Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Five bucks bought this folding rocker. I've started the resto'. "After" pix to follow,... someday.

DSCN5141.jpg

DSCN5145.jpg

My grandmother had a wickerback rocking-chair like that! I remember playing on it as a little boy. It was fun to rock in it, but I was always terrified of it tipping over.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
A thrift store cabinet started me on a kick to re-do the bathroom off my study. It's now taking on a vintage vibe, no?

DSCN5281.jpg

DSCN5947.jpg

DSCN5950.jpg

DSCN5951.jpg

DSCN5952.jpg

DSCN5955.jpg

DSCN5954.jpg

In fact, nearly everything except the signs came from thrift stores including the mirrors and light fixture.

Walls seriously need painting. I've picked out a historic, very pale shade of mint green.

Golly, even a coffee pot... In the bathroom??? How uncanny! Your thrown room has become a barber shop! Looks really cool though, I must admit. Love the old signs.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Found this 1930 Regal at Saver's in Tucson AZ last Christmas.

1930regalcathedral.jpg

100% complete and original, works however volume control does not operate properly, it's only loud or off but, nothing my buddy can't fix! Set me back a whole $19.99!

You never know what you'll find in a thrift shop... you get lucky once in a while!

-=R

Nothing overly exciting on my run this week.

Came across a piggy bank at Columbus Antique Mall last weekend, with the same message on it, but I wasn't gonna shell out 50 bucks for it.
This one was 3 bucks at St. Vinnie's and liked it better!
GEDC0913-1.jpg

I'm a sucker for barometers.
GEDC0922.jpg

And Gone With The Wind lamps.
GEDC0921.jpg

And who doesn't enjoy a vintage tie for a buck!
GEDC0915.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, no it's not the original name. I've also seen them called Parlor Lamps or Hurricane Lamps, which is a very general term. I just hear them often called that in antique shops, on eBay, etc.

That's surely not what their original name is, though. I think they're called Argand or Student lamps, properly. Not GWTW lamps!

Picked these up today.
Some vintage magazines. The Looks are from 1942 and the Life is from 1953, bonus with that one, there was an ad for my bathroom scale in it lol
GEDC0927.jpg

Old Stetson Hat Box, guessing 1960s
GEDC0924.jpg

Couldn't turn this guy down for 50 cents. I am a die-hard Conway Twitty fan!
GEDC0925.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
monogrammedlinks2.jpg

monogrammedlinks1.jpg

Cufflinks. 1940s. 9kt solid gold. $60.00. Has various hallmarks on the back, but I can only read the '375' (9kt). Engraved on the front with initials "MFS"...whoever he was.

PoohBang

Suspended
goodwill,

I took it apart yesterday, waxed the bakelite, turns out the top two screws are stripped on the female ends on the bakelite so finding a replacement case might be a bit of an issue.

Anyone know if I can plug this into a current house outlet or would it fry it?

I took it apart yesterday, waxed the bakelite, turns out the top two screws are stripped on the female ends on the bakelite so finding a replacement case might be a bit of an issue.

The original threads (now stripped) were cut into the Bakelite itself, and not a metal insert of some type, right? If that's the case, I'd think some sort of hardening plastic compound could be packed into the holes with the stripped-out threads, let set until partially hardened, then the original screws (greased, maybe) could be turned into those holes, cutting new threads as they go, left there long enough for the impression to take, and then backed out.

Just an idea, you know. But it just might work.

PoohBang

Suspended
The original threads (now stripped) were cut into the Bakelite itself, and not a metal insert of some type, right? If that's the case, I'd think some sort of hardening plastic compound could be packed into the holes with the stripped-out threads, let set until partially hardened, then the original screws (greased, maybe) could be turned into those holes, cutting new threads as they go, left there long enough for the impression to take, and then backed out.
Just an idea, you know. But it just might work.

Thanks thats a great idea. Yes the top of the treads are still there, it's the bottoms of them that are broken off... and I'd have to find the set of screws that match.... It did come with an odd plug, it's a dryer type that's three prong but in a triangle shape....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn