Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Showtime's Fallen Angels

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Fallen Angels

How many people remember the Showtime series "Fallen Angels"?
It was on back in 1993 and was an attempt to make new film noir mini-movies.
They did a Raymond Chandler story. James Ellroy and Walter Mosley even wrote episodes.
Hollywood's cream directed different episodes. I think Tom Hanks' first directing job was on that show (with a cameo from Bosom Buddy Peter Scolari).
It wasn't great but it was a worthy effort.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Now I have to find the episodes!!

The book has both the stories and the screenplays in them.

Gary Oldman played a cop in one. Hanks was a hitman from Milwaukee I believe, Taking care of business in Chi-town. I think Tom Cruse also directed one...

The stills make the episodes look worth seeing...

Brody

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Badluck Brody said:
The book has both the stories and the screenplays in them.

Gary Oldman played a cop in one. Hanks was a hitman from Milwaukee I believe, Taking care of business in Chi-town. I think Tom Cruse also directed one...

The stills make the episodes look worth seeing...

Brody

The Oldman story (Dead end for Delia) is my favorite. But I don't recall one with Hanks, nor any about a hitman in Chinatown. Are you sure that's part of the series? It's not amoung the six tales listed in the book or on the two VHS tapes. Were there more? Maybe a second season?

-MC

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
The Hanks one

The tape I have has the Tom Hanks episode. The title was "I'll Be Waiting" from a Chandler story. Bruno Kirby played the lead character, a hotel detective. Hanks' bosom buddy, Peter Scolari, had a small part as a wise-cracking hotel clerk.
Hanks' part is small too. He comes in near the end. I think he had a Van Dyke in it.

By the way, welcome here, Mr. Crunk.:)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a link to a good outline of "Fallen Angels". I have never seen it but this and the other thread peaked my interest, so I did a little research. It does sound intrigueing, I would like to see it.
I can't find this on DVD anywhere. I've looked on Deep Discount DVD and Amazon. Does anyone know of a place that might have it? From the reviews I'm reading, it looks like a series that I'd really like to see. Amazon does have the book in paperback. But, still, I'd really like to see the series.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
I can't find this on DVD anywhere. I've looked on Deep Discount DVD and Amazon. Does anyone know of a place that might have it? From the reviews I'm reading, it looks like a series that I'd really like to see. Amazon does have the book in paperback. But, still, I'd really like to see the series.

If it's ever been put out on DVD I have not yet found it. I have both volumes of it on VHS, but would love to have it on DVD. You can find VHS copies on eBay from time to time. In fact, Vol#2 was up for auction earlier today but I think it ended already.

I highly recommend it for any noir fan. Good Stuff, and done in a very effective low-budget, B-movie kind of style, which is refreshing considering the weight of the players involved. I wish they'd do another series of them.

-MC

Benny Holiday

A+ for "Dead End for Delia"

That's my favourite one too. You're right Wolf, Tom Hanks has a small role as a hoodlum in "I'll Be Waiting." I enjoyed the six original episodes, but a year or so later a handful of other episodes were filmed, released on DVD under the title "Perfect Crimes." I've got those, and don;t think they're anywhere near as good as the original six. They don't even have 'Fay Friendly' doing the opening narrations!

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I just found plenty of copies of "Perfect Crimes" - Volumes 1, 2 and 3, and the box set - all on eBay, but they from the UK and all say region 2 encoding. Not sure if any of my DVD players will play it. Anyone found it in region 1?

-MC

carebear

Badluck Brody said:
Hanks was a hitman from Milwaukee I believe, Taking care of business in Chi-town.

Matt Crunk said:
The Oldman story (Dead end for Delia) is my favorite. But I don't recall one with Hanks, nor any about a hitman in Chinatown. -MC

Chi-town is shorthand for Chicago, not Chinatown.

AloMarlowe

New in Town
hi, people, i ve search all over inet for this show and i couldnt found it.
i wanted to know if any one, could upload the episodes from the first season.

Im from Argentina so i cant buy the dvd from europe (region 2). im trying to buy the Vol 1 of perfect crimes but i havent luck find it.

So lets see if anyone can upload plz :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24