Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Snap-on' rollers? 'Magnetic' rollers? Please advise!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Hello all,

I've tried searching for a specific answer to my question and nothing came up, so I hope it's okay to start a new thread.

I want to get some new, larger rollers. I don't really want another set of sponge rollers and perm rods don't seem to be available in the size I want (not on ebay, at least). I was looking at these: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Snap-On-Rollers/SLNCAR47,default,pd.html

What are these, exactly? Are they the same as 'magnetic' rollers? Has anyone used them? Do you think a head of 6 or 8 would be impossible to sleep in? I want something that will minimise tangle, and I'm not sure if the cage design of them would do that...

If anyone could answer any of my questions I would be, as always, very grateful :)

Tatum

Practically Family
Frenchy, I tried those out once upon a time. They are a hard plastic roller, and they have a cover that is basically two-thirds of a roller, if that makes sense. The outside is placed over the roller and holds it all together. It was nice in that you didn't really have any dents, but I couldn't find them in any other size.

I can't remember if I slept in them or not. I wouldn't think they would be much worse than perm rods. I might have to investigate further, as I have such a tough time getting my hair to dry, those would be nice as they are so vented.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Thanks all for the replies. So, regular snap on ones are the ones on the link I posted, this is a regular magnetic one: http://www.viewpointdirect.co.uk/si...ollers---various-sizes-10mm---30mm-1496-p.asp, and these are magnetic and snap-on ones: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Snap-On-Magnetic-Rollers/SLNCAR48,default,pd.html ? Oh, the confusion!

I'm guessing that the snap-on AND magnetic ones would be best, then? Cause they hold themselves there (unlike regular magnetics which need pins), and as you said CaramelSmoothie, they have a nice smooth surface, unlike the regular snap-on ones. Am I right?

Tatum, I second the need for faster drying, especially now I have my perm, I really noticed that it seems to hold water, the thought of doing a foam roller set now is not good :( I think I definitely need something vented. I'm thinking as well that if I have to do fewer sets - can't really see myself needing to pincurl every night anymore - I might be less fussy about having a night's restless sleep with these on my head. Hmmm....

Last edited:

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Thanks all for the replies. So, regular snap on ones are the ones on the link I posted, this is a regular magnetic one: http://www.viewpointdirect.co.uk/si...ollers---various-sizes-10mm---30mm-1496-p.asp, and these are magnetic and snap-on ones: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Snap-On-Magnetic-Rollers/SLNCAR48,default,pd.html ? Oh, the confusion!

I'm guessing that the snap-on AND magnetic ones would be best, then? Cause they hold themselves there (unlike regular magnetics which need pins), and as you said CaramelSmoothie, they have a nice smooth surface, unlike the regular snap-on ones. Am I right?

Tatum, I second the need for faster drying, especially now I have my perm, I really noticed that it seems to hold water, the thought of doing a foam roller set now is not good :( I think I definitely need something vented. I'm thinking as well that if I have to do fewer sets - can't really see myself needing to pincurl every night anymore - I might be less fussy about having a night's restless sleep with these on my head. Hmmm....

Yes, correct. The magnetics, in my opinion, gives me a more smoothier polished curl. I have never even used the one you posted because I know it would tangle my hair. You can always try mesh rollers. You get the fast drying time and the smooth curl texture all in one:

http://www.metrobeauty.com/Hair-Care/Rollers-Rods-Pins-Clips-Hair-Nets/Diane-Mesh-Hair-Rollers-.html

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Those mesh rollers look really similar to the brush rollers everyone hates... wonder if you could just pry the inside brushy things out and use them without it? Personally, I've been on a quest to find something that I can sleep on, because my hair is pretty long and my life is not conducive to spending the day at home waiting for my hair to dry. Yes, I have a bonnet dryer, and I still haven't been able to get my sets dry in any reasonable amount of time. I recently tried standing pin curls, and they dried, but they also smushed flat while sleeping. So my next order of business involves these. I bought the smallest size, and like velcro rollers, you're not supposed to wrap the hair more than once or twice. Since I love my hair and have heard horror stories, I'm planning on wrapping them in some sort of fabric and sewing it to the roller, then pinning them in. They feel like they're soft enough to sleep on but firm enough to pop back into shape when I roll over onto my other side. Probably won't get to try them out for a couple weeks because it's nearly the end of the semester and the accompanying panic time. Will report, though!

Tatum

Practically Family
Gracie, careful with those. I hated them, it was a tanglefest and I couldn't get rid of the frizzies when I did manage to free my hair!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I figured I'd dig into my fabric stash (Lord knows it's big enough) and use a light weight cotton or some such to completely cover the plastic or rubber or whatever they are, so the little "tooth" thingies are neutralized and my hair never makes contact with the roller itself. It would then function more like a foam roller, but with a hollow center, so hopefully my hair would actually dry. That's what I'm hoping for, at least :p At this point, I think I own some of every roller type on earth, and none of them have done what I've hoped for. I'm banking on some "outside the box" thinking - if this doesn't work, I'm lost.

Tatum

Practically Family
I figured I'd dig into my fabric stash (Lord knows it's big enough) and use a light weight cotton or some such to completely cover the plastic or rubber or whatever they are, so the little "tooth" thingies are neutralized and my hair never makes contact with the roller itself.

That might work then! OK, I feel better now. I also owned everything purchasable from Sally's and Target, I tossed soooo much of it when we moved, but you have to learn what works.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Thanks for the input, everyone. I have now bought some magnetic snap-on rollers- hopefully they will be the answer!

(Edited to say that despite my sudden hopeful excitement, plastic comb rollers can definitely not be comfortably slept on, despite giving great results :( )

Also, I was thinking, if for whatever reason I don't like/want/need the sanp-on part of the roller, surely I can just remove it and use the roller as normal, but with a pin? Am I right in thinking it's not actually attached?

Last edited:

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Did my first set with the magnetic snap-on rollers last night and am *thrilled* with the results!

My curls were the smoothest and bounciest they've ever been! Have yet to try it on freshly washed hair though. They are definitely a good roller if you want to minimise tangle as there's practically nothing for the hair to catch on, and you don't even really have to unroll them- after you take off the cover they kind of fall out on their own! However, once the cover's on they are very secure- I tossed and turned on them and only one cover had moved slightly, but this did not affect the curl.

They were easier to sleep on than I thought, definitely not as comfy as pincurls or sponge rollers, but nowhere near as bad as velcros, bendies or comb rollers. (Is any kind of roller really comfortable?!) I haven't woken up with a sore neck and shoulders anyway! They were also easier to roll up than I expected, even without end papers. The snap-on bit is slightly fiddly but I expect I'll get the hang of it next time.

I think I'll use them for my once-a-week just-washed set, and then if I need to re-set I'll do standing pincurls. I would recommend these to anyone who's not tried them!

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Congrats on finding the rollers that work for your hair, I have been lazy in regards to rollersetting lately, but I got a whole bin of them in different sizes.

LoserVonTeese

Familiar Face
i have those snap on rollers, they are ok, but i can't seem to get them tight? how to properly roll your hair?, I start at the end and roll up, but i end up with half of the roller covered with my hiar and its not fully covering the roller.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
i have those snap on rollers, they are ok, but i can't seem to get them tight? how to properly roll your hair?, I start at the end and roll up, but i end up with half of the roller covered with my hiar and its not fully covering the roller.

From the sound of it you might be using too much hair on one roller If you find that when you come to put the cover on your hair just spreads out everywhere and you end up with lots of it sticking out off the end of the roller, then you'using too wide a section of hair. That would also explain the tightness issue, I definitely notice the less hair per roller, the tighter the cover fits. If there's ever any that come loose overnight it's always the ones where I' ve used too much hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot