Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"So how much do you make a year?" No longer taboo?

Would you ask a non-family member how much they make a year?

• Sure, why not?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No! It's not my business and is in bad form.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • It depends on the situation.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
ARIELLE GREEN, a publicist in Manhattan, knows what most of her friends earn, whether it is $28,000 a year or $100,000. And she does not seem particularly shy about disclosing her income ($30,000 a year, plus overtime).Ilana Arazie, 32, believes in more openness in discussing personal finances.

At 22, Ms. Green, like her friends, is less afraid to flirt with what many over 35 consider the last taboo in American life: discussing salary openly with friends and colleagues. “There’s just more of a feeling of openness in discussing what you make,” Ms. Green said.

Her friends, she said, consider frank talk about income a valuable tool. It helps them strategize — when to push for a raise, when to start looking around. It even helps them figure out plans for a Friday night, whether the assembled cast is better suited to a brick-oven pizzeria or Buddakan.

Yes, elders find it strange. “My parents wouldn’t have this conversation with friends,” she said. For them, Ms. Green said, “it’s very hush-hush. You don’t talk about money, politics, or religion with friends. But in this generation, it’s important.”

For people old enough to remember phone booths, a blunt reference to salary in a social setting still represents the height of bad manners. But for many young professionals, the don’t-ask-don’t-tell etiquette of previous generations seems like a relic...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/fashion/27salary.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Not long ago I was asked by someone ten years my junior how much I make a year and was shocked. I never ever asked that of anyone except, of course, my husband! She's a nice person, and I ended up disclosing a past number, but really in retrospect didn't want to talk about it at all. I'm an old relic, I guess.

Thoughts?

Smuterella

One Too Many
It really depends. If its someone younger, thinking of joining the same sort of field then I'd tell them. Its good to know what you are getting into before finding yourself in an average job doing an average salary.

I wish I'd studied something dry and lucrative like accountancy sometimes....

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I'm dying to know what some of my colleagues make, but also afraid to know as I'm scared it'll be more than me. And I'd be embarrassed if it were more than them, as most of them are older! It's the old story that two people in an identical role could be earning vastly different salaries depending on what they asked for and how much budgets were at the time, or how much the company wanted them. So no, I wouldn't ask a colleague or an acquaintance, and I wouldn't volunteer, but if someone told me their salary first and asked mine, I'd probably tell them.

I know how much most of my friends earn because we discuss it with each other. It's not been a taboo with us as we all graduated together and went into very different fields. I earn more than some and less than others. I earn less than my younger brother, but then he puts in more hours than me, so it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other!

matei

One Too Many
I personally wouldn't ask, just because it doesn't interest me how much other people earn.

However, I think the acceptance of this question depends on where you live. With our friends and family in eastern Europe it isn't a taboo subject. It is often one of the first questions put to you in certain circles.

Lots of friends who moved to western Europe and the US often ran into trouble with this line of questioning, not realising that it is/was frowned upon.

Aviator

Familiar Face
I'm a firm believer in that it really isn't anyone's business in most situations. If it is a stranger asking, I consider it impolite but I work for the US Government so I can just direct them to military pay scales if they really wanna know.

But I disagree with the person saying it is important enough to ask...if you want to discuss it with your friends, fine, but it is poor form to query folks on what they make. Better to frame the question "What is the range someone would make starting out in your field? I'm thinking of going into your line of work and want to know what I should ask for".

It's funny, but I'm in a field where people move often and buy and sell houses when they move. Before the housing bubble burst people would tell you how much they made on the sale of their home, or speculate on what they would make in equity. I found it a bit odd, as I was taught not to discuss money so casually. Now, not too many people have these discussions.

And if you want to share what you make with a strangers, I'm at a loss as to why you would. Are you eliciting sympathy, or trying to show how successful you are? Either way, it is like discussing religion, sex, or politics...it shouldn't be brought up with people you don't know well.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I'm not one for asking others how much they make, though at times I might wonder. In my previous career my salary was a matter of public record--you can look up military pay and allowance scales easily.

In my wife's company the employees are forbidden from discussing what they're being paid. As Fleur mentions it's a case of the company not wanting their employees to know who was the better negotiator or who was wanted more by the company. This apparently is a company that places a premium on paying as little as possible; the majority of their new hires are straight out of university. Most don't last long. Rhonda has been there for only two years and she's the "senior" staff auditor. This is also a company that will fire you if they hear a rumor that you're looking for work elsewhere. It's a common "joke" to beware the phone call telling you to come in to the office and bring your computer... :( It's a small company and a highly dysfunctional one. Nonetheless, Rhonda has gleaned enough to know that she was hired at a significantly higher rate than most, but hasn't received a raise since starting. She's been selected for training to move up to Audit Manager, though. Still, despite the fact that they obviously wanted her and have plans for her she still lives in fear of that phone call to report to the office.

I can see where being able to discuss what you're making and learning what others around you are making can actually help with your career. One of the problems I have while job hunting is dealing with the dreaded "how much do you expect to be paid" question. Since I don't know anyone else in my field around here I have no idea what might be a reasonable figure. Despite saying that any figure I give is negotiable I'm certain that I've lost out on at least one job by giving a salary range when backed into a corner. (Should have taken into consideration that the person I would have been replacing was hired there just out of school. That's what they were looking for, not someone with my extensive background--at least, pay-wise.)

I check out Salary.com, but the figures they give for my area seem to be wildly exaggerated since I live in a depressed area with few positions for IT managers.

Regards,
Tom

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This is something that was never, ever discussed when I was a kid. I didn't know how much my parents made until after they were both gone and I had to dispose of tax records. It was quite a surprise - I wondered how we ate on so little! But it's all relative.

If someone asked me this question, other than a very, very intimate friend, I'd have to decline with something like "good heavens... a boy has to have some secrets!" It's just no one's flippin business.

nunayerbizniz

I've been asked and, unless i'm comparing notes with a contemporary in a comparable job or talking to a family member, i typically decline to speak the truth. I lie through my teeth. A number of people i know only casually believe i make over $90,000 a year. lol lol

bk

Feraud

Bartender
I do not see the issue as taboo but not anyone's business.
The last conversation I need to have with family and friends is about what we all are earning.
There are more interesting things to talk about.

Edward

Bartender
I'm not usually comfortable giving out figures, but I sometimes do in conversation simply because a lot of people over here are wont to assume that as an academic I must be filthy rich. The reality is that I'm earning maybe a third or less of what I would have had I now been approaching the end of my first decade in practicing law in the City (as opposed to teaching it), but I'm a heck of a lot happier, so it all balances out, I suppose.

Academics being rich is probably the second most common wrong assumption folks make. The first is, of course, that I'm on holiday when the students are.... Yeah, right. Summer Holiday from April through October? lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I will only ask if I'm talking with a friend and discussing financial problems or career moves. My boyfriend and I live together and I still only have a vague idea of what he makes. As long as he's paying his bills, it's just none of my business. I will not offer up my own information unless asked by someone I know well. It's just gauche.

I have a good friend who is in a bit of trouble at work right now. He switched jobs within his company, realized that he wasn't making enough money, and wants to move back to his old job. His old boss doesn't want him back because he asked a "friend" at work about his salary, that guy started talking, and now everyone on his old team is disgruntled about what they make.

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
it kinda depnds

on who you are talking with and what kind of relationship you have with that person.

At work the salaries are well known and fixed, so we chat more about grade levels and steps than actual dollar amounts.

With friends the talk has always been in generalities and a "range" instead of hard numbers, unless they are in the same line of work where we again talk grades and steps.

At home, it had always been a painful discussion. mostly because the XYL has a spend and not-save mentality. So much so that at one point her comment went something like "if you put less into the 401K, then I can spend more!". No idea about saving for the future and retirement. :(

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I wouldn't even ask a family member what they make. I won't tell others what I make and I genuinely do not wish to know what others make. I have to deal with money at my job all day long, I don't wish to discuss the matter in my off hours.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Downright vulgar to even ask..!

Believe me, you'd get shown the door very quickly if you even had the naivity & vulgarity to ask! As you've guessed, I wouldn't be overly impressed.

This seems to be a crass way for individuals to compare and make value judgements on others according to how much they get paid and is very devisive and in my mind, destructive [huh]

Quite frankly, the size of your wallet is no indication of the size of your heart ;)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Just another symptom of the overall decay of our society? :eek: :mad:
Sounds like it is just ego driven rudeness from people that measure each other's worth by the size of their bank accounts. Just like my former boss, who based his self worth upon his net worth. Pitiful really,...:(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I would never ask, because I simply don't care what someone else makes. I will, however, mention my own income if necessary to prove a point -- too many people these days assume that poor/working-class people are all dirty, lazy booze-swilling drug-using trailer trash, and I am always more than happy to put such ones in their place.

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Growing up, we were taught you never, ever talk about personal money situations. It just wasn't done.

Now, when people ask me money questions (which is all the time! As in, how much is your mortgage? How much did you pay for that car?) I just look pseudo-shocked and say, "I'm a Yankee girl..we never discuss money! But I can tell you how to make some killer Boston Baked Beans."

I just can't get used to talking about stuff like that with anyone but my spouse, I feel it's rude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats