Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking in England banned from July 1st...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward

Bartender
LocktownDog said:
I recall reading somewhere recently that a car idling for 5 minutes puts out the same toxins as 20,000 burning cigarettes.

I don't know what that really has to do with the topic on hand. I just found it interesting. I know that I for one would like to see more emissions controls.

Alrighty ... back on topic then. You boys can resume the verbal beatings. ;)

Richard

If memory serves, in Switzerland there is a law which obliges drivers to swtich off their engines while sat at traffic lights. This would of course require longer periods on green in each direction in order that there is time for everyone to do it. It might also be hard to enforce in a culture where people simply don't have the concern for the environment that they do in Switzerland, or places like Germany (I often wish that all public wastebins here in the UK were split into three compartments for different forms of rubbish, though it would be a real uphill struggle to get people to abide by it. The British are shockingly backward when it comes to environmentalism, IMO).

nightandthecity said:
that is actually another reason why I am sceptical about government smoking bans. Given the scale of pollution from the motor car, industry etc it always seems to me that the obsession with smoking bans is a convenient way of appearing to be "doing something" whilst avoiding the real issues. It is a lot easier to attack the increasingly unpopular habit of a minority of private individuals than to attack the car industry.

I agree that smoking is an easier thing to tackle in this way than cars. The car issue is also so much more complex. For instance, it has been suggested that all cars over a certain number of years old should be compulsorily taken off the roads, but then what do we do about people in rural areas who can't afford something newer, yet don't have access to public transport? Or what about the guy who prefers to run a 1963 Morris Minor everyday? Are his higher emissions offset by the fact that he is not contributing to the demands made on the environment by the production of a new car? Much more difficult one. Then there's also the issue that comparatively fewer of us will spend a very significant amount of time outside breathing traffic fumes as compared to inside in smoky atmospheres. You and I are on opposite sides of the debate when it comes to the smoking ban, but I absolutely agree that there are other things that may be equally as damaging, and they too must be tackled. and yes, smoking is a declining habit, whereas the car it seems is not, so it should certainly be a priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic