Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Showcase of Non-Indy Federations

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Ooo! I like that one, Anj!

Alright, as requested, my Fed III on my head, moments before braving the snow and sleet outside!
FedRebashOn.jpg

Yes, I know. The coat is dreadful. But it's my shoveling coat, and in my defense of the color; it looked OD green in the catalog!

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:
Alright, as requested, my Fed III on my head, moments before braving the snow and sleet outside!

Yes, I know. The coat is dreadful. But it's my shoveling coat, and in my defense of the color; it looked OD green in the catalog!

That's different. I don't have the guts, or enough hats to bash one like that yet. :D It looks great on you though. I've got a shoveling coat, I just about wore it out today. Pellets of sleet, followed by snow in my neck of the woods..

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Not-Bogart13 said:

NB: I like it.

RBH: Great diamond as usual.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart13, that telescope bash works really well on you. Looks great.

Chuck Bobuck, what hat are you wearing in your avatar?

Ande1964

Practically Family
Not-Bogart13 said:

FedRebashOn.jpg

Coat or not, that hat looks great. I had never thought of bashing a Fed like that, and it really works.

Anj

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Dumbjaw said:
The two in the front are Akubra Federation IVs in Dark Brown and Carbon Grey, both with a sort of diamond / teardrop / shield crease hybrid:

hat-collection.jpg

Dumbjaw ...very attractive pets you have...do they require much feeding?

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Chuck Bobuck said:
JohnnyB53,
That is a moonstone Squatter I won on eBay.
It looks great. The DM Akubra Squatter is so well proportioned you'd never particularly guess that it has a 3" brim. I have a CEO, which has a 2-3/4" brim and it looks really big-brimmed, but the Squatter just comes across as a very cool pre-war style fedora. I live near the David Morgan showroom, and in my quest for a light to mid-grey fedora I considered his Squatter, but ordered a Fed IV Deluxe moonstone instead. Now I'm not so sure which I should have gotten. Maybe I'll pick one up someday.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the kind words, all.

Yeah, I really like the look of those DM Squatters. I'm reconsidering one, as I didn't care for the standard version. DM's higher crown really makes a difference.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
JohnnyB53 said:
It looks great. The DM Akubra Squatter is so well proportioned you'd never particularly guess that it has a 3" brim. I have a CEO, which has a 2-3/4" brim and it looks really big-brimmed, but the Squatter just comes across as a very cool pre-war style fedora. I live near the David Morgan showroom, and in my quest for a light to mid-grey fedora I considered his Squatter, but ordered a Fed IV Deluxe moonstone instead. Now I'm not so sure which I should have gotten. Maybe I'll pick one up someday.

I think you're going to love the Fed IV. I have the standard and it's a great hat. I haven't worn the Squatter much because, to me, the brim does look wide. I wear my Campdraft and I believe the brims are about the same widths. I can bash my Campdraft and Fed IV into a diamond, but the Squatter's crown isn't tall enough to handle it. I've tried and my head just pops the bash out.

I was getting ready to make a post asking if anyone has trimmed the brim on their Squatter. In fact I took the picture in my avatar to include in the post. I was suprised that brim didn't appear wider in the photo. I may have to wear it more. I don't know this hats lineage for sure. It doesn't have any chin strap holes. The crown doesn't appear as tall and bulbous as Fatdutchmans (see the "Just Arrived: Akubra Squatter in Willow Green"). So, I can't say for sure that mine came from David Morgan. It does have a unique look and the moonstone color is nice. But, if you like a nice tall crown you can bash a diamond into, the Fed or Campdraft would be great. Since you are close to the David Morgan showroom you have a perfect opportunity to check out the Squatter. If you do check one out, please let us know what you think about it.

I was told that the Squatter's crown is a rounder shape. I wear a 59 and the Squatter was snug when I got it. I put it on my knee and stretched it a few times to make it more oval. That seemed to help quite a bit. I may have changed the shape and created more taper though. I pinched the front of the crown a little tighter and that seemed to help. Also, the brim seems a little out of wack. One side runs lower than the other and I'm not sure why. I have to work on it periodically. Maybe because it's not quite a perfect fit? The Campdraft and Fed IV in 59 were larger out of the box at first. Now they are both a perfect fit. I was happy when I won the Squatter on eBay because I was in love with the image from David Morgans website.

deanzat

One of the Regulars
Fred Astaire in Shall We Dance

Not-Bogart13 said:
OK, here's my last remaining Fed III, recently rebashed. I just wanted something different.
FedRebash3.jpg

Just happened to be watching Shall We Dance tonight, and in the roller skating dance, Astaire wears a hat pretty similar to this... Z

MCrider

A-List Customer
Moonstone Federation IV

This is the follow up to my post in the "What Hat are you Wearing Today" thread. As stated there, I received my hat on Dec 5th and proceeded to strive for a look I could live with. First up was the venerable center dent. Add a little water and it came out beautifully... for the hat. For me, it made it look too tall on my head. Still I hoped that I just needed to get used to the style, and I would end up liking it. I didn't. What I needed was to pull the crown down some to make it more in proportion to my face (or at least as close as I could get :) ). What I tried next was a "C" crown. That looked a whole lot more like the look I wanted, but there was one problem. The top of the hat seemed wide enough to land a plane on. Hmmm I wondered if any birds would think it was a nice place to roost. So what I did was wet the crown a little and add a bump for head clearance and add a little texture to the flat top. As the second photo shows - sorta is the end result with that.
Photo 1
S5030530.jpg

Photo 2
greyfed04top.jpg

Overall I like the look, even though I may play with it some more. But I do have to say that the Federation IV is one of the easiest hats I've worked with. The felt is very forgiving and allows you to try different things with no ill effects. I see a Tawny Fawn in my future.

KatintheHat

Suspended
Seems like some folk have forgotten that there was such a thing as the Center Crease long before there was an Indiana Jones.

My problem with making a proper center crease is lack of crown height.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
KatintheHat said:
Seems like some folk have forgotten that there was such a thing as the Center Crease long before there was an Indiana Jones.

My problem with making a proper center crease is lack of crown height.

Well, the Indy bash is a combination of that center crease that is higher in the front than the back, and for Raiders, a tight front pinch and deep dents. While it wasn't a strictly Indy thing, it seems that it is the default for the Fed. But the Fed can take many different bashes, and I thought it might be nice to see them.

KatintheHat

Suspended
kaosharper1 said:
Well, the Indy bash is a combination of that center crease that is higher in the front than the back, and for Raiders, a tight front pinch and deep dents. While it wasn't a strictly Indy thing, it seems that it is the default for the Fed. But the Fed can take many different bashes, and I thought it might be nice to see them.

I'm on board with that. I've always felt that way myself. People with Fed III's that thought they were too tall had other options that could have brought the crown down.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
wow.........

Not-Bogart13 said:
OK, here's my last remaining Fed III, recently rebashed. I just wanted something different.
FedRebash1.jpg

FedRebash2.jpg

FedRebash3.jpg
I think it looks awesome....great choice........:eusa_clap
...as for the tune, "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat".....great song. I love the way "Jeff Beck" does it though.....:D

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
KatintheHat said:
I'm on board with that. I've always felt that way myself. People with Fed III's that thought they were too tall had other options that could have brought the crown down.
Speaking of which, HatsDirect still has the Federation III Deluxe in black. I've also found that you can easily tame the crown height with some sort of domed bash, whether it's a round telescope like what NotBogart13 did, a Maltese Falcon bash like Kaosharper's, a C-crown, or an elongated teardrop like mine, which was my attempt to do the Kaosharper1 Maltese Falcon.

DMAdv1.jpg
DMAdv3.jpg

The elongated teardrop tapers the crown somewhat to eliminate the "coffee can effect" while maintaining an unmistakably pre-war fedora look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo