Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ski clothing?

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Does anybody know any good resources or examples of ski attire from the 30s? Google is turning up very litte. I am trying to put together an outfit. Also useful would be some instruction on the ins-and-outs of using wooden skis.

p021194s.jpg

vonwotan

Practically Family
For using wooden skis get to know about which waxes are appropriate for various conditions. Without the shaping and edges of a modern ski, much of your control will come from using the right wax. You will also have to adjust a bit to the feel of the wood skis and the necessity (at least in my case) of using more space / wider turns.

I don't know where to look specifically for information on 1930s ski wear, but much of the traditional Tyrolean / alpine gear has changed little over time, although it has been replaced by lighter tech fabrics.

Companies like Ibex and smartwool however are re-discovering the value of merino and other wools in sportswear.

vonwotan

Practically Family
My cousins have jackets not unlike the one in the photo - theirs are boiled wool loden jackets with leather trim and collars. There are a few similar jackets sold in Austria, Germany and our little bit of Italy in wool and other fabrics.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A few years ago, Bogner introduced a classic line which was essentially copied from their 30's and 40's clothing.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
A few years ago, Bogner introduced a classic line which was essentially copied from their 30's and 40's clothing.

You totally beat me to it Tomasso, I was gonna put the same darn link!!
I adore Bogner Ski wear. Besides, they did supply James Bond with all of his great outfits. His website is kind of tricky to navigate, IMO, but check it out.
He can also be quite expensive, but his stuff always goes on sale:) Check out the video section of the website too. The site is all fancy now. It used to just have pictures of their ski clothes over the decades as well as the James Bond Ski scenes in which Bond is wearing the brand. I still think they have these movies somewhere on the site, so I'd try to find them. Great shots of Willie Bogner skiing.
Edit: I just kind of figured out the site. It seems that Willie Bogner Jr. is more into fim making than making clothes:( So he uses the site to showcase his film making. But, check out the "history" link. It's so sad to me the direction the son or grandson is taking the company:( I can't even find the cool James Bond clips anymore.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I too have a particular affinity for Bogner. Besides being the staple for the NYC to Stratton crowd when I was growing up, Bogner was one of the very few who carried nice ski clothing in my size - a rare find for me even back in the day... I used to love wandering around the store in NYC as a kid.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
A timely query...

Herr Berkov-

...back to your roots...
Where did the '30s HJ/Panzer styling come from...?

...repro Panzer trousers in black- classic, '30s civilian style Ski pants.
That's what I have. Another fave pair, are the WW2 and post-war Swiss Army trousers(still see them in surplus and on eBay), which have a blue/grey hue and a thin black piping down the leg seam(they also have an adjustable, blouse-able leg). Both are absolutely excellent and can achieve the "Tin Tin leg".

Anoraks and Windjacke of course.

One of my favourite civilian Alpine ensembles has the black Panzer trou., heavy, cream roll-neck sweater, black single button Panzer cap(adorned with Alpine badges), boots and thick cream wool socks, turned down. Of course, I have a leather kletterjacke, canvas Windjacke and cotton duck Gebirgs. Anorak. Don't forget the goggles!

I don't get many opportunities to wear this getup though... in the city...

The vintage skis, etc., are another cookie but relatively abundant on eBay- but make sure you know what lenght of skis you require.
They are also a favourite "wall-hanging", so prices can get silly sometimes.

BUT-
knowing that I always offer a lot of words around my famous/infamous/existent/non-existent "ensembles", and having just photographed a small selection...
here you go-

Maybe not STRICTLY a Skiing ensemble but it's definitely Vintage, Northern European Alpine.

This collection may tickle you... I even have matching jewellery...

DSCN3460.jpg

Repro Panzer trou, roll neck sweater, '30s leather Kletterweste(climbing jacket- very HJ/BDM style but civilian), repro single button cap(with 1914-16 Tyrolean WW1 participant commemorative Edelweiss badge), etc.... The boots and socks are oldies- I even have some Styrian gaiters...

DSCN3461.jpg

Even a vintage karabiner... oh and pocketwatch hanging on the watch ring...

DSCN3463.jpg

Silver Eichenlaub and horn jewellery, as a vintage flourish... This set has brooch, ring AND cufflinks!

DSCN3462.jpg

These are the Swiss trou and a Swiss Army sweater.

DSCN3464.jpg

Oh- don't forget the vintage Rucksack!!!

Too hot to wear this getup-

Hope you like this!

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
More of the Swiss Trousers... for those who care...

DSCN3472.jpg

Very high waisted, with brace buttons and watch pocket.

DSCN3471.jpg

Fishtail, cinch back.

These, if memory serves, were around $20 from eBay- well worth it- they are excellent quality and have classic styling.
They are not itchy and scratchy either- nice wool.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran