Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

From a small town thrift. A USA made bandana, a coffee mug and an awesome belt buckle.

28210313670_4b080d529c_z.jpg

28415603031_7f6425d975_z.jpg

27878075893_1eb501d387_z.jpg

28461487946_e7bdd9fe9e_z.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
you scored big time with that plate topper!!!

This is my all-time biggest score.
Bought at the flea market from a guy who buys items from estate sales.
The camera included, leather cases, wide angle & telephoto lenses, filters
all made by Leica company in Germany. Was not sure if the camera worked
or not, but it looked like who ever owned it took great care. Paid $30 for the kit.
Later, I had it tested at a local camera shop & it was found to be in excellent
working condition.

Leica 35mm
23s82hc.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^^
My personal favorite would be the Western Flyer X-53 bicycle which was my very
first bike as a kid.
23hpqq8.jpg

It’s old & has been repainted, but it’s all there. Just need some dusting & it’s
good to go.
I found it in the same location where I lived as a kid.

Not too many of these models around anymore.

I’d like to think it’s the same bike that I got for Christmas in 1955. :)

^^^^
My personal favorite would be the Western Flyer X-53 bicycle which was my very
first bike as a kid.
23hpqq8.jpg

It’s old & has been repainted, but it’s all there. Just need some dusting & it’s
good to go.
I found it in the same location where I lived as a kid.

Not too many of these models around anymore.

I’d like to think it’s the same bike that I got for Christmas in 1955. :)
That's super cool!
Don't see many of those around.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I didn't post this before now, because I spent two weeks restoring it. But this is a mid-1800s solid brass nautical telecope I got for my birthday:

9872ed9db8711a9cf2a28d12ce5fd398.jpg

It is 11in. closed, and extends to 39in. long. It weighs about a pound and a half (approx 750g), and has solid brass construction, with a mahogany sleeve over the barrel. It's a four-draw telescope with four lenses and a two-piece achromatic objective lens.

It took several days of cleaning, lubrication, cleaning, lubrication, more cleaning, more lubrication, yet more cleaning and still yet more lubrication to clean out ALL THE GUNK (150 years' worth!) inside the telescope so that it would open and close properly. I also wrapped tape around some of the threads to improve grip and friction, and cleaned the lenses as best as I could.

It now works really well! :)

Here it is, with my three-draw pocket telescope, from around 1890-1905-era:

902181ace945fb44f9b20f089f6fd758.jpg

The small 'scope is 6in. closed, and 16in. opened. The same basic construction is seen in both telescopes. It was a style of construction that existed for CENTURIES (which can make these things hard to date...)

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Originally issued in 30's this is a book about shear techniques and patterns from 1947. I thought it was both ladies and gentlemen issue, judging from 144 pages, but only ladies patterns inside.

I didn't post this before now, because I spent two weeks restoring it. But this is a mid-1800s solid brass nautical telecope I got for my birthday:

9872ed9db8711a9cf2a28d12ce5fd398.jpg

It is 11in. closed, and extends to 39in. long. It weighs about a pound and a half (approx 750g), and has solid brass construction, with a mahogany sleeve over the barrel. It's a four-draw telescope with four lenses and a two-piece achromatic objective lens.

It took several days of cleaning, lubrication, cleaning, lubrication, more cleaning, more lubrication, yet more cleaning and still yet more lubrication to clean out ALL THE GUNK (150 years' worth!) inside the telescope so that it would open and close properly. I also wrapped tape around some of the threads to improve grip and friction, and cleaned the lenses as best as I could.

It now works really well! :)

Here it is, with my three-draw pocket telescope, from around 1890-1905-era:

902181ace945fb44f9b20f089f6fd758.jpg

The small 'scope is 6in. closed, and 16in. opened. The same basic construction is seen in both telescopes. It was a style of construction that existed for CENTURIES (which can make these things hard to date...)

Wow! Absolutely stunning. Great find.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thank you!!

Here's my latest flea-market find (and restoration project):

7299c803f6fe0ad21104622ce8d2b11c.jpg

Old-fashioned lift-arm lighter. Made ca. 1932, by Karl Wieden, in Germany. Nickel-plated brass construction.

81216794ec065638a78fc1fc328cb391.jpg

I bought it because it has the coat of arms of my school on it!! :D

After extensive, extensive cleaning, which included...

- Replacing the wick.
- Replacing the flint.
- Replacing the cotton.
- Removing the flint-wheel and washing it in lighter-fluid.
- Sending the lighter through an ultrasonic cleaner.
- Wiping off loads of grime.

...it works!:

800b46d7369fd03647e0e04782a5e975.jpg

Not bad for something that's over 80 years old!!

mikepara

Practically Family
What made this book exciting was the fact that it was signed by Popski himself and given to George Lee. Lee was a Canadian Lieutenant who commanded 'R Patrol' of Popski's Private Army from mid-1944 to May 1945. When I got it home I found that Lee had taped in the funeral program for Peniakoff's funeral from 1951. In addition I found an original photograph of a group of 42 PPA troops in the back of the book, as well as clippings about Peniakoff's death and an interesting receipt from Fortnum and Masons for 6 pairs of boots dated October 1943.

Superb find. As a member of 'The Friends of PPA' I can onlt say how jealous I am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner