Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage hats!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Vintage betty. I think I know what you mean, not that I'd mind seeing pics. I am assuming I'll need a hat pin to keep it perched on the back of my head.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
olive bleu said:
ok.what is the correct way to measure my noggin for hat size? I am another one with a huge head and have pretty much stopped looking for the past few years. I used to have a small collection, got stored in a friends basement..got water damage...no more hats. Every once in a blue moon, i will try some on, but they're about the right size for my kneecap.And i get discouraged. I have never tried bidding on any , or buying online because I have no idea what size I am. I know there is probably something here already on this.Help?

http://vintagesewing.info/1950s/52-hmh/hmh-013.html
You can also try non headsize hats which are alot of fun to wear and can be really cute and whimsical.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hattage

Brown felt and fox 30s:
l_508dd5e7a440c2f53460790e28853117.jpg

Black velvet and transparent black straw 30s:
l_366ffdd5283df200e416591a03c1127e.jpg

Just a beginning... there must be more pictures!

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
OOOoooo Miss1929 that 30s hat is amazing!

It's been so long since I've shared anything so here's a cute 40s butterfly hat I picked up this summer.

2739083011_a85fe64841.jpg

mackenzie

Familiar Face
Sunny said:
I certainly would wear more hats if they were easier to find in my size. I think I'm 22 1/2, Lizzie. What I do know is just set up an ebay search for "23". That way I don't eat my heart out over all the darling size 21's out there, or spend a huge amount of time asking sellers to post (often dubious) measurements. I recently just scored with this lovely Czech velour number. It's definitely not 1960s; I think it's late 1930s or early 1940s. It has an elastic cord to go around the hair, too. Size 23 and a wee bit loose, but I wear front rolls every day and I'd rather have the extra room.

blvlvv4.jpg

Of course, I'm super picky about hat style, too. What I want (and can afford) simply doesn't show up often in any size.

I don't wear hats and I don't know much about them. I wonder what you call this style, would like to get something like this for winter. Any ideas where I can get one? repro will do just fine. thanks

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
MaryDeluxe said:
OOOoooo Miss1929 that 30s hat is amazing!

It's been so long since I've shared anything so here's a cute 40s butterfly hat I picked up this summer.

2739083011_a85fe64841.jpg
\

That is sooo adorable... I love the look of hats.. but have no idea how they would look on me..

I think I will head to the next estate sale and see if I can find one :eusa_doh: :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
LelaViavonie said:
That is sooo adorable... I love the look of hats.. but have no idea how they would look on me..

I think I will head to the next estate sale and see if I can find one :eusa_doh: :)

Actually, if you want to find out what hat styles work for you, you might have better luck trying a vintage clothing store first. This will let you try on lots of styles, and then you'll know what you want to look for at estate sales, on ebay etc. Most estate sales I've seen only have a few hats at most, and often all similar styles (because that's what looked good on that lady...). While not as cost effective, a vintage clothing store would give you more choices for shopping. And if the prices are outrageous, you can always look at the price tag sigh and put it back. ;)

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
How to make?

deadpandiva said:
I love hats. I'm not sure if I can pull them off but I have been buying them just the same.

I made this one. It's insane so I don't wear it in public.
Picture774.jpg

Picture689.jpg

I made this one for a friend last Christmas
Picture686.jpg

I have some nice ones but no pictures I'm afraid.

I ABSOLUTELY love your second and third hats in these pics. I would love to make some for myself. Can you tell me how you made them? I would really like to know. Thank you in advance.
Sarah

Mojito

One Too Many
texasgirl said:
That's fantastic, Texasgirl! I nearly bought it as well - it's such a lovely rich colour. I went for the navy and ivory capeline and the bicorn toque instead as they matched outfits I already have and the burgandy hat wouldn't have fit my head so I'd have had to give it to a friend, but I'm so pleased that the it went to the best home!

Cricket

Practically Family
I wear hats a lot because they are my weakness. But now I am so glad that is starting to get chilly again. I can pull all my winter hats out.
Lovely hats ladies! As always, classy and beautiful.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
newtovintage said:
I ABSOLUTELY love your second and third hats in these pics. I would love to make some for myself. Can you tell me how you made them? I would really like to know. Thank you in advance.
Sarah
I didn't make the second one, but It could be made with a hat block and a wool hood. I made the bottom one from a retro pattern. I think it's geared towards theater costumers.
http://www.hatsupply.com/hat_patterns.htm
It's number 127.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Mojito said:
That's fantastic, Texasgirl! I nearly bought it as well - it's such a lovely rich colour. I went for the navy and ivory capeline and the bicorn toque instead as they matched outfits I already have and the burgandy hat wouldn't have fit my head so I'd have had to give it to a friend, but I'm so pleased that the it went to the best home!

Thanks Mojito! Yours sound lovely too-pictures? Are they from Vintage Martini too? I saw the red one in his shop, but I didn't have anything red. But I kept thinking about it-lol. So I got online, and I found something I think will be perfect. Sometimes the hat just has to come first-lol.

Mojito

One Too Many
Yes, I grabbed them online when Vintage Martini started their recent 40% off sale (along with a rust coloured 30s dress).

That red hat is *definitely* worth building an outfit around!

Here's a new one - the photo cracks me up, as there's a fold set in right down the middle that makes it sit very high and gives me an absolute egg-shaped head! Can't wait to steam it out, but for the moment it's a crack up (this is not what I'd wear it with, of course - it was plonked on my head when I arrived home from work and found the package):

DSC00952.jpg

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lovely hats ladies!

Since I went into storage recently, I grabbed some hats to photograph. Sorry if some of the photos are blurry. All black hats are actually very dark black, I have lightened the photos to see the details

I'll add detailed descriptions when I get some time.

Cheers-

Vintage Betty

Crepe Mourning Hat

victorian1a.JPG
victorian1b.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters