Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Skin Care tips/remedies

Mary

Practically Family
I'd also like to know what to use on my dry skin. I tried the ocm with almond oil but I think I got bigger pores and blackspots so now I'm back with the cold cream and the nivea. I'm still dry on my cheeks, maybe there isn't all that much to do about it. :(

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
I am not sure where I should post this--i keep coming across threads that mention sensitive/dry/rosacea skin, so I though I would add some info here.

I have *super* dry/sensitive skin and have spent *many* moons trying everything under the sun.....OCM destroyed my face like you wouldn't believe.
Within 2 months I was wrinkled, my rosacea was out of control, and it burned and stung and oh man oh mighty is was horrible! My blackheads were all gone, but I had a nasty rash in their stead. I even did major research and tried different oils (all natural and non-scented, BTW) because so many people swear by it, but I finally decided it was not for me as it just flat out made my skin go nuts.
SO......
The only products that have worked for me since then (and they work so well I am darned near ready to be a spokeswoman! :) ) are the Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Line. They cost just slightly more than good drugstore brands and hey are fragrance free---I think some of them have silicones in them, but my sensitive skin LOVES silicone (it is good for wound healing and preventing scars, afterall) so I don't mind.

Nightly Regime

1. Gentle Touch Makeup remover with cotton ball around my eyes
2. splash with tepid water
3. Skin Recovery Cleanser, massaged onto skin
4. rinse with warm water (NEVER ever hot--it's bad for your skin)
5. Skin Recovery Toner with cotton ball (It feels sooooooo calming)
6. Exfoliating BHA 1% or 2% (i recommend starting off at a lower % first...and if you have rosacea like me, DO NOT use AHA's----BHA's have an ingredient that calms irritation, AHA's can cause it)
7. Every other night I use the 2.5% benzoyl peroxide ointment (something I have never been able to do before without rashing out)
8. Follow it with the Skin Recovery Moisturizer, which is hands down the best most non-irritating formula I have ever, ever used.

In the morning I usually just splash with water and apply more moisutizing cream before applying my makeup.

My skin is back to where it was in my early twenties---I am 35 now---gleaming and clean with small pores and very few wrinkles. People are always telling me how great my skin looks, and I think "Thank You, Paula!!" I sound like a dork, don't I? :)

Anyway....I wish, oh how I wish i could just use cold cream and witch hazel, but sadly, I cannot. The scent in Ponds gives me a rash. :(

I hope this helps you gals with super dry and sensitive skin.

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
NicolettaRose said:
I was wondering if anyone could suggest any products for dry skin, sensative on the face. During the winter, my skin gets so dry and no amount of moisturizer/night cream helps it, the only products I have found to work are those really expensive ones, I have been told I need to exfoliate a couple times a week, but all of the scrubs are not made for sensative skin.

Any recommendations?

A nice middle of the road product is Dermalogica, they make a Daily Microfoliant that will help you out that can be used every now and then or even daily hence the name, the other products they have a great but I think Eminence Organics has the best creams and masks known to man kind for any skin type out there, plus it doesn't hurt that they smell to die for!

jayem

A-List Customer
Exercise your eyes often by focusing on different objects that are either nearer or further away from you. Strong, healthy eyes are key, in my book, to a perfect face. Also, take your lutein!

For dry skin, lotion is your best friend. For oily skin, rose water/witch hazel is.

For those of you who dye your hair darker: stop using chemicals and switch to indigo/henna! I recently dyed my hair a dark blue black maroon with henna/indigo and honestly, I now have the shiniest, softest hair I've ever felt with, not to mention, and extremely rich and vibrant color. No matter what the dye, demi or permanent, it WILL destroy your hair sooner or later.

Take care of your feet/hands. They say a lot about you.

colemancol

New in Town
Some useful skincare tips

Hey

First of all keep it simple. I have very good skin because I refuse to overload my skin. Drink 1.5 - 2 liters of water a day, get proper sleep, avoid alcohol & caffeine and eat healthily. Most importantly of all, let your skin breathe. Go make-up free for at least 3 days in a row and just use a light moisturizer in the morning.Try this I am sure its give you a satisfactory result that you are looking for!!

bunny chan

Familiar Face
I agree with you, and I do the same things...but I cannot drink 2lt of water a day!!! I know it's not good, but I really can't!

B.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
colemancol said:
Hey

First of all keep it simple. I have very good skin because I refuse to overload my skin. Drink 1.5 - 2 liters of water a day, get proper sleep, avoid alcohol & caffeine and eat healthily. Most importantly of all, let your skin breathe. Go make-up free for at least 3 days in a row and just use a light moisturizer in the morning.Try this I am sure its give you a satisfactory result that you are looking for!!

While this advice probably won't hurt anyone's skin, different people and different skin conditions require different treatments. I don't think it would have done anything for the acne I had for much of my adult life.

There's no way I could drink 2 liters of water in a day. I tried it once on doctor's orders and felt like I was sloshing. Some doctors say that drinking lots of water just makes for more trips to the bathroom, and I'm inclined to agree with them.

Living in a semi-arid climate, letting my skin "breathe" would make it dry and tight; it would also expose it to UV rays. I moisturize twice a day and wear makeup every day, and I'm happy with how my skin looks and feels.

What helped my skin was changes in diet that didn't involve chocolate, alcohol, caffeine or french fries.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day cleans up the room!

I make my own scrubby stuff by mixing fructose crystals and almond meal (50/50) and a little water to make a paste. The almond meal soothes and de-oils, and the fructose melts dead skin cells.
:eek:fftopic: Have you ever tried to type with the cat's tail lashing back and forth across the keyboard? Its like Chinese jump rope...my fingers have to leap iver her tail...
Back on topic: Lately, due to poverty, I have simplified my routine a lit, and it seems to help my skin. I started using witch hazel as a toner, and I add a few aspirins to it for the redness and inflammation reducing benefits, it is great.

roselily

One of the Regulars
I went cold turkey on acne and commercial facial products and my skin has finally cured itself!

Morning: rinse with water in the shower. If I'm dry rub in a little oil or aloe vera gel of some sort before mineral makeup.
Evening: Either rinse with water (with a washcloth to get the makeup off) or use a bit of castor oil (basically a simplified OCM, once or twice a week max). After that I put a little oil on my eyelashes, then either rosehip, castor, or cocoa butter all over my face (sometimes I combine them) and spritz with a mister. (the water helps it sink in faster)

And. That's. It. The cocoa butter really reduces my visible lines, and the castor oil makes my eyelashes grow longer and fuller.

If I do get a monster zit (usually around that time of the month) a dab of Aztec clay heals it almost overnight. I tend not to get the annoying little rashy breakouts anymore.

In summer I'll add an additional sunscreen if I'll be outside.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I'm not sure.... my hormones are really out of whack because of pregnancy, so I don't think that just being pregnant is making my skin clear up.

I also drink a lot of water. That helps my skin. And there are days that I just don't feel like putting on any make up.

I'm interested to see what happens after baby is born. Less than two months until I find out.

melanie

One of the Regulars
skin care routine

I was just wondering what you girls do to look after your skin on an daily, weekly and monthly basis?

I cleanse and moisturize my face everyday, using Boots Original Beauty Formula products, and I am going to be getting the toner in this range when they get it in, I also put handcream on |(the obf also) every night before I go to bed.

I try to exfoliate my face on a weekly basis, followed by having a face pack, and I have a facial steam whenever I remember.

i dont think there is anything I do on a monthly basis to be honest?

After I have had a bath or shower, and if I'm not in a rush, I'll put on the Boots OBF body cream, which smells lush, and thats about it really, how about you? And what products do you use?

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Heres what I use:
Morning:
-Pears coal tar soap and lukewarm water with a face cloth.
-Ponds oil control vanishing cream
-Uvistat SPF 50

Night:
-Ponds cold cream with cotton wool pads#
- Skin tonic (witchhazel usually, if dry rosewater & glycerine, for break outs hydrogen peroxide)
-Nivea cream under eyes (a tiny dot)

For extras:
-spots- hydrogen peroxide or magnesium sulphate paste drawing ointment
-excess oil (in summer)- kaolin clay and water face mask
-exfoliation- pears soap with a muslin cloth
- dry -leave cold cream on for 10 mins or vaseline on dry spots

I use a skin care tool by tweeserman to extract blockages in pores and infected pores. I sterilise with surgical spirit. I decanted all my products into bottles and jars I bought from an aromatherapy website so they look pretty on my dressing table.

As I've siad before i used Gylcolic acid for many years (about 8) and it caused my skin to be photsensitive and develop hyperpigmentation on my cheeks - also I noticed that it didn't heal very well and became thin and easily damaged.

This routine worked for me at age 18 and I was noted for my perfect skin, and going back to it has been dramatically beneficial for my skin.

Body:
I use nivea cream on my body and Almond oil on my cuticles. After a bath i like to use a body oil. I used to use plamers but I'm planning on making my own from a combination of base oils. I exfoliate with a bristle brush and soap, use a chiropody spnge on my feet and though i generally use an epliator i also shave-and have given up canned foam in favour of a Badger bristle brush and a bar of soap- it works for me and is nice and cheap. I shave all body hair- though it's not particularly vintage -but I've never been able to tolerate body hair since childhood.

melanie

One of the Regulars
Tishkaminx, your routine sounds very thorough and very nice, and may I say, quite oldfashioned too. :)
I used to use Pears soap for a good while, as I did not used to wear much make up, but now with me wearing foundation each day (well, when I go out anyway) and eye make up, I find that a cleanser gets my make up off better, but I think I'll try out your exfoliation method with the soap and muslin. :)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Tishkaminx said:
Heres what I use:
Morning:
-Pears coal tar soap and lukewarm water with a face cloth.
-Ponds oil control vanishing cream
-Uvistat SPF 50

My mum has told me that my great grandmother used Wright's Coal Tar soap and glycerine on her face and her skin was buttery soft until the day she died. I'll have to try it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo