Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snagged this Aero test model yesterday!

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
Aero's evidently testing its Pioneer model in other hides. I saw this one in my size on the sale page yesterday and pounced!

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1287

Love the design of the Pioneer, but, for me, the kudu hide was a little too casual, if you can say that about a leather jacket. The depth of the colors in this test model are just gorgeous. That said, can anyone enlighten me as to what "upholstery steer hide" is and how it differs from regular steer hides? I haven't bugged Holly with my questions because I know how swamped they are right now.

Thanks.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
J,
Could "upholstery" leather be leather commonly used to make...you know upholstered furniture? I am sitting on a leather couch as I write this, and I am rubbing the hide and imagining this made into a jacket. Let us know but I would imagine that the leather will be very soft to the touch

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
J,
Could "upholstery" leather be leather commonly used to make...you know upholstered furniture? I am sitting on a leather couch as I write this, and I am rubbing the hide and imagining this made into a jacket. Let us know but I would imagine that the leather will be very soft to the touch

That's what I was thinking, but didn't want to bug Holly so soon after the factory reopened after Christmas. I'd just never seen a hide for clothing labeled "upholstery," even on the Aero site. Was curious if any of you guys had run across it.

And I'll try to get pics up, Worf. Right now it's somewhere over the Atlantic, headed for JFK Customs.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
J,

For what it's worth, I just got a jacket at Johnson Leather. When it came time to pick out the hide, among the choices I was shown was the leather used in the San Francisco Police Department jackets. That's what I picked because long ago I had an LAPD motorcycle jacket which was similar. Later when I asked Alan how to describe it, he said something like "finished leather, like they use on car seats. He also said it was super tough. I attached a pic that sorta shows a little bit what it's like. Naked cowhide (like on the stock jacket I tried on), it ain't. BTW, I've seen websites from high end jacket makers where, among the detritus at the end, they discuss using their hides on car seats. P.S. Looking at the pix on the URL, I'm sure it's the same. To put it another way: it's what Naugahyde is trying to imitate, but is grossly inferior to.

Photoon2012-12-13at0304.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot