Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shutter Island

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sam Craig said:
By the way ....What's the flik about, anyway?
I saw the trailer in the theater with my GF last week and she said that it was so disturbing that if I wanted to watch it I'd be on my own.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Karyl said:
I'm not quite sure, if I'm the only one, but it looks like DiCaprio got constipations, doesn't it?

Nope

shutter-island-20091220090230509_640w.jpg

Bad-Smell-Ad.jpg

Hamletsghost

New in Town
Looks just disturbing enough - Wife & I are REALLY looking forward to diz one. :rage:
NOW onto hats - They look great in the pics - trailers etc. My question is this - These are exactly the style of fedora I am looking for - The height of the crown is just high enough but not too high - the brim width is just right - That being said I need sage advice from the fedora guru's here givin this pic would an Akubra Stylemaster, or Fedora fit da bill? [huh]

Brian

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Hamletsghost said:
Looks just disturbing enough - Wife & I are REALLY looking forward to diz one. :rage:
NOW onto hats - They look great in the pics - trailers etc. My question is this - These are exactly the style of fedora I am looking for - The height of the crown is just high enough but not too high - the brim width is just right - That being said I need sage advice from the fedora guru's here givin this pic would an Akubra Stylemaster, or Fedora fit da bill? [huh]

Brian

I'm with you, nice dimensions!

At a glance though I'd say those babies have more crown, or at least less taper, and less brim than either of those akubras you mention. I reckon the Fed iv would be the only one of theirs close to that shape and it's probably got a tad MORE crown and perhaps an extra 1/2 inch on the brim front and back.

I'm sure the vintage crowd 'round here could give you a closer guess on the dimensions but I'd guess at a 6 inch crown and a 2 1/4 inch brim.[huh]

Hamletsghost

New in Town
:D TANX Elvisroe :D
You may be right about the Fed IV (and it's a beauty) I just want to get a Fedora (generic) that will fit da bill for now. I don't know if a large collection is in my future or not. Having gotten addicted to Hawaiian shirts years ago (125+ & counting) I want to be very careful to not go too hog wild right up front (I'm tellin dat to THIS crowd :eusa_doh: ). So other than a nice Panama this year this may be the only Fedora in my future for now.
AND we can't wait for Shutter Island - truely creepy. :eek:

B

carldelo

One Too Many
I don't know, in that first picture of Leo, his lid doesn't look so tall. I used dividers on the crown, and the height equals the distance from his eyes to the point of his chin. On my mug, that's about 4-1/4" (and my head is very big). I think it looks more like a modern Stetson, say a Chatham, than an Akubra. Rufalo's hat looks a lot like the new Whippet in tawny to me, especially with the brim binding (I think I see a binding, anyway).

That movie looks like it should be good - even a lousy movie with Ben Kingsley is worth watching. And for my money, Leo's best role was probably 'This Boy's Life' from 1993 - he acts circles around De Niro and he was just a kid then.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
DiCaprio and Scorese working together and all the film can get is a FEBRUARY release date? It is the time of year where cinematic bombs are detonated so as not to clog up the schedule. Does not bode well for its quality or the studio's faith in this film.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I was sold on Leo when I saw Gilbert Grape, too. He's for real.
I've seen the trailers a couple of times and finally clicked the sound on for it yesterday. Definitely looks cool.
As far as the ties are concerned, I always call ties of that era "Tucker, The Man and His dream" ties. lol I have several, which I haven't worn in a long time, but I still love 'em.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
I saw the trailer in the theater with my GF last week and she said that it was so disturbing that if I wanted to watch it I'd be on my own.

I know what you mean, over the years I've seen all the Alien movies ... alone.

Now my sons are old enough and I am meeting them to see the new Wolfman.

Age has some advantages!lol

The previews do show some interesting hats, though, and terrific ties, too.

NeilA

Familiar Face
ScionPI2005 said:
:eek:fftopic: I wonder what it was with grade school kids when Titanic came out. My classmates were the exact same way--thought it was the greatest movie ever and acted completely shocked and even appalled if someone hadn't seen it. Then, of course, all the girls were in love with Leo. :rolleyes:

I actually like Leo's acting. I enjoyed Titanic; now, I've only seen it maybe twice and I wouldn't consider it my favorite movie, but it definitely isn't a bad movie. I also enjoyed Blood Diamond, and The Departed.

I'm looking forward to Shutter Island. Now I just need to find someone to go see it with.

:eek:fftopic:
Woah that brought back memories. I was in first or second grade when that came out and I remember that the playground "was" the titanic. I had no idea what was going on because I didn't see the movie till I was in 6th or so.
But I wasn't really impressed with Leo in that movie, esspecialy with the part where they are trying to get topside. He says the samething over and over again. Its like they gave him feedom on his lines there and he didn't know what to do with it.

Anyway... to get back on topic, I agree that the hats, and costumes in general look quite good.

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
seems like i have been waiting forever for this movie!

saw the previews this past summer at the movie theater was sure the release date was november 2009 so waited patiently only to find that the release date was postponed to feb 2010.........hope this date sticks!;)

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Based on the Dennis Lehane novel

Lehane's books have been adapted into pretty good movies (Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone to name two). The trailer for this flick scared the bejeezus outta my fiancee, so I'll probably catch it with my son on his spring break from college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff