Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Brinybay

Practically Family
Got this couch just today at a used furniture place. Ok, note to self and a promise to my best friend: no more big stuff in my apt! Boy, this was a real pita to get in because of the odd angles of the entry way to my apt. It would not fit through my front door, we had to take it out and go through the bedroom window, that was the only straight shot it would fit. Luckily I'm on the first floor.

How it looks in the room:

baha47

New in Town
Spectators

Just joined and this is my first post in this area. Found these Allen Edmond shoes at a local Goodwill in their Halloween section.
Please visit my vintage necktie site, K.N.O.T. (Kollectors of Nasty Old Ties)
http://www.geocities.com/knot.geo

AllenEd1.jpg

AllenEd2.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
More Success...

Top pair signed Lisner.
IMG_0768.JPG

Needs work on the back but I love the detail and there is a little pamphlet inside about care.
IMG_0778.JPG

I just thought this was delightfully kitschy.
IMG_0779.JPG

Nice black slip.
IMG_0780.JPG

baha47

New in Town
Size 9 C. I'll wear anything from a 9 to a 13, but the C is just too narrow. 13's require 2 plastic bags in the toes...a 2 bagger. Passed up a black/white pair of same, but they were in shabbier condition.
Pictured is another Allen Edmonds thrift store find. Another store, another place...can't remember exactly where.
Size 9 B. Two-tone with suede accent.
AllenEd3.jpg

AllenEd4.jpg

Kadri

Familiar Face
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Kadri, those are great! What are you going to do with them?

Well,I collect movie and theater memorabilia from the Golden Age,so I'll just keep them.
The people in the store had no idea of the value of those cards and sold the to me extremely cheap.
I'm glad it was a true classic movie lover,like me,who got them,not some jerk who will sell them on ebay for a much higher price.

Also-the postcards had some pretty interesting messages written on them.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kadri said:
Well,I collect movie and theater memorabilia from the Golden Age,so I'll just keep them.
The people in the store had no idea of the value of those cards and sold the to me extremely cheap.
I'm glad it was a true classic movie lover,like me,who got them,not some jerk who will sell them on ebay for a much higher price.

Also-the postcards had some pretty interesting messages written on them.

That's great! I was wondering if you make collages, or frame them, or something. :)

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I don't have a camera so I'll just describe the greatness

Last week at good will I found a grey botany 500 trenchcoat with a wool lining for ten dollars and they usually run in the hundreds.

I'm not sure of the age of the coat but the lining in it says 1965 so I'm assuming the coat is that old or older unless some weirdo put in an older lining just to mess with me.

If anyone actually knows how to date one of these that'd be nice (Pm me if you do)

Lokar

A-List Customer
Jewellery box

I've noticed that second hand stores and the like are much worse in Sweden than the UK - More expensive, less items, much more modern items created to actually be sold at the second hand store, etc.

I've been looking for something to store my cufflinks, pocket watch etc., but have not found anything that would work. I was at a second hand store I often visit, and I went into the back area where they had products that they were not going to sell and were going to be destroyed. I was told I could have anything for free if I wanted to. I found this, and considering it was free I'm very happy with it! I'm certain it was originally for a woman, but it works perfectly and the colour isn't feminine.

3330304533_c9f43a02ca.jpg

3331141842_f2c29faf4b.jpg

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
I bought around 15 books that were all under a dollar each that range from the 20s-50s. One is from the 60's though.
They are all on the subject of theater and ballet and have wonderful pictures and anectodes. Many pictures from the teens also.
The one from the 60s is a teach-yourself book on Ancient and Medieval History though - Very nice, since I have an exam on that very subject this summer!

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
Hehe, I would be careful with that. ;)
Don't worry, I will. :) It's from the 60s, so some views may have changed. ;)
It's not really a history book per say, just a "opslagsbog", it offers a quick overview over important dates, people and wars in those times. :)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Tinseltown said:
Don't worry, I will. :) It's from the 60s, so some views may have changed. ;)
It's not really a history book per say, just a "opslagsbog", it offers a quick overview over important dates, people and wars in those times. :)

:eek:fftopic:

Ooh, that's very useful! Check out André Grabar's book on Early Christian art, it's in our library at art history, big red book. It has a really good timeline too.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
:eek:fftopic:

Ooh, that's very useful! Check out André Grabar's book on Early Christian art, it's in our library at art history, big red book. It has a really good timeline too.
I will, thanks. Now back on topic! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters