Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeves too short on new Lost Worlds Ryder jacket?

casmirradon

New in Town
Hello, my first post, but I've been reading a lot here recently and have found it an invaluable resource. Last week I ordered a LW Ryder jacket from the sale page, since I'm a thin guy and could take advantage of that. I'm 6" tall and wear a 36 R suit, so I assumed it would work for me.

Of course I loved it right out of the box, and I want to be able to wear it everywhere. But I started getting nervous after a few minutes. Right now the sleeves come just to my wrist, which is basically perfect for me... but I've been doing a lot of reading (I swear I searched and read everything I could before posting this) and it sounds like with regular wear the sleeves are going to become creased and as a result become even shorter.

Here are my questions. Is this shortening of sleeves inevitable? If they get any shorter than this it will start to look ridiculous I think.

Doesn't look like there is much material in the sleeve that could be let out, even if I found someone who could do this for me. Has anyone tried this?

Maybe I could have someone add knit cuffs like on a flight jacket? Thoughts?

I don't ride, so this jacket is purely for wearing around town.

26196800.jpg

I kept the shoes in the picture because they are Cordovan Alden's, so the leather also came from Horween's tannery.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hello and welcome to the forum!! You've selected a great looking and extremely well made jacket. The overall fit is just as it should be but to be honest (and because you asked) the sleeves are too short for my taste. I also prefer it if the front panels of the jacket cover the buckle/belt (but that's really up to one's personal taste.)
The sleeves will most certainly develop more creases and folds as you wear it which will make them appear even shorter.

My suggestions:

- Send this picture to LW and ask Stuart if he would be willing to insert a set of new sleeves for you or...

- ...if would take the jacket back and make a new one for you in 36 Long

- Leather can sometimes be stretched permanently after you've evenly misted the surface with hot water. I usually don't support these techniques but it might work if there is enough lining in the sleeves.

- Just wear the jacket. The sleeves may be a tad too short but it doesn't look ridiculous and some fellow loungers prefer their jackets this way

Good luck!!

Last edited:

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hi and welcome to this marvellous place.

from my point of view the sleeves are a little bit to short, even when the sleeves get more creases. you need an inch more in the lenght. with hot water treadment you could not reach that extension. What a pitty, the jacket looks brilliant.

I bought my first jackets from ebay and none was fitting like it should and like I wished. At least i began to order new jacket exactly made for my measurement. These jacket were more expensive, but i was much more satisfied.

Ask Stuart, like Jan mentioned.

Good luck

Olli

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think the sleeves are an inch too short and the body two inches too short. My view is that a short jacket needs to cover your belt. But you may be after the "high" look..? Nice looking jacket design, though.

casmirradon

New in Town
I wrote Lost Worlds with my concerns over sleeve length and asked if he had any suggestions. This was his reply:

"These sleeves won't shorten, in fact when the hide is relaxed they drop a bit lower."

Cooperson

One Too Many
Nice leather casmirradon and welcome to the Lounge . To my eye, the jacket does look a little short for your frame in both arms and body although a pair of higher waisted jeans might solve the look of shortness in the body length. If you are not 100% happy with it now, I would recommend you return it while it's still unworn and order a longer fit - I would be very surprised if the sleeves drop, but that's only based on my own experience. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Last edited:

casmirradon

New in Town
I would be very surprised if the sleeves drop, but that's only based on my own experience. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Tried the jacket on a minute ago and the body fit fine this time and just covers my belt. Not sure what was going on in that other photo, maybe my jeans were riding too low or something. Either way the sleeves still fit exactly the same as the picture.

Sadly money is quite tight, and I could barely afford this sale jacket. This means I can't order a custom jacket, or order a long jacket from LW, or even return this jacket because you can't return sale items. If it doesn't end up working for me I'll sell it, as I'm accustomed to selling clothing online.

I can't tell you how much I want to believe the advice from Lost Worlds. But why does to directly conflict with the testimonials of everyone I've read who owns a horse hide jacket? It seems unbelievable to me that Lost Worlds would knowingly provide bad advice. I just wish I knew what to believe.

I can't understand why it's so short in the first place. I'm only 6" tall, have a normal arm length (32" dress shirts), and consistently wear a 36 R in different suits and jackets. On the LW website they say their custom long sizes are generally only for people 6'3" or taller with 36" arm lengths.

Kenal0

New in Town
It is worth a trip to a local tailor that specializes in working with leather. Maybe there is enough to let it out 1/2" which might do the trick. Are there cuffs in the sleeve? if not maybe adding them is an option. It is not that bad that it is unwearable. Too me it is more important how it feels. I do agree that once it breaks in and loosens up, it will be a tad longer. It is a very nice looking jacket.

Kenal0

Kenal0

New in Town
If that is one of the jackets on the bottom of the sale page it is a heck of a deal. Hopefully you can make it work.
Kenal0

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Yeah, from personal experience, I would say there is no way the sleeves are going to drop. Did you happen to ask for measurements from LW prior to buying?

casmirradon

New in Town
Yeah, from personal experience, I would say there is no way the sleeves are going to drop. Did you happen to ask for measurements from LW prior to buying?

No, there is a note on the LW sales page saying that they will not give measurements for sale items. On another area of their site he discusses who fits a regular or a long. He says that a long usually only for people 6'3" or taller with arm lengths at least 36" (both much longer than me).

The sales page also says they are identical to current production models... so I would hope these particular jackets were not actually made shorter for the Japanese market.

Forrest

Familiar Face
Yeah, if that was a sale item, I would think you are stuck with it. It is a great looking jacket and it looks really good on you. I agree, though, sleeves are too short, and they will probably get shorter... LW won't provide measurements? Why in the world would that be their policy? That makes no sense, since the item is non-returnable.

casmirradon

New in Town
Yeah, if that was a sale item, I would think you are stuck with it. It is a great looking jacket and it looks really good on you. I agree, though, sleeves are too short, and they will probably get shorter... LW won't provide measurements? Why in the world would that be their policy? That makes no sense, since the item is non-returnable.

They say the sale items are warehoused and not readily available for measuring.

Fine by me. I'm just really having trouble understanding why it's so short. Am I wrong that my proportions are fairly average and well within the range of a "regular" jacket size?

I want to look into having knit cuffs added, as I think that is a decent solution, but not sure where to start with that.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I want to look into having knit cuffs added, as I think that is a decent solution, but not sure where to start with that.

U.S. Authentic will do that for you for $50.
I was planning on having them add wool cuffs to a jacket I purchased off of Ebay that had very short sleeves. I decided to resell instead, so I have no personal experience with them, but I hear repeatedly that they work lightning fast.

casmirradon

New in Town
I'd keep it, the fit looks fine to me.

Thanks. I've decided I'll take this advice. I really do love how the jacket looks. I'm just going to stop worrying about it, and wear it happily. If I have problems someday with sleeves getting too short, I'll look into adding cuffs then.

Thanks everyone, this is a great forum. What an incredible thing to be treated with civility on the internet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24