Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not People's Bazaar but another place. By the Ashby BART station. Specialized in Asian antiques of C20.

I came in with the stroller. A big dog was inside and a frail old man. I was dressed to the nines and looked very respectable AND I HAD A BABY FOR GOSHSAKE. This normally adds to your respectability unless you are a crack wh#re. The old man said "oh, there's a dog in here, I don't know about the baby."

Rather rude. I said, "perhaps I'll just poke my head in."

He said, "Are you interested in Asian antiques? What are you interested in?" in a slightly challenging tone, rather than letting me make up my own mind -- as though he needed to ascertain whether I 'belonged' there.

I said, "Yes, but usually more American early C20."

His tone was annoyed and annoying. I got out.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I had a similar thing happen at Long Beach Market. Hubby and I were looking at some tiki/hawaiian postcards and there was one from the Caliente Tropics in Palm Springs. we had stayed there and were interested in it, any way we spoke to the vendor, commented on the card and asked if he had ever been there. Well, with that he took the cards from us and put them back in the boxes :eek: :eek: needless to say we bought nothing and will not go near him any time we go to the market. I don't get it??? If you don't want to part with the things then don't put them up for sale.

Dr Doran

goldwyn girl said:
I had a similar thing happen at Long Beach Market. Hubby and I were looking at some tiki/hawaiian postcards and there was one from the Caliente Tropics in Palm Springs. we had stayed there and were interested in it, any way we spoke to the vendor, commented on the card and asked if he had ever been there. Well, with that he took the cards from us and put them back in the boxes :eek: :eek: needless to say we bought nothing and will not go near him any time we go to the market. I don't get it??? If you don't want to part with the things then don't put them up for sale.

Time to get slaphappy.

anabolina

A-List Customer
Aw, I'm so happy. I found this really attractive pair of shoes at the thrift store for $3. I don't reckon they are vintage, but more vintage-inspired, but they fit and were a good price.

newthrift013.jpg

newthrift012.jpg

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Those are great, Anabolina! They look very vintage to me, even though they are modern. :eusa_clap

I had some luck--and my purchases actually made the antique store ladies happy. ;)

Like-new green wool bag with an odd handle/clasp (from Garay--it was $12):
045-1.jpg

Victorian match safe--it was $15:
046-1.jpg

047-1.jpg

And hats...

The scarf-thing was $3:
060.jpg

And this was $5:
058.jpg

059.jpg

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I bought these trays last month, they were supposed to be a gift for my cousin's bar, but I decided they were probably too kitchy for them. Any idea when they are from? I was thinking 70's. [huh]
023-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

021.jpg

018.jpg

019-1.jpg

Dr Doran

found this 1964 typewriter in perfect condition not at a thrift or yard sale but stuck between the beams in the storage chamber built into the hillside in our apartment.

DSCF2826-1.jpg

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
epr25 said:
I love trays. We always buy them. But then the age old question. What do you do with them?

i had two hawaii trays like the ones miss brill posted above, in my shop. i displayed them (leaned against the wall) with some tiki and tropical-themed merchandise. it was really cute! this would also be cute in a china or curio cabinet to liven up the background!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
ShooShooBaby said:
i had two hawaii trays like the ones miss brill posted above, in my shop. i displayed them (leaned against the wall) with some tiki and tropical-themed merchandise. it was really cute! this would also be cute in a china or curio cabinet to liven up the background!

Sounds cool--I wasn't sure what I'd do with them. I'll probably use them as bookcase backgrounds. :eusa_clap

nulty

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
found this 1964 typewriter in perfect condition not at a thrift or yard sale but stuck between the beams in the storage chamber built into the hillside in our apartment.

DSCF2826-1.jpg

I must say, that machine appears older than 1964...nice find in any event....

russa11

One of the Regulars
This is a fan (that is working also) I got from a person up the street. He did not want it anymore and just gave it to me. I am not sure how old it is I think it may be from the 50's:

fan.jpg

A.R. McVintage

Is the matchsafe brass or brasstone? If brasstone, I would argue not truly late-Victorian as the design indicates aside from the fact that I've not encountered one antique store selling a true Victorian piece of that stripe for less than fifty US.

Either way, it is still a quite lovely find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw