Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Side By Side/ Hat Comparisons

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
RJR, Chalie, Alan, Frunobulax and Moon; Thanks guys. It is fun to be able to compare different itatives of the Playboy. Many Forum members have some truly gorgeous versions of this hat that have motivated me to keep my eye open to this vintage model.

Eric -

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
A comparison between the 1930s narrow brimmed style and the 1960s stingy brim style.

IMG_05710.JPG

The hat on the left is a mid to late 1930s Dobbs Leisure Light with 2 1/4 inch brim and 6 1/2 inch open crown with a very deep center dent. The hat on the right is a circa 1964 World's Fair edition Adam Hat with 2 inch brim and 5 1/2 inch open crown with a rather shallow center dent.

Two Longhairs

Here a comparison of two high quality dress hats with long hair finish. Distinctly different from the elegant and refined European velours, these hats, while soft, have a certain wild quality that reminds me of the long silver locks of the elderly Wild Bill Cody. The golden Stetson Clear Nutria is non an uncommon quality, especially in western style hats. This hat, which shows an early numbering sequence in its LOTXXXX mark, is likely 1920 give or take a few years in either direction. The Bancroft Genuine Beaver is a rarer animal. Save for a Stetson 5X Clear Beaver c.1940, it is the only pre WWII hat I have come across that is marked for beaver content. This hat is pre-1934 perhaps the same generation as the Stetson. In the early 20th century, high quality beaver pelts for hatmaking were very expensive as noted in this 1903 discussion of the use of aquatic mammals in hatmaking.

The two hats are very similar in style - the nutria sports a 2 1/4" brim, the beaver 2 1/2. Both have 2" ribbon (note that neither bow end is frayed) and are shown creased to a 5" crown height. The nutria has a soft finish, is flexible but holds its shape very well. The beaver is finished with a longer fur finish and when held up to the nutria, has a much softer hand. It holds a shape, but has the supple flexibility of European velour - you find yourself reinforcing the crease as you put it on your head.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

longhairs1.jpg

longhairs2.jpg

longhairs3.jpg

longhairs4.jpg

longhairs5.jpg

longhairs6.jpg

longhairs7.jpg

longhairs8.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Alan. These are special hats, even considering your impressive collection. I love the close-up showing the under brim felting. The longer fur is obvious in the close-up.

The hats make me want to reach out and touch them.

Best, Eric -

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Alan - Beautiful hats. I'm a big fan of those long hairs. I have a Borsalino and one from Wisconsin - I forget the maker at the moment - but they really are special hats.

I'm sure this comparison has been done before, but here is a Champ B-17, Borsalino Alessandria, and a Stetson Stratoliner.

IMG_1668.jpeg IMG_1669.jpeg IMG_1670.jpeg IMG_1671.jpeg IMG_1672.jpeg IMG_1673.jpeg IMG_1674.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24