Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Laura Chase

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
Hello Laura.

In all my posts, that's the first time I've read such a remark. I'm not cross about it, and I'll take your request under advisement. Personally, I have a computer and connection sufficient to breeze through opening large image intense pages - and I enjoy seeing other's photos at the large size so I can drink in the details. I don't come here to be in a stressful rush. I come here to enjoy myself.

All the best,

Gene

I'm glad you're not cross about it, and you surely don't have to listen to me, especially since I have no idea if you usually post large pictures (I don't take notice of who does it, just that it's done).

I love this thread and I love browsing it. I've just always thought that the best way to present things on the internet is to keep it to a simple 700 pixels width that is nicely viewed on all screens and easily loaded. Nothing to do with being in a "stressful rush".

Now, if I want to show a high resolution pic, which is sometimes really nice and necessary (to drink in the details, as you say, and I totally agree), I'll just link to it. For example, this is one of my thrift sale finds, an umbrella. If you click on it you can view it in very large resolution:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
18th - 19th

BeBopBaby said:
A ladies toilet is an old-fashioned term referring to the process of a woman preparing her hair, putting on make-up and getting dressed. Similar to they way toilet water got it's name, I'd say these pins got their name. I would say these slightly fancier pins were meant for fastening clothing, pinning scarves, corsages, tacking trim on a hat, etc., as opposed to being meant for sewing. They look to be late 18th century, early 19th century to me. I bet the heads of the pins are also glass.
I assume you mean late 19th century (1800's) or early 20th century (1900's). ;)

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Rachael said:
I picked up this vintage purse a few months back. At the time, I was surprised to find a large stack of old photos inside. This evening, I was cleaning out the pile of stuff I never use, and took a closer look. In addition to the photos, I found several pay stubs dated 1959 from Western Wirebound Box Co. A quick internet search let me to a Union suit against that company in 1961.

With all of this information (and her name and SSN) I can almost picture this woman's life. Her name is Vena Q Thompson, she was married to a GI who was stationed in the Pacific, she had a son with blonde hair, she was involved a member of the IWW. Now if only I know which of the women in the pictures she is. I would dearly love to find out if she or her family is still around to return at least the wedding photos.

Enjoy!
SCAN0001.jpg

SCAN0002.jpg

SCAN0003.jpg

SCAN0004.jpg

PICT0808-1.jpg

An avid wobby supporter myself, I would just like to say this is one amazing find!

(And might I suggest picking up a copy of The Rambling Kid? Great book, wobbly related autobiographical "fiction".)

Brinybay

Practically Family
Vintage chair

My day off today, raining and crappy out (typical NW November weather, but I'm not complaining). After going to breakfast with a friend, I went to check out a St. Vincent De Paul's store I've never visited.

Just when I was about to give up, I spotted this chair:

There are some markings on the bottom, but I'm not quite sure what they mean except for the word "Oak". I want to believe that "9-49" is the month/year it was made, but I'm not sure. It needs some minor attention as seen in the rest of the pictures. The knob on the left side is frozen, but I'm sure some Liquid Wrench and WD-40 will take care of that. There's another knob on the bottom over to the right that I'm able to turn, but I'm not sure what either one does. The back tilts back, so I assume one of them is to adjust the tension on it, and the other perhaps the height. The seat has some minor free-play from side to side, but only about in inch, and about two inch free-play forward and back. It's just the right height to use for my computer chair.

The store just so happened to be having a "power hour" on furniture, 30% off. Not a bad find for $5.32, including tax.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Foofoogal said:
what a nice find Brinybay. I would also say the 49 is more than likely the year also.

Thanks. The knob on the right underside I've discovered adjusts the angle of the back. There is a third knob in the center directly over the spring which is also frozen, but I assume that is for the spring tension. Still not sure what the one on the left is for.

Now that I've sat in it some, I've discovered the free play/wobble is more noticeable with my carcass sitting in it, making it rather annoying. Looking at the mechanics of the underside, disassembly looks a little foreboding, but only because it looks like I'll need a special tool to get the leg assembly off. But I like the looks of this chair enough to give it a shot. Any furniture experts out there?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nothing too special, but I went to the crappiest thrift store looking for bread tins, fully expecting to find the modern crappy ones, and came across these:

IMG_0468.jpg

The casserole dish has its lid as well.

IMG_0467.jpg

Also found this Pyrex measuring cup. Total, $4.97 :)

LD

nico demouse

Familiar Face
Lady Day said:
Nothing too special, but I went to the crappiest thrift store looking for bread tins, fully expecting to find the modern crappy ones, and came across these:

IMG_0468.jpg

The casserole dish has its lid as well.

IMG_0467.jpg

Also found this Pyrex measuring cup. Total, $4.97 :)

LD

Good find! I love old glassware!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got this for $0.45 today at the Salvation Army.
It's of the Pictou Lighthouse, Pictou, Nova Scotia.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

It goes nicely with my other one. I need to find a frame for it.
IMG_0323.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Of course....

Right after the guests all leave....I find a bigger sofa.....

IMG_0917.jpg

Pardon the mess...I had to move things in circles to get it in the house....

not old...but shaped decently and long enough to nap on...(which was the issue with the free loveseat I have)

50 bucks at an 'Out of the Closet' store.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I also got this....

Anyone know if this is -really- his autograph?

IMG_0921.jpg

Its a shellac record...although not 78....and the writing is definitely in -real- ink and not any sort of printed on thing.

The other side is "Stormy Weather"

Brinybay

Practically Family
Does Mom's garage count? She's been slowly giving away items she has packed. When I was down there last, I was helping her move some stuff and I found these. I remember we gave them to her as a present in the late 60s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran