Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Tommy

One of the Regulars
I sometimes use a safety pin to attach the short tail to the back of the tie. You can conceal the 'pin in the folds of the tail.

That's what I'm talking about, and the answer to my question lies in that direction. I use an occasional tie tack or bar, and I have nothing against them, but most of the time just prefer not to use them.

Aesthetically, when there is only 1"-4" left of the tie's tail, I don't think pins and bars that close to the knot look right on me (I'm 6' - 2-1/2"tall).

Tommy

One of the Regulars
Here's a recent acquisition, never heard of the company before.

Artistic Neckwear Manufacturing Company. A Baltimore company listed as early as 1907 Men's Wear trade journal, even 1890's elsewhere, and as late as 1960.

This tie is 46" in length, called the Super "Ruffle", 20% wool, 80% Rayon. It's has a coarse feel to it, unlike all my other ties.
artisticneckwear.jpg

artisticneckweartagface.jpg

artisticneckwearbacktag.jpg

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Here's a recent acquisition, never heard of the company before.

Artistic Neckwear Manufacturing Company. A Baltimore company listed as early as 1907 Men's Wear trade journal, even 1890's elsewhere, and as late as 1960.

This tie is 46" in length, called the Super "Ruffle", 20% wool, 80% Rayon. It's has a coarse feel to it, unlike all my other ties.
artisticneckwear.jpg

artisticneckweartagface.jpg

artisticneckwearbacktag.jpg

I'm guessing WWII. What say ye?

Tommy

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't be surprised if this tie is earlier than that. Maybe 20's-30's? Its a great tie.
I hesitate saying any of my ties are that old, but this one does have a totally different feel in the fabric from anything else I have. My gut says it's early 30's, but the tag suggests very late 30's, early forties. The material difference I notice may have something to do with war effort rationing.

^^True about the war-rationing aspect.

From today: Square-bottomed Trimshape by Cavalier of Louisville, with "Locked in Construction." c.mid'-50s, likely acetate/rayon, odd plum/maroon color.

Photoon2011-11-25at1016.jpg
Photoon2011-11-25at1018.jpg

I was watching The Fury of the Wolfman last night and one of the actors had a thin tie like that on. In fact, most of the actors had thin ties and it was made in 1972!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic