Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

PoohBang

Suspended
That's a TREMENDOUS score, PoohBang. I love it when one of us gets a cool old item like that.

--------------

I've seen my share of these valets in op' shops, but they're usually very rickety and priced around $25ish. I bought this one today for $4 and it's stable.

DSCN4749.jpg

what's the history on that green cabinet. I love the finger locks on that...

Foofoogal

Banned
The last chairs inspired me to finally put mine here. A few years back I went to a yard sale and about fainted when I found 2 very worn out 1930s platform rockers. I dragged around always wanting to do something with them. I then ran across some fabric at another yard sale.(Duckweave I think) Finally found a man that knew how to redo them fantastic. I will put these here and I think somewhere I have some before photos. As our children are now grown I got real bold and used cream white.
IMG_7393.jpg

IMG_7395.jpg

IMG_7394.jpg

These were for my birthday present back then to myself and I am short and they are perfect. Hope to be sitting in these when I am 109. They are pretty sturdy.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Had a real splurge at the market today.

A Conway Stewart lever-filler fountain pen.
A Parker '51' Aerometric.
A turn-of-the-century dip-pen with a bone shaft.
A ring-clip watch-chain. Gold-plated. Not what I would normally buy, but a proper gold chain of a similar size is WAY above anything I could possibly afford!

BonePen.jpg

Bone pen and chain seen in this photo. Yes I know, I screwed up the quote.

Last edited:
The chairs are lovely, Sandy. I dare not do what you've done, pay good money to have old chairs reupholstered in that type of fabric, for fear my precious little kitty would make it her mission in life to shred 'em.

Foofoogal

Banned
I actually have a cat Elsa but she is well behaved..She has one small area rug that is hers and she knows it.
She was a feral cat and came when I bought our home. Now she will not go out for more than 5 minutes. I guess she is so happy and loves me so much that she wants to make sure I don't put her out. I do understand though. Thank you.
I even bought her a climbing post but she would not come near it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
PenShow26.jpg

Not quite thrift store or garage sale or whatever...but these three antique fountain pens were my scores from the 2010 Melbourne Pen Show.

1910s Conklin Crescent Filler.
1900s Waterman #12 eyedropper (w/origina box).
1920s sterling silver button-filler. (no name pen).

Here's my latest thrift-store find:

DeskBlotter1.jpg

DeskBlotter2.jpg

Vintage desk-blotter in calfskin leather with original blotting-paper. After a bit of TLC and repair, it shall grace my desk where I will be doing a shameful amount of blotting on it...

Last edited:
Last Saturday, at my favorite junk peddler's emporium, 10 bucks ...

IMGP2164.jpg

IMGP2165.jpg

I saw it rolled up there and asked what it was. She said, "unroll it and take a look."

"Cool," I said, or something to that effect. "Where'd you get it?"

She explained that she found it at a charity thrift shop in a fairly remote small town and that I could have it for what she paid for it, which was all of five bucks. I told her I'd gladly see that she doubled her money on it. (I've been a regular customer since she opened the space a few years back. Astute junk peddler that she is, she knows how to keep her regulars coming back.)

It measures just a tad under 7 feet by 5 feet. It's paper on some sort of cloth backing. It ain't in great shape, and I doubt it has a whole lot of monetary value, but it fits well into its new home, a previously blank wall in my shop.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The desk-blotter after my father and I did a modest refurbishing job...

blotternew.jpg

A 1962 Parker Junior Duofold (English) three-piece pen-set to go with it...

NOSDuofold2.jpg

...and a brush for my hats...

hatbrush.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn