Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So when did the boater sink from popular wear?

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
As I posted in the other 'boater' thread, no one carries the hat like ol' Leon:
leoneredbone.jpg

acl1024606553.jpg

If I could do it that well...wouldn't leave the house without one.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Boaters

I wore a boater having attended private school in the 1960s. All the top private schools had them. Now there would be lucky to be 2 or 3 that do. The boater has gone the way of the dodo - almost.:eek: :eek:

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
Seems to me that if you wanted to look arty then, you wore a wiiide brimmed pork pie a la Frank Lloyd Wright (or a beret and a Van Dyke like in the cartoons. lol)

Your correct, towards the end of the war the Be-boppers adopted this style, Lester Young with his Pork and Dizzy with his Beret, and as it seems the rest followed...

But it didn't stop Louis Armstrong from poking a little fun at them...lol lol

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Undertow said:
I love The Sting, especially for its costumes. I remember the FBI agents costumes distinctly, and I remember thinking, "I like those hats, but I don't think they look right with those suits." Now I think I have a different appreciation for both hats AND suits. :)

I faintly remember the commentary specifying that the period depicted was supposed to be early to mid '30's for that movie. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems Redford was wearing a suit that was popular in the '20's and they were afraid a purist would notice.

But I don't suppose that helps date the fall of boaters well, now does it?

:eek:fftopic: The costuming in that movie was all right, except for the ties. Big, fat, godawful ugly '70s things that looked nothing like what '30s men wore. I've noticed the same phenomenon in other "period" movies made around the same time.

Rooster

Practically Family
My old family pictures from the twenties have alot of boaters....alot of hats period! I need to get those scaned for you guys, you'll get a kick out of them. Scottish immigrants for the most part. (Thompsons) There's a couple great moustaches in there too!:eusa_clap

K

kpreed

Hello all,:)
Good question, I love mine and wear it as often as I can. I have always called them "Skimmer", but a straw "Boater" is a term most people will know, is my term wrong?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I was in Henry the Hatter in Detroit this fall and spotted the boaters on clearance (the Italian ones - which are back in production BTW). Alas, there were none in my size.

One thing that he remembers from his boyhood in the twenties was that men would ceremonially put their fists through their straw hats on September 15 when they switched to their felt hats, then buy new staws by May 15, Straw Hat Day. Of course, you could buy a half-decent hat for just a dollar or two back then!

I mentioned this tradition to the fellow behind the counter, and laughed that nobody would do that now because they were too expensive. He mentioned that many folks actually did buy a new boater every season, but rather than destroy the old one, they’d paint it! Anyone following this new tradition? He also said he sold quite a few of them every year, though I don’t know where they’re being worn. I did see a couple at the Independence Day parade this year, but they don’t show up on the street to my knowledge.

I know for a fact that Henry Ford was still wearing straw boaters into the mid-1940s. Somewhere I’ve got a picture of him wearing his soybean suit and a boater - but nobody accused him of being up-to-the-minute with his fashion sense, and depending on your version of history, he may also fall into the “villain” or “eccentric” categories.

I know from studying advertising art that by the mid-to-late 1950s they were definitely considered a period piece to be associated with the 1920s. Somewhere I have a c. 1957 Lincoln advertisement where the old-fashioned way of doing things, represented by a couple dancing the Charleston to a Victrola, is contrasted with the modern cocktail party. The man is wearing a red-striped blazer and a straw boater.

Come to think of it, I think Disney’s “Make Mine Music” from the mid-1940s shows a bunch of hip teenagers throwing a “square” in similar attire, strumming a ukelele, out of the malt shop.

-Dave

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Boaters:

The straw boater was a popular choice for spring and summer months. It held a long and healthy reign in America, all the way from the 1800s to the 1930s, boaters or skimmers can be seen worn by business men, G-men, outlaws, average men, and politicians. Now, the boater was still a popular choice in the 40s, not as much as a straw panama, linen newsboy cap or no hat at all… but, the boater came back for some brief popularity from the Cuban influence and culture that was popular post WWII. I know that the classic boater was being made up into the 60s… a friend of mine has one from the 60s and on the outside; it looks much like an earlier one. The liner has a heavy mid century feel about it.

Skimmers VS Boaters:

The Skimmer was much like the boater, had a narrower brim if I’m not mistaken and the boater had a wider brim. Weave and construction were identical in most cases.

I have two, used to have three! I sold an early skimmer to a friend of mine and I have one boater from the mid 30s and the other is from the 40s.

Myself, I LOVE boaters, I’m looking for one with a wider brim right now though, I think it’s a super look and can make someone look like a tough guy and not a pansy depending on the way it’s worn.

Never wear one straight on your bean, gotta wear it to one side! Gives you the advantage, as to owning the look and not wearing a costume or lookin' like a goof!

Tiller

Practically Family
In my very uneducated opinion :p , I think boaters have a connection with "olde tyme" now adays. Most people who see them today connect them with a barber shop quartet, political conventions, and riverboats.

With that said I think there are people who can pull off the look. Such as Depp when wearing one in Public Enemies.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Tiller said:
boaters have a connection with "olde tyme" now adays. Most people who see them today connect them with a barber shop quartet, political conventions, and riverboats.

I know what you mean, I would credit the association to the “Dixie” connection that the boater or skimmer has is due to mostly what is worn with it. I’ve seen some horrible things worn with a boater/skimmer. Talkin’ about mostly red/white seersucker pants and a dark blue blazer with gold buttons… or blue/white seersucker coat with polyester pants… and neck ties with huge knots… also, it has something to do with the ribbon color… if it’s the standard blue and red ribbon, then yes it’s going to shout one thing… but, if it’s the straight black ribbon that was more traditional in the 20s, it kinda brings it out of the stereotype.

Here’s a photo of my gal and I, the boater I’m sportin’ is the 40s Penny’s I have.

l_b73f4a7f650d45eba922fa334d49a4af.jpg

l_91e308ece85b43d986f793c58aa1b2bc.jpg

And one for the awwwww factor:

l_aba3863c85794479845019a83abde9d5.jpg

Dep, eat yer heart out!;) Warren Oates made it look pretty darn good too!

Dillinger%201.jpg

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
there are lots of boaters in Elmer Gantry the movie was made in 1960, of course it may be set in an earlier time dose anyone know? (great movie for hats and a good movie all around i think) getting off topic i better stop now.

Torpedo

One Too Many
It would seem Depp does not wear the right hat, anyway. Someone posted here at the FL a pic of the actual hat, which is at some museum, and it was a classic stiff boater; Depp wears a softer one in the movie, by reasons unknown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy