Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So this is what an original WWII-era Hartmann jacket looks like

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It looks in poor shape to with most of the original surface missing and areas of rot. It's just a bike jacket as most are. Like 99% of these jackets that appear on Ebay it does not have any true Luftwaffe provenance.

D

Deleted member 16736

It looks in poor shape to with most of the original surface missing and areas of rot. It's just a bike jacket as most are. Like 99% of these jackets that appear on Ebay it does not have any true Luftwaffe provenance.

If it had a Luftwaffe provenance, I wouldn't have posted it. Nazi memorabilia is not my interest. I liked it as a French cycling jacket, which it is. Most Luftwaffe jackets were French cycling jackets. In fact, the ad calls it a "100% original 1930s/40s Vintage French Motorcycle Jacket."

The thread I wanted it linked to covered French cycling jackets as well as per se Luftwaffe jackets. And yes, the condition is poor, but it's 70+ years old and probably made of sheep leather. ELC calls it a Hartmann jacket, but it was the popular civilian jacket of its day. I will say they did a nice job recreating one now that I can see what an original looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not disputing the fact that it is a 1940s French bike jacket, just that most of these civi jackets posted on Ebay had no link to the Luftwaffe, although it is well known Luftwaffe pilots bought them in the War.

D

Deleted member 16736

I'm not disputing the fact that it is a 1940s French bike jacket, just that most of these civi jackets posted on Ebay had no link to the Luftwaffe, although it is well known Luftwaffe pilots bought them in the War.

I know. Thanks for clarifying. I confused the issue by asking to link it to a thread with Luftwaffe in the title, and as you say, it's obviously not a Luftwaffe jacket. I think it's a cool jacket. The ELC version is pretty nice too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hogspear just sold one, too, that barely reached £100 …

Can you post the pics so we German guys can see them, too? Thanks.

598279172_o.jpg

Main zipper replaced with a German riri. Pocket zips appear to be original French Eclair brand.

598279260_o.jpg

598280412_o.jpg

598280549_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff