Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking in the house???

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
I have a child, so smoking in the house is something I don't do. It's just not fair to him.The smell gets EVERYWHERE and just doesn't come out, and he shouldn't have to deal with that. Not to mention, when it's freezing outside I smoke a lot less...

Slim Portly

One Too Many
It's my house, so by golly I'm smoking in it. I always open the big front window and the little back window, turn on the fans, and close the doors to the bedrooms, and I only smoke one cigar (erm, usually) per day, but when I feel like lighting up I'm lighting up.

However, one of my favorite things about living in the desert is the pleasant nights. Often I'll drag a big wicker chair out onto the back porch late at night, strip down to shorts and a tank top, and sit in the warm night air and enjoy one last smoke. Truly one of life's more sublime pleasures.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
If i was as lucky as Slim, having a desert outside, I would sit there every evening and night smoking a cigar. But sitting outside in the rain and snow, smoking a cigar is not my favourit thing.

So - to answere the question - sometimes inside. Most of the time outside.
But since I only smoke the ocasional cigar - two, thee a month - it's no big deal smoking inside.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
My wife loves the smell of pipe smoke, but she's also allergic to the smoke itself, so I have to smoke outside the house. It's one of the reasons I smoke much less in the winter.

When I can build a new workshop I'm putting a loft in it with a nice chair along with a desk and reference book shelves, so I'll have a place to smoke whenever I like.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pipe, yes. No one can smoke cigarettes in the house, it stinks up the several rooms of vintage clothes and makes the pugs sneeze.
Obviously my neighbors in the rental next door have this same rule: I find several butt ends in my driveway daily. Grrr.
Whenever my mom would send me a parcel of clothing, I knew she'd hung them in the indoor garage as they reeked of cigarette smoke. What I'm wearing now does, although I'm very grateful for the thrift shop clothes, some current, some vintage. I'm even more thankful that last night when I called she announced she's quit smoking. :D

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Both the better half and I smoke, but we don't inside, only out on the verandah, even in the middle of winter here. Only exception is if we throw a bash, then people puff away where ever they please.

Burnsie

Last night I was in my usual smoking spot on the back porch with my wife talking to me through an open kitchen window.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Smithy and Slim......
I'm on the same page.

Nights in the summer get all the way down to about 75 degrees F which make them perfect for outdoors smoking; but in the cooler climes when guests are over, smoking lamp is lit indoors as well.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I smoke in the house. I love smoking a cig while watching a movie and having a cocktail! The windows get opened wide, and usually an odor eating candle gets lit. In another apartment, I probably wouldn't, but the lady before me smoked in this apartment for 30 years, so the smell is there regardless.

Eduard

Familiar Face
Always take my time with a cigar so I smoke indoors always. Never take my cigar with me outdoors. Not even on a stroll or to walk my dog to the nearest lamp-post. Cigars are like cats: fit for indoors, in a comfortabele armchair next to a cosy fire in the winter and near an open window in the summer ;)

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
I smoke inside. In the winter, outside smoking is out of the question -I do it for relaxation and enjoyment, not because I have a desire to freeze my tail off. In the summer, it's too humid, here in Missouri.

However, since I only smoke a pipe or cigar a few times a week, and I have good ventilation, the smell doesn't linger. (I kind of wish it would, actually -I enjoy the smell of pipe smoke.)

When I was in Kansas for college, inside smoking was prohibited in our hundred-year-old dormitory, they were afraid it'd go up like a match if there was a mishap. This necessitated many leisurely evening walks around the quad with a stogie, which was bearable there, most of the time. In the winter, the breeze was too cold and piercing to make it worthwhile, so we wouldn't smoke as much, and when we felt compelled to do so, to aid our enjoyment of life, we would surreptitiously do so inside. Some guys "improved" their fire alarms so that they wouldn't go off, either by removing the battery or by stuffing a plastic shopping bag into the works, effectively shielding the thing from the air. Others would perch on their windowsills with a fan going. I myself found an old, unoccupied room at the end of a little-used hallway that had its own door, separating it from the main hallway where the housefather stayed -I'd go in there and smoke to my heart's content. The few guys who lived in that hall loved the smell, and wanted me to frequent the place more often! lol

matei

One Too Many
We're non-smokers, so no smoking for us in the aul house.

However, when our smoking friends come over, they enjoy their vice on the balcony. It is the closest thing to smoking indoors, yet doing it outside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo