Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I have a big head...

cjw314

New in Town
Greets; Happy Friday! :D

Obviously, whatever you like to wear trumps all rules. However, I'm curious what the general school of thought says from experience hat-wearing-types like yourselves. Therefore...;

I understand it's less common finding a hat in a 7 1/2, 7 5/8 size, but I can deal with that. Now, though, as I'm experimenting with looks of every kind of hat that fits, it's bothering me how big a hat seems to need to be (crown height, I suppose?) to... well, fit. By then, the hats that fit look clumsy or disproportionate due to being so... large. (reference photos below)

So, I'm wondering if there's any correlation between hat sizes, in general, and styles/characteristics of hats that tend to look better on those of us with big-heads...? -.-

It's my (very new) understanding that a longer ovular faces tend towards taller crowns...? I know the top of my head might prefer a taller crown than the 4.5" crowned cheapo crushable traveler I have sitting on the desk; if anything, just to preserve the shape of the pinch/bash?

Also, what would you do with a 'new' hat that has pinches that pop out due to ... hair/head filling them? Work on reshaping the creases? Get a haircut? :p

OziQp.jpg

Cheapo crushable.

IndL5.jpg

Profile reference.

Thanks in advance and thanks for reading my rambling!

---
Chris

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sometimes I think that those with big heads (I have a small head) look less well in stingy brims, meaning short brims, but in your case they're equally good. I think, now that you tell me you have a large size head, that it is those with large faces who should avoid stingies, at least in my opinion. Some of the members here have worn an Akubra Squatter, for instance, seemingly a wide-brim large hat, and made the hat look normal. So I would say in your case, a large head size may not affect style choice.

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
I feel your pumpkin sized pain. I have only found one vintage hat that fit. It was probably still available because it wouldn't fit anyone else! (Now I know I have competition). Best of luck, just look constantly.

No hard and fast rules, cjw. But in general, the styles that look "right" on a guy are less a matter of his hat size as his other physical attributes -- the shape of his face, the width of his shoulders (and his waistline), his overall build. I know a fellow who is tall (like 6'3" or 4") and thin (maybe 165-170 pounds) who wears a size 7 3/4 or larger hat, on those rare occasions when he wears one. (I'm something of a costume-lending agency for my friends, seeing how my vintage clothing stash doesn't all fit into a large walk-in closet, and that I have a slew of vintage hats in various sizes.) Thing is, what might seem a fairly small difference in head circumference -- 23 1/2 inches vs. 24 1/2, for instance -- makes a HUGE difference in a hat's fit. It ain't like pants, where you might suck in your gut or tighten the belt another notch to make up the difference.

I've been at this for a while now, and unless the gent has an unusually large or small head, I can't honesty say I can tell just by looking what his hat size is. But I usually have a pretty good sense of what sort of hat might best suit him.

And ...

I say that both of those hat styles work for you. You're fortunate that way. Me, I couldn't pull off the stingy brim.

Again, no hard and fast rules, but the wider brimmed hats tend to work better with wider lapels and ties, and the narrower brims with narrower lapels and ties. But wide with wide and narrow with narrow isn't without its exceptions. Consider the Western look -- very wide brims with tight-fitting, low-waisted jeans; string ties; and pointy-toed boots.

I'm a 7 5/8 Long Oval & have a good collection of vintage hats that fit.
I do prefer taller crowns, 5 1/2" open crown minimum.
Looks is all about symmetry, the theory of phi = the golden ratio...
Proportions above matching proportions below.

As far as popping out of the pinch, you are not wearing a hat with enough crown.
I came to fedoras from wearing westerns, so I am used to lots of brim & swoop.
Stetson 100...
100Stet3a.jpg

Custom from Buckaroo Hatters...
buckfs01.jpg

Akubra Campdraft...
dovehat1.jpg

cjw314

New in Town
Nice! Come back from lunch and have some meaty, educational responses; thanks all! :D

danofarlington: I was surprised at how 'un-bad' that stingy looked; I was expecting it to look rather... bad... but I think that was just due to the stigma pop culture has given that hat. I'll be looking for a similar stingy brim, I think - preferably tweed for the winter and more cooperative with my browns.

O2BSwank: Fantastic... Big-heads, unite? ; )

tonyb: Thank you for the clear info; your replies helped it to 'click' in my head that it's not merely head/face to hat that contributes a hat's look/'feel'. I'm 6'4", closer to 200lbs, but am fortunate enough to have an average build. I'm finding out more and more how fortunate I am for that, as I start trying harder to dress more like an adult in general. I've never realized I had it so good being a touch tall and of 'average build'. Also, thanks for the confidence boost. ; )

gtdean48: I thought that might be the case; I'm a little gunshy about such a tall thing on my head adding to my appearance of gigantism. I'm sure part of it is a matter of just starting to wear 'nice' hats, but I'm trying to ignore that part and find a tall crown to try on. Nice looking hats, sir - and along the lines of what I've imagined for myself. Akubra is in my future, I just don't know how distant of a future yet. ; )

Of course, this is still all just the beginning of a hunt for a solid 'dress' hat; I have plenty of events that call for formal and I want a worthy hat to wear. I really don't see this wool crushable being dressy enough for much of anything but raking leaves. :p

---
Chris

Last edited:

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
7 5/8 here as well and I haven't found my hats to be too big in their appearance upon me. But I have stayed away from stingies on purpose.

166457_490533523275_8288656_n.jpg

cjw314

New in Town
Wolfwood: I think a lot of it is just inexperience trying hats on, honestly. We don't have a store here in Louisville that has anything beyond a wool felt fedora at department stores. I may see a tweed bucket or stingy at a resale shop, but nowhere to go try on differing styles. Due to that, I just haven't been able to try on many hats, and the few that I've grabbed that fit, have felt ..."big" or "tall" already. I feel better about the idea, now that I've gotten some reassurance from the FL crew... ; )

---
Chris

EggHead

Practically Family
Chris, the thing about stingies, it's not that they are bad in any way, but can be less practical. If you are looking just for the "looks" - it looks good on you. But a wider brim gives more protection from the sun or rain.

cjw314

New in Town
egghead: If I were to get a stingy brim hat, it would probably not be for function so much as form... I think the stingies can look good with a suit. I do like them more than I thought I would...

Likely not as good as something more brimmy would look on me, though.

---
Chris

Last edited:

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Wolfwood: I think a lot of it is just inexperience trying hats on, honestly. We don't have a store here in Louisville that has anything beyond a wool felt fedora at department stores. I may see a tweed bucket or stingy at a resale shop, but nowhere to go try on differing styles. Due to that, I just haven't been able to try on many hats, and the few that I've grabbed that fit, have felt ..."big" or "tall" already. I feel better about the idea, now that I've gotten some reassurance from the FL crew... ; )
And reassurance is what you deserve - those pics both look very good and the hats suit you.

And, yes, I seem to recall that I was likewise worried in my early hat-wearing days, but it soon passed as I started wearing my hats daily. I still notice people looking above my eyes sometimes when they walk past me, but I no longer wonder about what they might be thinking - or I interpret them all as admiring looks. ;)

pjt113

One of the Regulars
I'm 6'5 and wear a 7 3/4 hat. My rule of thumb is to wear wider brims, a stingy brim on me would look like a stole some kids hat. Crown height for me doesn't really make a difference, but I do lean towards a 5" height

Panacheman

Familiar Face
if its any help you look great in both. you may have a larger hat size but your face narrows enough to pull off a stingy brim as well as any Ive seen certainly better then I can. that aside its the man who wears the hat not the hat that wears the man by which i mean if you wear it with confidence and charisma and treat it almost like an appendage and not a costume piece you can pull off any hat you choose. To my vote is wear both in good health and excellent style

cjw314

New in Town
Good morning to you!

Wow... and good morning to you all as well! ; )

Wolfwood: Honestly, after a just couple days now with the wool crushable, I'm already more comfortable with wearing a tall hat. Getting my hair cut yesterday helped, too; the fit is just better.

Pete: "A stingy brim on me would look like a stole some kids hat" lol @ the image...! I think it gives me a dressy feel - plus, that's the only hat I've tried on that my wife has complimented so far. Even the black wool crushable - I showed her a pic before telling her it was in the house and without hesitation, she said, "Nope." I think she and my young daughters think everything with a brim is a cowboy hat. So, I'm ignoring her hat input for the time being. Haha.

Panacheman: More kinds words; thank you much. It does help! : )

Thanks for weighing in people; I really appreciate the kind words and welcome. I'm sure on some level you can all understand - it's a new experience having another 5" of clearance to worry about. My prior hats were wool knit, baseball or camouflage, but none so... tall.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran