Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I found this nicely mounted 24x31 print of Salvador Dali's 'Impressions of Africa' (1938) at the Goodwill. It's the second professionally mounted and framed Dali that I've found there. It cost me eight bucks. Having nearly no wall space left in my apartment to put it, I hung it in my bathroom. Now it will be the first thing I see when I step out of the shower...:confused:

dali-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
This is flea market stuff....so I hope it counts

IMG_0580-1.jpg

for 2 dollars, came with a bonus coverless copy of Pix magazine. Both 1941

IMG_0584-1.jpg

and

IMG_0585-1.jpg

were the splurges of the day, both for 15

IMG_0577.jpg

were each a dollar, as was

IMG_0579.jpg

which is a 'explains the human body to kids' book.

My last purchase gets a separate post...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
IMG_0575.jpg

was a dollar. Its 99.9% empty and thus perfect for the project I have in mind.

I went to Egypt on vacation a few years back, but most of my pictures of Luxor and nearby, are in an ex bf's possession....so I have -nothing- from that part of the trip.

A year or two ago, I found vintage souvenir photo sets of all the places I went, but they were taken in the late 40's or so.

So the idea is to recreate -my- vacation with vintage pictures and book, since I was rudely deprived of -my- actual pictures.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Neecerie, phenomenal find.

Today I did the Thrift Crawl on University Ave in Berkeley. I went to Goodwill, Salvation Army, the weird everything-for-$3 store, and Out of the Closet. As is often the case, the choice items were at the last joint. I found a pair of Stacy Adams booties that are essentially repro 1920s dress boots. The tag said size 11 and I usually wear a 12.5 or 13, but I remembered that Stacey Adams runs long, and I put them on - perfect fit. Normally I hate how shiny Stacey Adams stuff is, but these are scuffed and really quite cool. I had been contemplating plunking down serious money for a serious pair of dress boots, but this pair will hold me while I continue to think about that -- AND THEY WERE FIVE BUCKS. I also fingered all the ties; Out of the Closet generally has better ties than the horrid ones at my Goodwill and Salvation Army; my current theory is that it is because Out of the Closet is affiliated with AIDS research of some sort, and lots of gays work there and donate to it, and as one rarely sees gay men wearing horrid 1970s and nondescript 1980s wear it stands to reason that they don't donate such ugly stuff. I found a 1930s brown tie, absolutely perfect condition -- the best condition I have ever seen one in. And if it isn't 1930s, it's an exact replica: no lining, assymetrical fold, short, swollen narrow-end. One dollar.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Found this at a "barn sale" about a month ago. Before and after pics. "Citrate of Magnesia" is/was a laxative. I carefully opened it after I bought it with a pair of pliers I had in my car and emptied out the contents. It cleaned up very well by hand with just regular dish soap. It has a porcelain top that had a rubber seal that crumbled when I removed it, and an additional wax seal on the inside. I'm not sure when it dates from because the seam isn't one continuous seam. It runs up to the base of the neck, stops, moves about 1/4 inch over to the right, then continues up to the top. Before picture isn't very good because I just bought the camera and didn't realize I had it in the wrong mode. The third picture shows how the seam stops/starts again.

Brinybay

Practically Family
It pays to take a hike. One of my NY resolves is more exercise, so I go for a walk in the morning. Today I went a little farther to see if there were any breakfast places other than McD's. I spotted a second-hand store that I never noticed before, even though I've driven through that intersection umpteen times.

I went in and browsed around. I picked up a couple pairs of pants, one pair Farah's and another Chino's for $5 each. I also spotted this pair of shoes. I normally wear a size 8, and I assume the "85" on the inside means "8 1/2", but they seemed to fit ok and not too roomy, (the one pic shows me pointing to where the end of my big toe is while standing) but of course there wasn't a size 8 to compare them with. They were worn, but not too beat looking and only $5, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I looked them up on the Cole-Haan website, they go for $155 new. Cole Haan Caldwell

The right shoe has some scuff marks on the toe, and the left one has a small puncture wound, but other than that they don't seem to be none the worse for wear. I'm going to locate a good cobbler in the area and have them re-soled, polished and some new laces. Like I said, for $5 I'm not complaining.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Lately I have become addicted to Goodwill Ties. Depending on when I go, $1.00 to $0.50 each, and all I buy are the vintage ones, lots of '60s skinnier but a surprising amount of belly warmers from the '40s and '50s. I also like the Regimental Ties and have not been disappointed. I would think I have damn near 50 or 60 ties, maybe more. Here's the latest haul:

DSCF0973.jpg

The light colored belly-warmer is brand new with cardboard from the store on it yet. How much? $5.00 for the lot.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Miss Neecerie said:
IMG_0575.jpg

was a dollar. Its 99.9% empty and thus perfect for the project I have in mind.

I went to Egypt on vacation a few years back, but most of my pictures of Luxor and nearby, are in an ex bf's possession....so I have -nothing- from that part of the trip.

A year or two ago, I found vintage souvenir photo sets of all the places I went, but they were taken in the late 40's or so.

So the idea is to recreate -my- vacation with vintage pictures and book, since I was rudely deprived of -my- actual pictures.

:eek: :eek: :eek: I mean really. This is just gorgeous.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
I know! It makes me want to do crayon rubbings of the design for no reason at all...heheh...

I really -love- the Long Beach Flea Market...

that's soooo beautiful neecerie!

i really MISS the long beach flea market :(

Dr Doran

Trotsky said:
Lately I have become addicted to Goodwill Ties. Depending on when I go, $1.00 to $0.50 each, and all I buy are the vintage ones, lots of '60s skinnier but a surprising amount of belly warmers from the '40s and '50s. I also like the Regimental Ties and have not been disappointed. I would think I have damn near 50 or 60 ties, maybe more. Here's the latest haul:

DSCF0973.jpg

The light colored belly-warmer is brand new with cardboard from the store on it yet. How much? $5.00 for the lot.

The white one is merveilleux.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Trotsky said:

I, too, have recently become addicted to thrift store ties. Our local thrift store usually has a hundred or so on the racks and I've been buying several every time I go in (which is 3-4 times a week). I'll line a bunch of them up and post some photos tomorrow.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Doran said:
The white one is merveilleux.

It is, isn't it? It's also brand new with the cardboard slip on it yet. Nelson Cravats of California, I was shocked to find it, quite frankly. I'm glad you like it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo