Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*Snoods*

decodoll

Practically Family
I have a couple of snoods. I think they look cute, but I still have to set my hair before putting them on or it doesn't fill it up. :)

The Diva Pinup does really cute flowered snoods with orchids attached.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
When I had long hair I wore snoods all the time. I still have my favorite felt snood from the 1940s and a cheapo navy blue snood from ebay, both waiting for my hair to grow out again. And while my hair is growing out, I’ve been wearing a bun snood to keep the hair in place.

However, I have a few pet peeves when it comes to snoods. 1.) It doesn’t look good if you have short hair and can’t fill out the snood. 2.) The average cheap snood that you can buy on ebay reminds me more of a Rastafarian hat worn incorrectly than a glamorous 40s hair accessory. 3.) Limp hair sticking out of the snood looks really, really bad!

All of these pet peeves came from me looking at my own head in the mirror, so please don’t take them personally! Jitterbugdoll, thanks a million for posting the link to Retro L’Amour! I’ve been hoping to find snoods like that, but always end up finding only the patterns.

Hey, look at me conveniently ignoring CherryRed’s warning about heavy yarn!

ricki

Familiar Face
There are plenty of free patterns you can find on google if you feel like being creative, like this one:
http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/hair/snood.htm

I like the chunky, knit ones. (If you're wearing a hairnet, might as well make it obvious.) You can always dress up your own snood with bows or flowers.

As Rebecca and others have mentioned, it doesn't look good if you can't fill it out. When I had medium (shoulder length) hair, I found that I could wear one as long as I curled my hair.

Trickeration

Practically Family
I have them in white, cream, army green, gold, blue/grey, pink ,navy, red, green, and blue black. They're the same kind Daisy has. I actually found them at a dollar store in a mall last year, which is why I have so many. My daughter wears them more often than I do. Her hair is thick and curly, and it tends to get poofy in damp weather, or after a lot of dancing. I often wear mine with my playsuits and to the beach. Here's my daughter in one with her playsuit. I like the look.
pict1789fs3.jpg

Now how about pronunciation? I've always hear snood pronounced with a long O sound, like in 'boot'. But one friend (and snoods.com) says the vowel sound like in 'foot' or 'put'. I say it with a long O as I've heard in old films, and assume the other is for the Rennaisnce era variety.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Now how about pronunciation? I've always hear snood pronounced with a long O sound, like in 'boot'. But one friend (and snoods.com) says the vowel sound like in 'foot' or 'put'. I say it with a long O as I've heard in old films, and assume the other is for the Rennaisnce era variety.

I say 'Snood' with a long 'o'--it rhymes with 'food.'

Caledonia

Practically Family
Tourbillion said:
I have a black rayon one, no idea from where. I haven't worn it since the late 90's.

I would like to make one though, anyone know where I can get crochet patterns?

Try Free Sample 5. Not the first one you see on the list, go on down. The first one is more 50s, or if it isn't it just doesn't look right. There's another link I found with an even nicer one, and I'll post it when I find it again. Within the next few minutes I hope. :)

http://www.sol.co.uk/c/cbacon/freebiesenglish.htm

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I've worn them before, but I have big hair. I've seen people with short or straight hair use a hair piece to fill up the snood, then just pin it on, it works pretty good, a lot better than a limp empty snood:D .

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Girl Friday said:
I've worn them before, but I have big hair. I've seen people with short or straight hair use a hair piece to fill up the snood, then just pin it on, it works pretty good, a lot better than a limp empty snood:D .
What a good idea. I have a thick ponytail hair piece that I rarely wear, but it would make my snood (I pronounce it like food) look much better. I was planning on getting a shorter haircut, like a just below the chin length bob, so a snood wouldn't look good anymore. Guess I'll still be able to use them if I use the hair piece too. Thanks for the idea, now I feel better about cutting my hair.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Try Free Sample 5. Not the first one you see on the list, go on down. The first one is more 50s, or if it isn't it just doesn't look right. There's another link I found with an even nicer one, and I'll post it when I find it again. Within the next few minutes I hope.

I'd say that both samples 5 and 6 look 1940s-correct (though I personally like the second one better myself :)) They came in a wide variety of styles during that time.

Caledonia

Practically Family
lol I've confused the issue! Let's try that one again. The snood the furthest down which says "crochet sample 5", or the second snood you see going down. I reckon we're in agreement. ;) But what do you think about the first sample? Doesn't strike me immediately as early or wartime 40s in photographic terms, like the second. When did they stop being fashionable?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
No worries :)

But what do you think about the first sample? Doesn't strike me immediately as early or wartime 40s in photographic terms, like the second. When did they stop being fashionable?

Well, with the New Look came cropped hairdos, so women no longer had a need for snoods. After being reintroduced in 1935, they became very popular during WWII. because they contained your hair.

The look of the second one reminds me of this:
47b6d626b3127cce8c5df8d2700800000015108AatmbRq2ctP

Caledonia

Practically Family
Agree! Except I haven't got the cute ickle puppies to go with it. Question. I have a fantastic medium to dark green thread/twine interlaced with gold. Sounds horrendous but is quite muted. Would a 40s gal thinking Christmas or some such have used that for a festive touch? I've been debating whether to embarrass my knitting needles by actually using them, and couldn't bear their laments if I've pushed it too far!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
have a fantastic medium to dark green thread/twine interlaced with gold. Sounds horrendous but is quite muted. Would a 40s gal thinking Christmas or some such have used that for a festive touch? I've been debating whether to embarrass my knitting needles by actually using them, and couldn't bear their laments if I've pushed it too far!

I think that sounds fine--check out this glitzy snood from the 1940s:

snood2.jpg

While perusing the 1930s-40s November-December magazines in my collection, I noticed a lot of metallic accessories--from gold kid flowers, to sequin and feather butterflies, and even metallic mesh snoods.

Caledonia

Practically Family
That's fantastic, thanks. Must remember though, not to get Mother involved. Asked her to trial one of those patterns for me and she's produced a ballerina snood instead. :eek: It's very lovely, but would only snood a jam jar top!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari