Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show your more "exotic" origin garments

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
A place to gather and showcase the more "exotic origin" garments (suits, jackets, pants, coats, shirts etc.) from the 1900-1960s (some may have been posted before in other context).

Everything with an origin outside N-America, Britain, Central/Western-Europe is welcome... whether from Asia, Africa, Latin America, Oceania, Eastern/Southeastern-Europe and Southern Europe (except Italy).

I think this will be educating and fun! ;)

I start off with two items:

1. A Greek sports coat, likely 1940-50's, which metatron sold to me:

Greek1.jpg

Greek2.jpg

2. An early 1920's silk jacket tailored in Malta (sold some time ago):

Malta.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Deadstock Bulgarian Ski/Peg-Trousers with inward pleats, fob pocket and lovely colorful striped lining:

SAM_4581a.jpg

SAM_4583.jpg

SAM_4585.jpg

SAM_4586.jpg

I will wear them in Winter with ankle boots, maybe with turned stockings... the legs are too tapered for turning them into plus fours.

Still a lovely and well-crafted garment. What is the name for this fabric? It's like a very thick, woolen "spongy/fluffy" version of "Cavalry twill" with flat "cords". The left side is smooth.

Cheers

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
A most exotic gem and just in time for summer:

A bright white double-breasted cotton twill jacket made in Tahiti by "Yat Lee" for a French official. :cool:

SAM_4587.jpg

SAM_4599.jpg

Excellent condition - certainly Mid to late 30's. The tailoring art on Tahiti of course was of the French variety.

I really should make a pair of slacks from matching white cotton twill. Fortunately no problem to find the appropriate fabric for this one. ;)

SAM_4593.jpg

SAM_4598.jpg

SAM_4601.jpg

A newspaper advertisement for "Yat Lee" from September 1930:

YAT-LEE1691930.png

Found also a reference to "Yat Lee" on this website dedicated to the diary of a LDS missionary on Tahiti islands from 1938-1940:

http://myweb.cableone.net/leolani/Tahiti.html

Monday, May 29, 1939
[...] Upon returning to the house we ate dinner and then went to town, where I ordered a shirt from Yat Lee.
Source: http://myweb.cableone.net/leolani/06 Huahine.html

In the diary there are also several photos of such white suits:

http://myweb.cableone.net/leolani/Tahiti_files/40e.jpg
http://myweb.cableone.net/leolani/Tahiti_files/02a.jpg

Best Wishes!

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
They are the LDS missionary team 1939-40.

-

White suits of various cuts was apparently almost default clothing on Tahiti, whether locals, French officials or other foreigners/visitors. The individuality can still be expressed through the jacket cut, tie and shirt I suppose. :D

14b.jpg

Visit of the Governor 1938

15i.jpg

Some nice slacks and ties on these schoolboys:

17a.jpg

Really some great photos to be found at this "Rutena in Tahiti" diary...

@TT

No labels on the Bulgarian trousers - just the pencil letters shown.

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Fastuni,

Great items and the photographs to go with them. The photos are naturally very similar to photos taken at the same time here in Hawaii. Unfortunately, I've never found specific information about tailors here in Honolulu from the time period.

Edward

Bartender
THat white jacket makes me think "Scaramanga" - in a good way, mind. Christopher Lee. :)

It's a khaki olive colour with darker olive overstripe chevrons. I wish it wasn't so bloody big!

Baron big or Marlowe big?? Gorgeous cloth.... I had a pair of jeans in a similar patter (except grey) some years back. I'd adore a couple of Summer suits run up in a good stout canvas with that look to it...

Well, the Spanish suit has a big jacket, big waist and very short leg. A weird size.

For this thread, I'm going to photograph a jacket from Suva, Fiji over the weekend. the company was liquidated in 1933, so the jacket is certainly early 30s or late 20s. By style, I'd guess early 30s, but I haven't looked at it for a while. Very British construction, style, etc. Need to study the shoulder seams.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I once owned a very "English" brown linen sport coat from the 40s, but it was made in the Bahamas. The address of the tailor was in Nassau, if I remember correctly. I sold it to a fellow FLounger, DrDoran. Perhaps he'll post a picture of it . . .

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Bermuda

this is a bit different to those lovely, lightweight, summer suits:

camelcoat.jpg

camelcoatlabel.jpg

The coat is very soft, light, but very warm.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Cream seems to be the trend here.

This one is a perfect fit for me, wore it with some gray flannel trousers and a pink late-1950s tie the other day. Thickest and softest flannel I've ever seen. The top button is 'double sided', don't know the exact name for it.

001-22_zps1a392f3e.jpg

002-18_zps6c38e7b2.jpg

004-11_zpse7de45b6.jpg

003-14_zpsbc81d9f9.jpg

005-12_zps8305107b.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Baron.

Thunder, very lovely fabric... I really like these flecks. Reminds me of "mold spots" - in an exceptionally good way. Real mold is of course not that appreciated. ;)

"Willie's" must have been an American Tailor for the US Airforce base at Misawa, Japan. Or a Japanese Tailor running under an American name? Interesting question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany