Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

skinny vs wide vs. Seven fold ties, vs et al

Jovan

Suspended
It's best to wear the ties that are best proportionate to your lapels, same as it is to wear the type of knot that is proportionate to your collar spread. For example, if you wear narrow 2.75" lapels, it's best to wear a tie around 2"-3" wide at the blade. I'd avoid wearing a really wide spread collar and largely knotted tie with wide lapels. Similarly, too narrow a collar with a narrow lapeled suit can look like your wardrobe shrunk. It's all about balance.

Seven fold ties produce a rather thick knot, even if it's a four in hand. I'm not a fan of that. Most here prefer a thinly lined or unlined tie, because it was the norm for the 1930s and 1940s. These make small knots, even if the blade is 4" wide. Usually ties are shorter in length the farther you go back, since trousers were worn higher then.

Hope this is of some help. :)

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Jovan said:
It's best to wear the ties that are best proportionate to your lapels, same as it is to wear the type of knot that is proportionate to your collar spread. For example, if you wear narrow 2.75" lapels, it's best to wear a tie around 2"-3" wide at the blade. I'd avoid wearing a really wide spread collar and largely knotted tie with wide lapels. Similarly, too narrow a collar with a narrow lapeled suit can look like your wardrobe shrunk. It's all about balance.

Seven fold ties produce a rather thick knot, even if it's a four in hand. I'm not a fan of that. Most here prefer a thinly lined or unlined tie, because it was the norm for the 1930s and 1940s. These make small knots, even if the blade is 4" wide. Usually ties are shorter in length the farther you go back, since trousers were worn higher then.

Hope this is of some help. :)

This is actually a good post. Agreed 100% :eusa_clap

Jovan said:
Are you purposely trying to contradict me in every thread? ;)

nowt contradictory. ;)

You're post generally is true. 'Tis normally best to maintain balance where possible. Me just trying to get people to discover the truths for themselves.

As you know there are always exceptions to any of the truths we promote. There are some wonderful pics of Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster et al. looking utterly outstanding wearing skinny lapels, big fat old kipper neckties and stingy brim fedoras with really really wide ribbons - 3 inches and above (recall, these are by no means small chaps), putting all our ideas about balance to terrible shame.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR