Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Went over to Salvation Army this morning, and I looked at their ties. It was not a large selection, and most of what was to be found was wide 4 inch modern ties, or ones made during the 1980s or '90s. Maybe a few '70s ties. I think I recall seeing one vintage tie, one that I figure may have been from the late 1950s or '60s, being narrow. It was a mid-grey tie with black stripes. I thought it was narrower than I'd care to wear in a tie (2 inches wide, 54 inches length), so I passed it up. Maybe I'll give those types of ties a try some day, but I expect about 3 inches to be my standard, perhaps no less than 2 1/2 and no more than 3 1/2.

Also, I'm still dead-set on ordering a custom from Sam Hober. I hear he makes very good quality ties for the price, and I'm after a rare style (midnight blue grenadine) that would otherwise be sold too wide and too long for my liking.

Last edited:

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
The tie for the day is:
$T2eC16RHJFoE9nh6nwY4BQMms32kg!~~60_57.JPG

This one really turns me on!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well, no sooner than I knocked very thin ties that I found one I like. It happens to belong to my grandfather (who probably hasn't worn it since the 1970s, as I noticed it in a few early '70s photos of the family), and he might have bought it in Croatia before immigrating to the United States in 1970. In pictures of him wearing it, he wore it with a brown 3-button suit with narrow lapels (it wouldn't fit me, and it felt very thick).

The maroon/oxblood tie with a yellow stripe is 2 1/2 inches with an asymmetrical bottom, made by Trevira (it's polyester), likely bought in Croatia.

IMG_0615.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Maybe I should try a wider knot than a four-in-hand, as I originally found it with a wide knot, but the tie was short. I tied it so that it's long enough to reach down to where the pants end. It's about 52 inches in length.

Well, no sooner than I knocked very thin ties that I found one I like. It happens to belong to my grandfather (who probably hasn't worn it since the 1970s, as I noticed it in a few early '70s photos of the family), and he might have bought it in Croatia before immigrating to the United States in 1970. In pictures of him wearing it, he wore it with a brown 3-button suit with narrow lapels (it wouldn't fit me, and it felt very thick).

The maroon/oxblood tie with a yellow stripe is 2 1/2 inches with an asymmetrical bottom, made by Trevira (it's polyester), likely bought in Croatia.

IMG_0615.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Maybe I should try a wider knot than a four-in-hand, as I originally found it with a wide knot, but the tie was short. I tied it so that it's long enough to reach down to where the pants end. It's about 52 inches in length.

Looks like a decent pattern and definitely not the more minimalistic patterns that were more prevalent. Trevira is a fabric company, in Germany I think, that made polyester material that was flame retardant. It was likely bought overseas but there were avenues to get them here. It was likely made between 1955 and 1965.
I suppose you could tie a half windsor with the tie but it would suck up length. If you leave a short stub of the back blade when you tie it though, it will likely tie long enough for what you want to wear it with.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
This is the only one I've ever found from the Georges Schreiber 'Panorama of America' series by Raxon, but also labeled 'Superba Matterhorn.' I'm sure somewhere someone has all 48. Although not indicated which state this one represents I'm guessing it's Pennsylvania by the use of the Liberty Bell...besides an underside label says: 'Roemmel Myers of Carbondale, Pa'

pennstate.jpg
[/IMG]

This is the only one I've ever found from the Georges Schreiber 'Panorama of America' series by Raxon, but also labeled 'Superba Matterhorn.' I'm sure somewhere someone has all 48. Although not indicated which state this one represents I'm guessing it's Pennsylvania by the use of the Liberty Bell...besides an underside label says: 'Roemmel Myers of Carbondale, Pa'

pennstate.jpg
[/IMG]

That is a great one! Good find. I wonder what the others look like. Raxon was a small brand but Superba certainly wasn't. :p
I really have to get pictures of some ties I got in. I bought that lot of vintage ties but the seller threw in another 20 more modern ties. There was a Barbie tie int here. Men wear Barbie ties?!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
That is a great one! Good find. I wonder what the others look like. Raxon was a small brand but Superba certainly wasn't. :p
I really have to get pictures of some ties I got in. I bought that lot of vintage ties but the seller threw in another 20 more modern ties. There was a Barbie tie int here. Men wear Barbie ties?!

Here's a link from the K.N.O.T. website that shows quite a few. You have to guess the states, though...

http://nastyoldties.com/gary.html

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

pennstate.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks like PA alright...Nice one.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I had a bit of luck last week. I bid on some old ties on Ebay. They are all in need of a good clean and one is a touch frayed (but will be ok under a waistcoat). At a guess i would say they are all pre-1950, some might be 1930s (difficult to say - i don't really know enough about British ties).

The best bit - the most expensive was £1.20. The rest of them were £0.01 each!!

That has to be a good deal.

This is a 'WP Product'. the label is very, very stiff. i have never heard of the company:
IMG_2537.jpg

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

This has no label:
IMG_2534.jpg

this one is a 'Regalaire' tie. Again, i have never heard of the company. i suspect this might be the most modern of the batch:

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2532.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg

Tootal 'Standard Quality' (i.e. pre 1953)

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
A couple of recent buys:

this is a Tootal 'standard quality'. My wife found it on the floor in the dining room. i have absolutely no idea where on when i bought it!
IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2514.jpg

Tootal 'Black Quality' (post 1953)
IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

1950s, British, celanese
IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_2517.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

Annixter

Practically Family
This is the only one I've ever found from the Georges Schreiber 'Panorama of America' series by Raxon, but also labeled 'Superba Matterhorn.'

That's an excellent tie. The linked page with 45 of the ties is pretty amazing, although most of them are ambiguous (i.e. which state does the rooster tie represent?) Out of them all, I would love to have the iron smelting tie (5th row). I'm guessing Wisconsin or maybe Ohio since there's an automobile tie which I assume is Michigan?

Tootal 'Black Quality' (post 1953) . . . 1950s, British, celanese
Very nice indeed!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Some nice ties since I've seen this thread.

Anyway, thanks. I like that maroon striped tie, personal reasons aside, I like the design, the asymmetrical bottom's growing on me. Now I'm wondering if I wear it at the next family party, anyone will recognize it as being my Grandfather's. I will likely find myself reaching for it quite a bit when the semester starts. It goes nicely with my suit jacket's 2.5 inch lapels, and I think it would be good for sweaters. Any recommendations on ironing a tie? I've never done it before, and I don't intend to destroy one. I might try it on one of my very wrinkled wide ties first.

Are there any pictures of other Trevira ties in your collections if you have any? I guess they are a German company, but I'm not sure if they make ties anymore either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit