Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I love drinking hot chocolate. It's my favourite hot beverage. But I have nothing which I can really put it in.

Today, that changed.

I was at the local thrift-shop, where I found a beautiful white ceramic chocolate-pot for $3!! It needs a bit of a clean, but is otherwise undamaged in any way at all. It's identical to this one:

503ba537af454_162508n.jpg

I think at one time, it may have had a lid of some description. But that's neither here nor there. I have a tea-warmer which I can sit it on to keep it hot in the interim periods.

And another even luckier find. A set of forties vintage Clarice Cliff dinnerware. I just happened to be looking around when it was wheeled out of the backroom.

clifftrio_zps571d4371.png

Cliffmark_zpsc08ce753.png

And the set itself:

cliffset_zpsae01f37d.png

Love those thrift stores.

Most excellent find, sir.

I fear what might happen if you and I were to go thrifting together. Coin toss? Rock, paper, scissors? Pistols at 20 paces?

DNO

One Too Many
Most excellent find, sir.

I fear what might happen if you and I were to go thrifting together. Coin toss? Rock, paper, scissors? Pistols at 20 paces?

I'm sure we could work something out! It would be nice to go thrifting with someone with similar interests! Probably irritating at times, but interesting.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Today, I bought a beautiful, classic green glass banker's lamp for $38, identical to this one:

Bankers_Lamp_Desk_Light_Reproduction_Furniture.jpg

Always wanted one 'cause I thought they looked cool.

I also bought three nifty little collar-bars at the flea-market! I've been after these suckers for months, and I FINALLY got some! And for an excellent price, too.

The photo further up, is of what my new lamp looks like. Here's a photo of the *actual* lamp which I bought, complete with a fresh bulb, on my desk:

IMG_0480_zpseefdad07.jpg

The same shot in sepia-tone, for that old-timey look:

IMG_0482_zps7dcaa4cd.jpg

And here's a better photo...

IMG_0483_zpsc7678092.jpg

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Bumped into MikeBravo while he was out on the town today.

*tips hat*

I bought myself a cute little Singer sewing-machine, which I'm currently restoring. Before-and-after photos coming soon.

Photographs:

This is a Singer Model 20 sewing-machine from the 1950s. Manufactured from 1910-1970, this was a toy machine intended for use by children. It is, nonetheless, a functional sewing-machine, in that it possesses the ability to sew cloth together using a needle and thread. Although it only does a very simple chain-stitch, which isn't really designed for long-term sewing applications.

This is what the machine looked like when I got it home:

IMG_0487_zpsdb998ff6.jpg

As you can see, it was extremely gungy, rusty, and although impossible to tell from the photo, the crank had a really annoying, jarring, squeaking sound.

Five minutes soaking in the ultrasonic bath cleared out the gunk in the gear-mechanism, and the crank now runs smoothly.

Six hours of heavy sanding has removed the majority of the rust (but I'll keep going until I can get no more off). This is what it looks like at the moment:

IMG_0499_zpse3010417.jpg

These machines were really more toys than machines, designed for use by girls to imitate mommy sewing on her big-girl Singer. But they did come with at least one attachment, a seam-guide (if there were other attachments for this machine, I've yet to see photographs of them).

Trawling through a big box of sewing-machine parts that I've accumulated over the past couple of years, I found a screw and a seam-guide that perfectly fitted the machine (the original set having long-since disappeared).

IMG_0500_zps6d719c27.jpg

IMG_0501_zpsea8725e3.jpg

More photos will come when the project is finished.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If this ain't not a vintage SCORE. Nothing ever will be.

Dad and I woke up today at 6:00am, and drove for two hours, through this...

IMG_0521_zps75c96dbd.jpg

IMG_0524_zps94dce69a.jpg

IMG_0525_zpsb1f11c42.jpg

IMG_0526_zpse25cc409.jpg

IMG_0527_zpsa42c1955.jpg

...to attend the annual Fryerstown Antiques Fair.

Somebody man the air-raid sirens. We're entering Silent Hill.

At the end of this long and foggy drive, we reached the sparrowfart hamlet of Fryerstown. Population: Approx. 150 souls.

The FAF (I'm lazy, okay?) is a ONCE A YEAR event that takes place on the Australia Day Long Weekend. Dad and I were eager to go, and see if we could snatch up some bargains. We bought a few things at the fair - I got some fountain pens, we found a busted old sewing-machine which we can use for parts ($5.00 for that).

But my major-major-major score was this beautiful clothes valet:

IMG_0537_zpsb76399e0.jpg

IMG_0536_zpsd31e9e84.jpg

IMG_0533_zpsb76e1c01.jpg

IMG_0534_zpse4868a4c.jpg

IMG_0535_zps19819af4.jpg

I have wanted one of these things since forever and a day. But I was never able to find one that I liked. Almost invariably, they were the horrible 1950s-60s-70s "modernist" ones that try to "reinvent classics". and that just didn't suit me at all. I wanted a proper, classic, solid wood valet-stand. And I found it at the market.

The stand was outside one of the tent-stalls, and it had a poster clipped onto it advertising something I don't recall. So initially, my father and I thought it wasn't for sale. But as I got closer, I thought: I just HAD TO HAVE IT. I had a look, and tied to the top of the stand was a little white price-tag with the princely sum of...

"$5.00".

I GRABBED IT before anyone else could even think of it, chased down the stallholder, smacked a fiver in her hand, unclipped the sign, and walked off with it! MINE!

DNO

One Too Many
Very nice. Sounds like the kind of event you wouldn't want to miss!

As for the fog...add snow, ice and slush and that what it was like driving around here today. The fog was incredibly dense in spots.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I found two things at the local antique store today.

First up is a check? from 1909. I bought this, because it is old, and it was paid for on Apr 3, 1909 (and I was born on Apr 3, 1994). Only cost me $3.

112.jpg

212.jpg

310.jpg

Next up is a Women's blouse, that I believe can date to the 1800's - early 1900's... maybe the 70's. I have no idea how to date Women's clothing, but it feels old. Only cost me $13.20, as it was on sale from $16.50.

07010.jpg

Last edited:
thriftstore009.jpg

thriftstore007.jpg

thriftstore003.jpg

thriftstore002.jpg

thriftstore001.jpg

So here is what I purchased.

2- Tweed blazers with wood buttons. one also has the elbo patches--- $8.00
1- Great 100% wool suit that fits perfect ( I will have the pants cuffed) The pics dont capture the quality of this suit. $7.50
1- PaIR OF dEXTER SPECTATORS IN SUPER CONDITION,, THEY ARE BURGUNDY AND BLACK VERY GOOD SHAPE. $12.00
1 -PAIR OF SUSPENDERS--- DECENT .50
1- 100% WOOL VEST BY ROBERT STOCK-- GREAT SHAPE AND VERY WARM... $3.00

The hat I just sat on the bed to admire. Its an Adam with a 3 in brim..

Hi Folks
I made some good finds today at some good will stores.
I will detail the items after they post.
Best regards
CCJ

I hope you enjoy my finds, I sure did.
CCJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic