Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Inspired by this thread, I stopped by my neighborhood Salvation Army thrift store, just to see if I'd get lucky.

Ugh. Nothing older than the sixties, and not a single tie I'd be caught dead wearing.

I'm convinced that thrift store employees and volunteers in NYC know their stuff, and the good vintage ties never make it to the rack.

I've said it before, but the idea that $5.99 is a high price to pay for a quality tie from the 1930s or '40s is just mind-boggling for this New Yorker. Here in the Big Apple, such a price would be a outright steal. Anything under $20 is a bargain.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I know that there aren't many fans of 1950s British terylene ties on the forum, but I like them and I'm going to keep posting them.

Here's the latest, made for John Little and Co (Singapore & Kuala Lumpur)in a fabric by 'Linosair(?):

britishterylene.jpg

Britishterylenelabel.jpg

britishterylenedetail.jpg

britishterylene-label2.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
East German Ties:

A few weeks ago I posted some photographs of a batch of ties I had bought that needed to be washed and pressed. i have started working through them and am rather enjoying bringing these old ties back to life:

IMG_1783.jpg

I knew most of them were German, what i have since discovered is that a number are actually East German. Most likely dating from the 1950s. The company was called Juwel and some of them are actually silk. The label has the word VEB on it which is apparently means' Volkseigener Betrieb' (an enterprise owned by the people).

As someone who studied the history of Eastern Europe at University, I was rather pleased to find these unusual vintage ties. Here are the first ones:

Juwel1.jpg

juwel1label.jpg

juwel1detail.jpg

juwel2.jpg

juwel2label.jpg

juwel2detail.jpg

juwel3.jpg

juwel3label.jpg

juwel3detail.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
I've said it before, but the idea that $5.99 is a high price to pay for a quality tie from the 1930s or '40s is just mind-boggling for this New Yorker. Here in the Big Apple, such a price would be a outright steal. Anything under $20 is a bargain.
While I am very guilty of hunting for bargains I agree with this. All things considered 20 bucks is not bad for a vintage tie.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Two Types...these are GDR ties? Seriously? I would have thought they are older. What about the lenght? Are they as long as your other 50s ties? Maybe they were deadstock and the labels were applied later.

PS: Ok...the pattern are very symmetrical. Maybe that's typical for 50s too.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Haha. Now you are smiling :D

The thing is: I try to focus on one era and now I have to learn about the others too...just to avoid them. Fifties fashion is great when it still looks like 40s fashion. Otherwise I don't like it.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Two Types...these are GDR ties? Seriously? I would have thought they are older. What about the lenght? Are they as long as your other 50s ties? Maybe they were deadstock and the labels were applied later.

PS: Ok...the pattern are very symmetrical. Maybe that's typical for 50s too.

I checked the length, they are all around 49 inches. Others in the same batch are around 45/46 inches and softer in construction (with much thinner inner linings), thus appearing to be earlier. If you are interested in getting some earlier German ties, I do have some that will be for sale. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here are some more of my German ties:

this one has an odd texture:
azetat.jpg

azetatdetail.jpg

azetatlabel.jpg

By 'Bemberg', this one has a very Christmassy feel (silver with red and green markings):
bemberg.jpg

bemberglabel.jpg

There are no labels on this one and it appears to have maybe been homemade:
homemade.jpg

homemadedetail.jpg

I love knitted ties. This one is no exception:
purpleknit.jpg

purpleknitdetail.jpg

purpleknitlabel.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
More German ties:

This one tells me nothing except that it is made from Rhodiafil, which is (I believe) some form of Celanese acetate?
rhodiafil2.jpg

rhodiafil2label.jpg

rhodiafildetail2.jpg

this is another made from Rhodiafil, this time made for 'Schreiber' in franfurt am Main:
rhodiafil.jpg

rhodiafillabel.jpg

rhodiafildetail.jpg

This tie is almost certainly home-made. It is only roughly the correct shape for a tie and has no lining and no label. That said, i couldn't resist the pattern and the colour. I'm not sure I'll actually ever wear it. My guess is that it is from post-war Germany when times were really tough for so many people.
veryhomemade.jpg

veryhomemadedetail.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou