Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slanted crowns ... the look of the future

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Stetsonslant-40.jpg

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Well, while I don't know where they got the tatoo idea from, they did have evidence that the slant hat would sell. If you look at movies with lots of fedora's in them, you'll see alot of people wearing their hats crooked. I guess stetson was just trying to create a hat that would look crooked with out having to be worn that way.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Yeah, I have seen slanted hats and slanted crowned hats in movies too. Even if it looked dorky to us they knew they would sell.

Today, I think Stetson is just totally out of touch with what the dress hat consumer wants. They know their cowboy hats and they seem to be run by cowboy hat wearers. Dress hats are not their thing.

It's like having Harley Davidson make a car... they would not know where to begin.

Dress hats harken back to a bygone era. Their target audience should be the reader of mens magazines like GQ and Esquire.
At the moment they are focused on the readers of Cowboys and Indians. Even if they made a good dress hat it would not be seen by the right audience. Akubra from my point of view is taking their dress hat market share because they still pay attention to those who wear the hats and focus their sales that way.

"Stetson... I want to see higher crowns and better felt! Don't sell it as a Nastalgic remake, but as the hat for the discerning gentlemen of 2004 and beyond. So it looks like it came from the 30's... the look was good. That is what I want from Stetson."

More people are wearing hats everyday and i want to see the brand flourish in this market again.

Jsoftz

New in Town
I had this terrible dream last night that a friend of mine bought that "tattoed" hat and was wearing it, and she was expecting me to like it. I ended up saying I did because I didn't want to hurt her feelings!

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
This is pure speculation on my part, but I would guess that slant hat add is from 1945 or 46, or thereabouts--right after the war. Your basic buck private hat (those flat things...I don't know what they're called) were always worn at a sharp slant, so maybe Stetson thought this was the way to attract guys that had just mustered out and were used to the look. Or, maybe it was simply the headware equivalent of "improved" formula Coke. As for that tattooed thing...one of the reasons I wear fedoras is because the ubiquitous ball cap is not really a hat, it's a marketing tool. People wear them for the logo, not because they look good (God knows they don't) or offer any kind of protection. So seeing a fedora that is a marketing tool, even if it's for the hatmaker, is distressing.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Ah?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ ANOTHER reason to bash Stetson. Does life get any better?

This is more proof that ?¢‚Ǩ?ìFashion?¢‚Ǩ? designers drink martinis with their three squares. Also goes to show that Stetson is just out of touch with the common man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21