healthy...just like lead white! But they're beautiful yellows and blues! And asbestos...same thing, despite the protestations of my own Prime Minister...an economist (need one say more).

Picked this up today at Goodwill.

watchradio2.jpg

watchradio.jpg

It's a pretty neat transistor radio. I'm guessing 60's, by the styling and the Civil Defense band markings on the dial. Now, I just need a battery to see if it works lol

DNO

One Too Many
Found a Carlton Ware vase, about 8" high. Dating between 1906 and 1927 according to the mark. No chips, cracks, etc...lovely. It still amazes me that things like this keep popping up...and I love the moth motive, rather than the more common butterflies.

carltonware2.png

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
DNO - that's a beautiful vase - a gorgeous colour!

I got these two mirrors in Oxfam yesterday - they have opened a new branch that deals with vintage furniture - can't wait to go back again and see what they have:

I figure this one is from the 40's or maybe later:

Image0471.jpg

This one I am not sure - it looks quite old:

Image0468.jpg

Image0469.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff