Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

I grabbed this because I liked the color illustrations inside it. It seems I hit the jackpot on it though:
$(KGrHqN,!rcFCi3d3(m0BQ3RS5hHHg~~60_58.JPG

Interesting I also picked up a third edition of Roman Candle.
41RCZzYXCHL.jpg

Wheeeeeee.....:p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Riiiggghhhttt. The boat was fast and responsive. He was stupidly fooled into thinking a HUGE destroyer was another PT boat and stood there waiting to get hit. lol lol

They had 11 seconds to respond. You have been watching to many action movies! In real life, all the throttles did was tell the engine room what to do. There was just not enough time, and that's assuming every one was in perfect condition, non of the PT crews were, and their boats weren't either. A destroyer could often out run a PT boat, which could rarely reach the advertised 40 knots. Several of the Skippers commented on how they became aware of a passing Japanese destroyer when their boats started to bob in the water. Radar is what changed the PT boats, unfortunately the boats with radar that night, fired their fish and took off, leaving the others to bob around as usual. It really was not if one was run down, but when, the destroyer crews even had standing orders to run one down! The real story, by the different boat Skippers that were there, is much better then the movie, or all the arm chair Skippers.

They had 11 seconds to respond. You have been watching to many action movies! In real life, all the throttles did was tell the engine room what to do. There was just not enough time, and that's assuming every one was in perfect condition, non of the PT crews were, and their boats weren't either. A destroyer could often out run a PT boat, which could rarely reach the advertised 40 knots. Several of the Skippers commented on how they became aware of a passing Japanese destroyer when their boats started to bob in the water. Radar is what changed the PT boats, unfortunately the boats with radar that night, fired their fish and took off, leaving the others to bob around as usual. It really was not if one was run down, but when, the destroyer crews even had standing orders to run one down! The real story, by the different boat Skippers that were there, is much better then the movie, or all the arm chair Skippers.

Hmmmm.....
"PT-109 was one of the boats left behind. Lieutenant Kennedy rendezvoused his boat with two others, PT-162 and PT-169. The three boats spread out to make a picket line across the strait. At about 2:30 in the morning, a shape loomed out of the darkness three hundred yards off PT-109's starboard bow. The young lieutenant and his crew first believed it to be another PT boat. When it became apparent that it was one of the Japanese destroyers, Kennedy attempted to turn to starboard to bring his torpedoes to bear. But there was not enough time.

The destroyer, later identified as the Amagiri, struck PT-109 just forward of the forward starboard torpedo tube, ripping away the starboard aft side of the boat. The impact tossed Kennedy around the cockpit. Most of the crew were knocked into the water. The one man below decks, engineer Patrick McMahon, miraculously escaped, although he was badly burned by exploding fuel."

An account DIRECTLY from the JFK Library. 300 yards away and they couldn't move out of the way?! Nearly three football fields away? Going 46 mph? It took them that long to figure out that they should turn to fire? :rofl: Riiiggghhhtttt.....

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Hmmmm.....
"PT-109 was one of the boats left behind. Lieutenant Kennedy rendezvoused his boat with two others, PT-162 and PT-169. The three boats spread out to make a picket line across the strait. At about 2:30 in the morning, a shape loomed out of the darkness three hundred yards off PT-109's starboard bow. The young lieutenant and his crew first believed it to be another PT boat. When it became apparent that it was one of the Japanese destroyers, Kennedy attempted to turn to starboard to bring his torpedoes to bear. But there was not enough time.

The destroyer, later identified as the Amagiri, struck PT-109 just forward of the forward starboard torpedo tube, ripping away the starboard aft side of the boat. The impact tossed Kennedy around the cockpit. Most of the crew were knocked into the water. The one man below decks, engineer Patrick McMahon, miraculously escaped, although he was badly burned by exploding fuel."

An account DIRECTLY from the JFK Library. 300 yards away and they couldn't move out of the way?! Nearly three football fields away? Going 46 mph? It took them that long to figure out that they should turn to fire? :rofl: Riiiggghhhtttt.....

The destroyer was traveling at 40 knots, that's 46mph so 67.467 feet per second, about 13.339 seconds . The 109 was idling on one engine, as ordered to at the time, the center engine would have to throttle up, which took seconds and the outboard engines started and put in gear and then throttled up, it was a painfully slow process, no John Wayne in the Salomon's. I will go by what the other skippers said, it was so dark you could barley see the bow of the boat, they were there, they had nothing to hide! It was the fog of war, some times you make good snap decisions, some times you don't. Ensigns make small decisions and two men die, World leaders make big decisions and millions die. If he had not become President, it would have been a miner indecent, that no one would be talking about today.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
This will give you an idea of what was going on that night. Notice it took eight seconds from the time he hit the starter button to the time the engine started and this engine is in much better shape then any of the engines in RON 2,3,4,5 and 6. I would say, they never did get them started! After that night, a new order was given to have all the engines running. The one engine was a dumb order by a desk jockey who was only worrying about the fuel bill! On an interesting side note, the 109 was twice fitted with radar before that night, the first installation was a complete disaster, and the second was inconclusive, so it was removed. If they had radar, like some of the other boats, we would not be talking about it today. [video=youtube;AW3rFfF565c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW3rFfF565c[/video]

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Today's car boot finds;
A 'Colorol' aluminium waterbottle that appears to have been never used, a bakelite shaving bowl( might have something missing from it's middle?) and a German? deco inspired desk clock-it doesn't work but it was too cheap to leave!

2d9zi0w.jpg

A commemorative souvenir of the 1937 coronation, the date originally intended for Edward VIII who abdicated before his coronation (crowning) and the same date was used for George VIs coronation. Too bad it doesn't say Edward VIII in particular, could be quite valuable if it did.

This will give you an idea of what was going on that night. Notice it took eight seconds from the time he hit the starter button to the time the engine started and this engine is in much better shape then any of the engines in RON 2,3,4,5 and 6. I would say, they never did get them started! After that night, a new order was given to have all the engines running. The one engine was a dumb order by a desk jockey who was only worrying about the fuel bill! On an interesting side note, the 109 was twice fitted with radar before that night, the first installation was a complete disaster, and the second was inconclusive, so it was removed. If they had radar, like some of the other boats, we would not be talking about it today. [video=youtube;AW3rFfF565c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW3rFfF565c[/video]

I will defer o the REAL experts and agree with the subsequent commander of the PT-Boat flotilla, LCDR Jack Gibson, who is quoted as saying:
"He lost the 109 through very poor organization of his crew," Gibson later said. "Everything he did up until he was in the water was the wrong thing."
Secondly, the Amaguri likely never even saw PT-109 or they would have more likely shelled it rather than run it down and just keep going like nothing happened.
His older brother Joe who asked "where were you when the destroyer came into sight and what were you moves?".
"The Navy brass may not have thought too much of Ambassador Joe Kennedy's son. They turned down Kennedy's superior recommendation of a Silver Star for a lesser Navy and Marine Corp medal. Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox let the paperwaork sit on his desk for several months. JFK got his medal when Knox died and Joe Kennedy's close friend James Forrestal replaced him."
Hmmmmmm.....

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
That's why I don't want to do the 109, to many emotions! 326 of the Elco 80' boats were made, yet the only one any one knows is the 109. Here is some good news on the 37mm mount. I now know that PT103 and 108 also had the single shot 37. Here is a little information from this great sight, http://www.pt103.gdinc.com/index.html Geary Sims of PT108 let me know that the 37mm on the 109 was ordnance supplied and an official install that hadn't happened yet. The crew lashed the gun to the deck because leaving it on the dock while on patrol was not a good idea.
Reference the 37mm gun: Doing extensive research on PT 108 which also had the same 37mm gun, I found there are some myths. One, the 37mm anti-tank wasn't found, in fact there were 8 to 10 boats that had/were to have this mounting. It was an experimental mounting to see if the 37mm gun was effective against the Daihatsu barges. The guns came from and were mounted by members of the US Army 25th Infantry Division. From conversations with Dick Keresey and some of the 108 crew, Kennedy may have been the one who came up with the idea for the mounting.
The 109 was slated for the mounting of the 37mm on her return from that mission. That is why she had the lumber lashed to the deck. Didn't want to leave on the dock for it might not be there when they got back.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I will defer o the REAL experts and agree with the subsequent commander of the PT-Boat flotilla, LCDR Jack Gibson, who is quoted as saying:
"He lost the 109 through very poor organization of his crew," Gibson later said. "Everything he did up until he was in the water was the wrong thing."
Secondly, the Amaguri likely never even saw PT-109 or they would have more likely shelled it rather than run it down and just keep going like nothing happened.
His older brother Joe who asked "where were you when the destroyer came into sight and what were you moves?".
"The Navy brass may not have thought too much of Ambassador Joe Kennedy's son. They turned down Kennedy's superior recommendation of a Silver Star for a lesser Navy and Marine Corp medal. Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox let the paperwaork sit on his desk for several months. JFK got his medal when Knox died and Joe Kennedy's close friend James Forrestal replaced him."
Hmmmmmm.....

Again, Gibson wasn't even at Lumbari, he didn't even arrive until February 1944, six months after the incident. Lt. Alvin Cluster, put Kennedy in for the Silver Star, it was held up by people with a grudge against Joe Sr. Having a famous father and brother, who many political rivals hated probably hurt Jack. Through no doings of his own, "it became big news when his crew was rescued, On board were two wire-service reporters who had jumped at the chance to report on the rescue of the son of Joseph Kennedy. Their stories and others exploded in newspapers, with dramatic accounts of Kennedy’s exploits." It didn't help that his dad decided to medal in the affair and openly campaign for The Medal Of Honor, which Jack never thought he deserved! Then a writer John Hersey, who wanted to make it big wrote a the famous book, which Kennedy himself said was all fouled up, made him famous. I actually fill sorry for him, he was thrust into something he didn't even want, he just wanted to get a destroyer like all the other Skippers, but having famous relatives changed his life forever. I am glad I was not born famous, it is not what it is cracked up to be. Joe Jr. was bitterly jealous that his little brother was up for a medal, and had earned the Purple Heart. In the end, it drove him to his death, he had to upstage his little brother, and stayed past his time, volunteering for the dangerous missions that killed him! Jack was tormented also, according to lt. Alvin Cluster, "Kennedy wept. He was bitter that other PT boats had not moved in to rescue his men after the wreck, Cluster said. But there was more. Jack felt very strongly about losing those two men and his ship in the Solomons,” Cluster said. “He…wanted to pay the Japanese back." He stayed and commanded PT59, making it into a barge buster, and then went hunting, this is when he became wreck less, and the others noticed! Enlisted men did not want to go out with him, he would go into the most dangerous missions. Cluster later said, “I think it was the guilt of losing his two crewmen, the guilt of losing his boat, and of not being able to sink a Japanese destroyer. I think all these things came together.” His body was a mess, "back and stomach pain made sleep impossible. His weight sank to 120 pounds, and bouts of fever turned his skin a ghastly yellow. Doctors in mid-November found a “definite ulcer crater” and “chronic disc disease of the lower back.” On December 14, nine months after he arrived in the Pacific, he was ordered home." Before you criticize, walk a mile in his moccasins. I am glad I didn't have to, what a dysfunctional family!

Again, Gibson wasn't even at Lumbari, he didn't even arrive until February 1944, six months after the incident. Lt. Alvin Cluster, put Kennedy in for the Silver Star, it was held up by people with a grudge against Joe Sr. Having a famous father and brother, who many political rivals hated probably hurt Jack. Through no doings of his own, "it became big news when his crew was rescued, On board were two wire-service reporters who had jumped at the chance to report on the rescue of the son of Joseph Kennedy. Their stories and others exploded in newspapers, with dramatic accounts of Kennedy’s exploits." It didn't help that his dad decided to medal in the affair and openly campaign for The Medal Of Honor, which Jack never thought he deserved! Then a writer John Hersey, who wanted to make it big wrote a the famous book, which Kennedy himself said was all fouled up, made him famous. I actually fill sorry for him, he was thrust into something he didn't even want, he just wanted to get a destroyer like all the other Skippers, but having famous relatives changed his life forever. I am glad I was not born famous, it is not what it is cracked up to be. Joe Jr. was bitterly jealous that his little brother was up for a medal, and had earned the Purple Heart. In the end, it drove him to his death, he had to upstage his little brother, and stayed past his time, volunteering for the dangerous missions that killed him! Jack was tormented also, according to lt. Alvin Cluster, "Kennedy wept. He was bitter that other PT boats had not moved in to rescue his men after the wreck, Cluster said. But there was more. Jack felt very strongly about losing those two men and his ship in the Solomons,” Cluster said. “He…wanted to pay the Japanese back." He stayed and commanded PT59, making it into a barge buster, and then went hunting, this is when he became wreck less, and the others noticed! Enlisted men did not want to go out with him, he would go into the most dangerous missions. Cluster later said, “I think it was the guilt of losing his two crewmen, the guilt of losing his boat, and of not being able to sink a Japanese destroyer. I think all these things came together.” His body was a mess, "back and stomach pain made sleep impossible. His weight sank to 120 pounds, and bouts of fever turned his skin a ghastly yellow. Doctors in mid-November found a “definite ulcer crater” and “chronic disc disease of the lower back.” On December 14, nine months after he arrived in the Pacific, he was ordered home." Before you criticize, walk a mile in his moccasins. I am glad I didn't have to, what a dysfunctional family!

Oh cry me a river. He still screwed up and got out of it just fine----many, many, many times.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Oh cry me a river. He still screwed up and got out of it just fine----many, many, many times.

I just thought of another kid from a prominent family, that also joined the Navy in WWII. He also won several medals for his valor, and was on many successful missions before the one that went terribly wrong and also cost two men their lives. He also went on to become President, but unlike Kennedy is still with us. He just celebrated his 90th birthday by skydiving. Of course, I am talking about George HW Bush. Because he is famous, people who hate him for who he is and for his family, trashed him all over the internet for the decisions he made that day. More arm chair Admirals that weren't there, and have no idea what he went through! Both of them made mistakes, but they did the best they could as young men. Be glad you didn't have to make those life and death decisions in your early 20s!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Lucky 13

It's Friday the 13th, my lucky day! This one was no exception. This was not a yard sale find, but very lucky indeed. I was talking to a gentlemen with several Vintage Corvettes. As the conversation went on, the subject of the slow and ungainly original Corvettes came up. I mentioned I had bought a Matchbox 1/72 version back in the 80s, and it had a tragic accident on the builders slip. A big box fell on it! He said he had one he was never going to build, and I could have it. I was really surprised when I got to his house and found out it was not the Matchbox version, but the new Revell Platinum edition with photoetched parts! This one will have to be radio controlled. Now, if I can just get lucky and find a free 1/32 Italeri Scnellboot!
comp_Revell-Flower-Class-Corvette-Deckelbild_zps1ed6f6ab.jpg

I just thought of another kid from a prominent family, that also joined the Navy in WWII. He also won several medals for his valor, and was on many successful missions before the one that went terribly wrong and also cost two men their lives. He also went on to become President, but unlike Kennedy is still with us. He just celebrated his 90th birthday by skydiving. Of course, I am talking about George HW Bush. Because he is famous, people who hate him for who he is and for his family, trashed him all over the internet for the decisions he made that day. More arm chair Admirals that weren't there, and have no idea what he went through! Both of them made mistakes, but they did the best they could as young men. Be glad you didn't have to make those life and death decisions in your early 20s!

Wheeee..... Another guy who had no worries in life. Poor guy. I am sure he stayed up a whole night worrying. :rofl:

It's Friday the 13th, my lucky day! This one was no exception. This was not a yard sale find, but very lucky indeed. I was talking to a gentlemen with several Vintage Corvettes. As the conversation went on, the subject of the slow and ungainly original Corvettes came up. I mentioned I had bought a Matchbox 1/72 version back in the 80s, and it had a tragic accident on the builders slip. A big box fell on it! He said he had one he was never going to build, and I could have it. I was really surprised when I got to his house and found out it was not the Matchbox version, but the new Revell Platinum edition with photoetched parts! This one will have to be radio controlled. Now, if I can just get lucky and find a free 1/32 Italeri Scnellboot!
comp_Revell-Flower-Class-Corvette-Deckelbild_zps1ed6f6ab.jpg

Mr. Speakeasy

One of the Regulars
Just picked up this shirt today along with a white shirt from around the 40s, but this one i thought was worth posting about. I think its from the 30's but I don't know enough about montgomery ward to know for sure.

tumblr_n78wmelh401qhhvpco1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n78wmelh401qhhvpco3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n78wmelh401qhhvpco2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n78wmelh401qhhvpco4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n78wmelh401qhhvpco5_1280.jpg

Mr. Speakeasy

One of the Regulars
heres a couple photos of all the stuff i found while thrifting within the past week.

tumblr_n78ym81aSj1qhhvpco1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n78ym81aSj1qhhvpco2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n78ym81aSj1qhhvpco3_1280.jpg

This lot includes a 30s fair isle sweatervest, one 1930s tie, one 1940s bowtie, two 1940s belts, two 1940s caps, the 1930s Montgomery Ward shirt I posted earlier, one 1940s tattered white shirt, and a 1960s button up sweatervest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24