Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your True Colors: Regimental, School, Club, Fraternity & other Prestige Ties

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I suspect this might be of limited interest, and possibly dominated by U.K. Loungers, but I thought it might be fun to have a thread to display prestige ties. So let's see your regimental, school, club, fraternity and other prestige ties.

I'll get started with two prestige ties which I am entitled to wear. On the left is my University of San Francisco school tie (my diploma and a super cool 1931 USF yearbook I bought on eBay of all places can also bee seen). On the right is the tie for an honors society to which I was inducted as an undergrad.

I have a few vintage school ties which I'll post when I get a chance this weekend.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
These are all my personal ties:

L-R:

150th Anniversary school tie.
Senior school tie.
Leaving Year tie.
Alumni tie.

...I do also have the regular school tie...somewhere. In storage. Couldn't be bothered digging it out just for this shot.

Also, the school cufflinks:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The trouble with club/society/regimental ties etc is that I don't like the idea of wearing them unless I have the right to wear them. And I've never really been a member of anything that i am that proud of: My school? No. London University? No. I've never done military service, attended a private school or been a member of a sports club.
Even if I see nice old silk ties that appear to be club/regimental etc, I don't buy them. i wouldn't want anyone to think I was a charlatan.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I saw an English university tie at a shop here in Melbourne, once. I think it was for...Oxford or Cambridge. One of the big schools.

*Edit*

Having had a look at a few ties online, I think it was an Oxford tie.

How it ever made it halfway around the world is a mystery for anyone to solve.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
No mystery really: British universities are incredibly popular with foreign students. Thus, no surprise to find their ties all over the world.

Edward

Bartender
The trouble with club/society/regimental ties etc is that I don't like the idea of wearing them unless I have the right to wear them. And I've never really been a member of anything that i am that proud of: My school? No. London University? No. I've never done military service, attended a private school or been a member of a sports club.
Even if I see nice old silk ties that appear to be club/regimental etc, I don't buy them. i wouldn't want anyone to think I was a charlatan.

No NSC tie lurking in your wardrobe? I'm surprised!

No mystery really: British universities are incredibly popular with foreign students. Thus, no surprise to find their ties all over the world.

Most of them also have giftshops... I'm not honestly sure how strict they are (or, practically speaking, can be) about ensuring no Walters managed to buy a graduate tie to which they are not technically entitled.

I have notice Queen's in Belfast has a graduate bow tie on their website. I've never gotten around, though, to check if it's a real bow tie or one of those nasty, pre-tied novelty efforts. If the former I would definitely like one. I must try and get to the gift shop sometime when it's open (I'm typically only over for Christmas these days, and they're closed then). Or I could phone them, but I hate telephoning anywhere if it can be avoided.

Cobden

Practically Family
Here are mine. The one on the left is my "Old Boys" tie, the one on the right is the tie for my re-enactment society, which I designed (the wrong way stripes are intentional, as the colours - though not the badge and the proportions - are the same as the regimental tie for the regiment we portray. Designed to prevent false flag accusations)

Cobden

Practically Family
Yes; we portray the Essex regiment, whose predecessor (2nd Battalion, 44th Foot) captured a French Imperial Eagle at Salamanca.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy