Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
everyone's getting such cool stuff! i'm esp coveting that girl scout top.

as we all know, i can't stay out of the thrifts. i spent $41 at the goodwill bins alone, and that was getting down to the $.69 a pound level! :rolleyes: fortunately most of the stuff is for resale - i'm getting a spot in a local retro/vintage shop!!

one of the things i've bought for myself lately though, is this wonderful little record player! it was $5.

616761141_4b94b6acdf.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
ShooShooBaby said:
everyone's getting such cool stuff! i'm esp coveting that girl scout top.

as we all know, i can't stay out of the thrifts. i spent $41 at the goodwill bins alone, and that was getting down to the $.69 a pound level! :rolleyes: fortunately most of the stuff is for resale - i'm getting a spot in a local retro/vintage shop!!

one of the things i've bought for myself lately though, is this wonderful little record player! it was $5.

616761141_4b94b6acdf.jpg
Wow, and it's stereo too. Looks to be '60s vintage. Does it still work? :)
(I'm getting inspired to go out to some of my stores today,...it's time to score something cool I think.)

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Wow, and it's stereo too. Looks to be '60s vintage. Does it still work? :)
(I'm getting inspired to go out to some of my stores today,...it's time to score something cool I think.)

it turns on, but i got rid of my records when i moved a couple years ago, since i didn't have a record player. so i haven't actually gotten around to seeing if it plays properly.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Nice one Quigley! I've found quite a lot of chalkware lately myself. Six pieces (three pairs) to be exact- the two Caribbean figures I posted earlier, two flying ducks for my son's vintage outdoor-themed room and some more kitchen fruit. Those last were a steal- the two fruit wallhangings and four printed Xmas glasses for a total of 50 cents!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Reading this yesterday inpired me.

To go out hunting. So I found this awesome Baroque style 2 x 4 foot frame for a mere fraction of what one would expect to pay for a four inch wide frame with linen liner. :)
Even came with a painting. A somewhat hideous painting however that had to go the first thing after getting it home. Maybe I can unload it on ebay? [huh]
Stopped on the way home and bought a canvas on which to create a more appropriate painting for it.
Now all I need is some inspiration,....:rolleyes:
Frame.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got this yesterday, which will be nice when I sell jackets and such from time to time:

suitformic8.jpg

It's in great shape, and apparently is made by a better manufacturer of such things. I paid $20 for it (50% off yesterday). I've been wanting something like it for awhile.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
To go out hunting. So I found this awesome Baroque style 2 x 4 foot frame for a mere fraction of what one would expect to pay for a four inch wide frame with linen liner. :)
Even came with a painting. A somewhat hideous painting however that had to go the first thing after getting it home. Maybe I can unload it on ebay? [huh]
Stopped on the way home and bought a canvas on which to create a more appropriate painting for it.
Now all I need is some inspiration,....:rolleyes:
Frame.jpg
cool frame, I'm sure inpiraton for you is easy to come by!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Trickeration said:
MaryDeluxe - Those lamps are fabulous!

I had a "hunch" about going to the thrift store today. My mom says I get that from my dad. When it happens, we drop what we're doing an go. It hasn't failed yet. Today my daughter, Kat, was the one to benefit the most from it. She got a great vintage dress, a 50's housecoat (sadly it was a bit too small for me) and a button up shirt (not pictured). I spotted the bracelet as soon as we came through the door, and the earrings were in the case below it. Kat also has a great eye for ties, so she went to work going through about 100 or so of them hanging on the ends of the aisles. She found this one as a late Father's Day present for my husband. Also, the cabinet, contents, and everything else in the first pic are thrift store finds from over the years.
dsc00546ov5.jpg

dsc00540bl6.jpg
dsc00531cx2.jpg
dsc00554xm0.jpg
dsc00555yb0.jpg
dsc00548fr3.jpg

I wish I was your daughter!

Feraud

Bartender
For you bird lovers out there. Found this for .99 cents.

295 American Birds: Museum of Natural History, University of Minnesota
by Thomas S. Roberts
scan0147.jpg

scan0150.jpg

scan0149.jpg

scan0148.jpg

The book is from 1936 and contains 92 plates.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i'm sooooo excited.

here is my newest piece of furniture, courtesy of the thrift store.

758255129_71c433bac9.jpg

not the best picture... it's dark wood, and the interior on the glass side is amazing! the bottom is mirrored, and the back is quilted satin.

anyone have a guess as to the year of production?

p.s. i can't figure out how to make my flickr images appear on here, so you'll have to click the link!

ShooShooBaby said:
i'm sooooo excited.

here is my newest piece of furniture, courtesy of the thrift store.

758255129_71c433bac9.jpg

not the best picture... it's dark wood, and the interior on the glass side is amazing! the bottom is mirrored, and the back is quilted satin.

anyone have a guess as to the year of production?

p.s. i can't figure out how to make my flickr images appear on here, so you'll have to click the link!

You need to remove the .?v=0 from the url.

If the address doesn't end in .jpg or .tif or another image format it won't be recognised as an image.

This is one of the ways these sites try to prevent the images appearing on other web sites, forcing the viewer to visit the image hosting site and encouraging them to open their own account.

That is a lovely bar. I have no idea when it was made, though.

bk

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I was going to post this in the Powder Room, but I wasn't sure just how strict the "no men allowed" rule was in there, so I'll play it safe and post here:

There's a vintage store in my neighborhood that mostly sells small things -- glasses and cocktail shakers, postcards, Christmas decorations, and lamps.

But yesterday when I passed by, they had three 1940s dresses hanging from the awning out front -- two were cotton floral prints, one was a more formal dress in black crepe.

The price for all three, combined, was only $55. I'd never seen clothes at this store -- they really don't have the room -- but these were very appealing, the prices were certainly right, and I thought they just might fit my GF.

I took the plunge, figuring I'd sell them on Ebay if they didn't fit or, less likely, if she didn't like them. Turns out she loves them. What's more, two of them fit like a charm, and the third needs just a small bit of taking in.

I feel as though I pretty much hit the jackpot -- see what you think:

http://flickr.com/photos/bleveridge/sets/72157600823931675/show/

Feraud

Bartender
These came from thift stores and an Army/Navy shop.
The first three are sqare bottom. None cost over 5 bucks because they were not purchased at "vintage shops". ;)
DSC01879.jpg

DSC01880.jpg

DSC01881.jpg

DSC01883.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
I bought this raincoat for 7 dollars at my "secret spot" thrift store. The jacket is in perfect condition, Vietnam era I think..
As fate would have it, I had this exact jacket when I was a teenager! Canal Jean in NYC used to have racks of military surplus and vintage overcoats.
DSC01884.jpg

DSC01887.jpg

DSC01888.jpg

Starius

Practically Family
I go to a lot of Auctions and Flea Markets so I may post to this thread a lot from time to time.

Here is a ladies bedroom desk w/ mirror I picked up at an auction this weekend:

ldresser1np4.jpg

ldresser2da3.jpg

ldresser3xa5.jpg

ldresser4yd8.jpg

I just loved the deco style of it. I'm a bit unsure of the year it would have come out of though. No later than mid 40s I'm guessing. Excellent condition just a few minor condition issues that can be fixed. In any event, a steal at $20.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
A beautiful desk, Starius, and a fantastic deal! Very nice.
For minor scratches, such as those in the leg well, I've covered them by rubbing chapstick into them with my finger. Works surprisingly well.

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran