Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I was at a thrift shop in Riverside CA found 51 mint condition 1940s ties for $2 each. I bought them all. Some have the original tags NOS. I wonder what the history is behind them and, why someone donated them all to the thrift store. Told my wife at least they are going to a good home now.

Great find, Dave. I've ventured upon a large group of vintage ties twice in thrift stores, but never all in mint condition. Do post them!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
a recent acquisition

Great design.

And the Tie of the Day is:
$(KGrHqQOKo0FH,d4zjjMBR7JJUrV)g~~60_3.JPG
$(KGrHqVHJBkFHJ74iinDBR7HrokGSw~~60_57.JPG
Much better than the boring striped Palm Beach Ties. :clap:

I agree; much better.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^My father went along with necktie fashion until about the late-70s; from then on, he mostly went back to wearing thin ties for the next 25 years...I also have a DB suit that he bought after coming back from WWII, and a Bold Look sport coat of his, now both tailored to fit (a taller) me.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Originally Posted by The Good
Nice ties, although it's too bad about that threadbare one! Right now, I tend to go for plainer ties in general. Here are my latest purchases. I'm not sure as to their true decades of origin.

Solid red wool tie, listed as 1930s or '40s:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231012997190

No period given, but it is a vintage Tootal bow tie:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370847629089
The solid red one is almost certainly 50s. More difficult to tell with the bowtie …

So 1950s? I would be interested in knowing how you made that connection. Is the tag the biggest clue, here, or is it in the width/length and stitching? I have a black wool tie that is very similar to this one, except U.S. Navy issued as part of a dress uniform. That one is supposed to be 1950s, as well.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
So 1950s? I would be interested in knowing how you made that connection. Is the tag the biggest clue, here, or is it in the width/length and stitching? I have a black wool tie that is very similar to this one, except U.S. Navy issued as part of a dress uniform. That one is supposed to be 1950s, as well.

I think the Baron is correct on this one, based on the stitching and label. To my knowledge, Wembley did not start with its famous "Wear With" label until the early-'50s.

^^My father went along with necktie fashion until about the late-70s; from then on, he mostly went back to wearing thin ties for the next 25 years...I also have a DB suit that he bought after coming back from WWII, and a Bold Look sport coat of his, now both tailored to fit (a taller) me.
After the late 70s the thin tie came back so much so that Pierre Cardin was putting out thin ties under his 1955 label. lol lol I never bought one but I have seen them. :p

Like Widebrim, for me it was the "wear with" and the font of "Wembleytown" (and the name "Wembleytown", tbh) that placed it in the 50s. It'll be a nice tie. Wembley were still producing high quality product in the early 50s.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thanks to both Baron and Widebrim for clearing it up! I'm sure it'll be frequently worn, and I may come to like bow ties more and more. I had thought that I wouldn't know until I tried it. I think there is also a Tootal thread on this forum, as well.

DamianM

Vendor
^^Where did you find it, Damian?

Every once in a while I scourge through endless pages on ebay searching for neckties.
no specific search just, neckties. and I find a piece or two with really low BIN prices or no bids. because there is no specification, its just a random necktie. But i know it isn't.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Every once in a while I scourge through endless pages on ebay searching for neckties.
no specific search just, neckties. and I find a piece or two with really low BIN prices or no bids. because there is no specification, its just a random necktie. But i know it isn't.

Hey, it works sometimes. I bought a specific lot of ties once not just because it was going for a low bid, but also due to the fact that I noticed a NY World's Fair tie in the bunch, an embroidered rarity which I figured was worth something--and it is...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters