Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage (edited from "sap") sappy love letters!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Kishtu said:
Dearest Locktown...

Seeing your face has brightened my day.

Oh all right seeing your post has brightened my day. With your avatar. And I'm sure there's the hint of a smile under the shadow of that hat.

That do you for a start? lol

That'll do. :D There's a bit of that warm and fuzzy feeling again.

Richard

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
William & Sarah

France 1916
Letter transcribed from Lt.William Bradley to his wife Sarah in Ireland just prior to the Somme offensive against the German front.

My dearest Sarah,

As I pen this letter to you, the boys are preparing to go over the top at first light. Be reassured my darling that the thought of you waiting for me by our fireside at home gives me the strength and lifts my spirits to carry on and do my duty.

My sweetness, my heart is overflowing with love for you. I miss you desperately and wish for the day when we can once again be together without ever parting. My dearest, I care for you with all my heart. I adore you with all my breath. I have cherished and adored all that you have shared with me, I cherish the gentle touch of your hands, your warm hugs, those lovely eyes of yours that I would willingly drown in, the sweet perfume of your hair and skin and just the simple thrill of holding your hand and knowing that you are mine.

This thought always makes me smile. Do you remember Sarah, that evening after the music hall, when you stopped in Graften Street, turned and asked me, "What are your intentions?". Do you remember my answer sweetness? I boldly stated, without hesitation, "My intention is to marry you!". I was never shy with you. My goal was the love of a lifetime and a lifetime of love together. That is not much to ask is it?
When this war is over I will get to share that life with you that we spoke of and realise all our dreams together. Just you, me and our darling creation, our beloved daughter Emily.

As I look around me in the light of the lamps, I long to swim in the warm, gentle sea of your love, to be surrounded by it, to be enveloped in it, to draw strength from it. I long to hold you close and be one with you and never let you go. I long to hold you close to me, taste your tears, feel your heart beat next to mine and know such warmth and comfort when I am safely in your arms. I am relaxed and content when we sit on the couch and talk for hours, or when we play with Emily and the fire warms your cheeks and you glow like the most beautiful sunset. My heart is so at peace when we are together, you make me feel that I could conquer anything Sarah, that your healing heart will cure any wounds in life I endure. We have a lifetime of love to share my darling, just you wait and see.

You know all this to be true, my true darling Sarah. My heart is only satisfied when I am holding you in my arms my love. I have loved loving you and being loved by you. I cherish you my darling Sarah, and will be with you always and forever.

In this darkness, you are my firelight filling me with the warmth of your love and offering a beacon of hope for me to follow. I will follow your light to the end.

I love you both my angels ever so much and will be with you soon.

Your loving and most devoted husband.

Until the day we can be together once again, never to be parted my darling.

William.

the_Somme.jpg

William & Sarah were never to be together again (in life).

This young man was killed leading the first assault wave on July 1st 1916 with the Royal Ulster Rifles. He was awarded the Military Cross. His body was never recovered.
Sarah never got over the trauma of the knock on their door and receiving the cold telegram. William's loss destroyed this beautiful and loving woman and she never remarried. She was devoted to 'her William' until she died in 1993. Her headstone simply states, "Returning to your arms again my love..."
Daughter Emily grew up to be a beautiful young woman that her daddy would have been proud of and no doubt he smiled down on her like the loving glow of the fireplace on 'his beautiful Sarah's' face...

William and Sarah are once again in each other's arms, forever young and never to be parted

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
of course you have, Paddy.

It reminds me of the letter, famous now on this side, written by Sullivan Ballou to his wife Sarah on the eve of the First Battle of Bull Run. Very similar text, and he was also never to return to his hearth and home.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
Have I posted the above letter in the most suitable/appropriate place?

Paddy, thank you for posting this beautiful letter. This is exactly what I was hoping people would share.

Any other lovely letters out there?

(No more silly/punny posts, please.Thank you.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy